Antrel Rolle???? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Antrel Rolle????

Dolfan2788 said:
We interviewed him and so on because he doesn't count as 1 of the 20 people we are allowed to come down for private interviews. I wouldn't be happy if we drafted him because we need Offense more at this point and can pick up a safety in the later rounds.

I still hope we take the BPA. Whatever the position. I can easily fall in love with Brown/Edwards/Williams'/Spears/Rolle etc., but I still want the best football player!

I think Rolle is a safety. His frame screams he will put on weight. I just can't picture him maintaining a CB build and having a long career on the outside vs. NFL burners.

Besides, Rolle is at his best attacking in the backfield. He was phenomenal against FSU in last year's opener. Other than that I thought he had a shaky senior year. It could have been worse if he didn't get the benefit of a doubt on many plays that other DBs would have been flagged for interference. He is a hand fighter on every play.

Remember, in 2002 and 2003 Rolle was playing for Stoops' little brother, the Miami secondary coach. He bolted for Arizona to join the other Stoops brother last season. Miami's coverage schemes and capability fell off sharply last year, especially midseason vs. Louisville and then the unfamiliar ACC foes. I'm not sure how much credit to give Rolle in blanketing Fitzgerald, etc, in 2003, or how much was partially due to Stoops' designs.

I think the new NFL hands off the WR's rule hurts Rolle and players like him, a switch to S makes sense to me. Like the other poster said he stood on his head against FSU and then was really average the rest of the year, and a Freshman WR from VT burned him for what ended up being the winning TD it was a deep crossing route and he was in man coverage but had to chase him in space...

Awsi Dooger said:
Besides, Rolle is at his best attacking in the backfield. He was phenomenal against FSU in last year's opener. Other than that I thought he had a shaky senior year. It could have been worse if he didn't get the benefit of a doubt on many plays that other DBs would have been flagged for interference. He is a hand fighter on every play.

Yes, he did have a pretty unspectacular season LY. Then again, it seemed like he was the Senior that they depended on the most due to the teams inexperience on defense across all positions. One of the reasons he blitzed so much was b/c the line could not create any pressure on its own if its life depended on it. He also couldn't cover a receiver down field for that many more seconds...hell, nobody can!

I talked to Antrel about this yesterday and he said 1. His ideal place to come is the Dolphins... he wants to stay home and he's been a Dolfan his whole life. 2. I asked him about the possibility about being moved over to Safety... he said its not going to happen. He has talked about this with the coaching staff at the Dolphins and a few others and all of them are telling him they would like to keep him at CB. (he prefers this anyway) 3. He knows he will not be taken at #2 but he was hearing that we will likely move down and pick him up a little later.

I personally would be very happy with this pick.. true i am a little bias since he is a friend of mine but at the same time i think he would be a great CB in the league. He is fast and he hits hard... moreover, he has hometown pride. I think it would be a great addition to this team.

Just my opinion...
:missmeth:

DJDolphin44 said:
I think the new NFL hands of the WR's rule hurts Rolle and players like him, a switch to S makes sense to me.

I'd like to know how important the safety position would be in Saban's defense? -The Pat's converted the kid from Clemson to safety...he's played well. Harrison hardly needs to be mentioned.
-We know Ed Reed is a stud in Baltimore.
-Pit drafted that Palomalo??? guy from USC and seems to be good.
-The Browns had actually drafted the safety Jones out of Georgia LY who was supposed to be good, but got hurt for the season in mini-camp/preseason.
-Dallas has another stud in Roy.
-The Chargers are one of those teams rumored to take Thomas Davis.

Anyway, all these teams are 3-4 or looking to convert to 3-4, so is this position critical or is it just a coincidence that the have lucked into good/great players?

MissMeth said:
I talked to Antrel about this yesterday and he said 1. His ideal place to come is the Dolphins... he wants to stay home and he's been a Dolfan his whole life. 2. I asked him about the possibility about being moved over to Safety... he said its not going to happen. He has talked about this with the coaching staff at the Dolphins and a few others and all of them are telling him they would like to keep him at CB. (he prefers this anyway) 3. He knows he will not be taken at #2 but he was hearing that we will likely move down and pick him up a little later.

I personally would be very happy with this pick.. true i am a little bias since he is a friend of mine but at the same time i think he would be a great CB in the league. He is fast and he hits hard... moreover, he has hometown pride. I think it would be a great addition to this team.

Just my opinion...

:eek: Wow! Good stuff! Thanks.

Did you play ball at some point with him or just a friend?

SportyPhinGuy said:
:eek: Wow! Good stuff! Thanks.

Did you play ball at some point with him or just a friend?

Actually, I just noticed you might be a girl, so no need to answer. I'll guess your a friend.:)

We go to school together... been in a few classes together. Just became pretty good friends from being around each other alot. So yes i am a girl and NO i never played ball with him ;).

Now for the record people... i am not saying that we are absolutely going to move down and pick up Antrel... nor is Antrel saying this. What was said is that if we WERE to pick him up, we would trade down a few slots and pick him up then. (just to clarify so i dont get crazy pm's saying i was wrong and i lied or what not)

MissMeth said:
We go to school together... been in a few classes together. Just became pretty good friends from being around each other alot. So yes i am a girl and NO i never played ball with him ;).

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

MissMeth said:
Now for the record people... i am not saying that we are absolutely going to move down and pick up Antrel... nor is Antrel saying this. What was said is that if we WERE to pick him up, we would trade down a few slots and pick him up then. (just to clarify so i dont get crazy pm's saying i was wrong and i lied or what not)

Fair enough...good insight nonetheless.

SportyPhinGuy said:
By the way, since you have spoken to him, what does he think of old St. Nick after meeting him?

I actually didnt ask him... i should see him today i will make sure to ask him that question!

Back
Top Bottom