Antrel Rolle???? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Antrel Rolle????

SportyPhinGuy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I noticed Rolle was one of the guys we recently had a private workout with, and wondered why???? :confused: I know people have said that Nick is simply crossing his T's and dotting his I's, but why would we even consider taking a CB at #2. Maybe we end up trading down and he becomes a more plausible choice. But, with all of our needs, never thought CB was a major one.

I then began to wonder :hmmm: if Nick would consider him at CB or is he really considering a move to FS/SS. We already have Jones, and it seems we agree that he is better at SS than FS. If he is penciled in as a starter at SS, then Rolle could be our new temporary FS/SS in training. We could have 2 safety's that are excellent at run support, and maybe rotate them as blitzers. You never really know who's coming...since Saban likes the unpredictable defense. Not really sure about the X's & O's however.

Then I thought that maybe we could be selecting him for someone else like the Chiefs (or insert your team here)! We could have let in a spy :couch: from the Chiefs at our workout, just for additional insight that the team might want. We would still ship Surtain to them, but include Rolle as well. He could either be another top corner that they covet or their new FS. You would have to think that with Surtain/Knight/Rolle, their pass defense would improve dramatically. They could send us their 1st, 2nd, ? in 2005 and possibly a 1st, 2nd or 3rd in 2006. Possibly even more compensation.

Anyway, just wanted to get some perspective from anyone, or simply create other thoughts. Who knows, maybe Rolle is actually the best athlete/nfl ready player out there.

There are many reasons Saban worked out Rolle and many other players..1. He is a smart coach, 2, There could be possible trade downs from the #2 pick, where we could take Rolle with say the 7th pick from Minn...Also why not see all the top players...It does not cost us anything..It is good for scouting when we play them during the regular season, also how about if we were to sign him when he becomes a free agent down the road, these workouts could show how he has improved or gotten worse...Rolle IMO is going to be Defensive ROY and one of the top shutdown corners in the League...If we trade with Minn...or Dallas I really hope the fins take him if he is still around..Just my 2 cents

UMcanesin05 said:
Also why not see all the top players...It does not cost us anything..It is good for scouting when we play them during the regular season, also how about if we were to sign him when he becomes a free agent down the road, these workouts could show how he has improved or gotten worse...Rolle IMO is going to be Defensive ROY and one of the top shutdown corners in the League...

Valid points. I guess if your at #2, you should take advantage of all your perks. I also think that this past yr the Patsy's showed us what a team could do with avg corners and a good system. Maybe the safety plays a bigger role in this defense, and Rolle would be a good centerpiece to start with...alla Rodney Harrison.

Rolle will be the true definition of a shut-down corner

nick19991 said:
Rolle will be the true definition of a shut-down corner

Hey, the kid did shut down some top receivers in college. Man-to-man looks good, but what about zone. It seems like not all players are made to play in space. The inverse was probably true with Jammar Fletcher.

SportyPhinGuy said:
Hey, the kid did shut down some top receivers in college. Man-to-man looks good, but what about zone. It seems like not all players are made to play in space. The inverse was probably true with Jammar Fletcher.

Rolle shut-down players like L.Fitzgerald and A.Boldin plus he is a great blitzer, he will be great in the NFL

nick19991 said:
Rolle shut-down players like L.Fitzgerald and A.Boldin plus he is a great blitzer, he will be great in the NFL

Don't disagree. I never recall a receiver ever torching Rolle. Except for that Lousiville game, but then again, it looked like they were all open.:D

Some scouts believe that Rolle could be moved to free safety and be another Ed Reed at that position. How high would you draft the next Ed Reed?

MrClean said:
Some scouts believe that Rolle could be moved to free safety and be another Ed Reed at that position. How high would you draft the next Ed Reed?
Or Sean Taylor?

Nolan is considering him at 1. I think a CB can go top 2 if he's worth it.

MrClean said:

There's also a possibility of him being our shut down corner and Poole playing FS.

Madison will be gone soon. That will leave Rolle and Howard our 1 and 2. Then there is a possibility of Will Poole playing FS.

There are many reasons. Rolle won't go #2 to us, but as someone mentioned before if we do trade down I doubt that if he is still on the board from the 7th pick on Saban will be able to pass him up.

Totally agree with the FS/SS idea. Probably will be more of a FS. I remember that Saban was looking closely at Thomas Davis, then just stopped showing any interest in him. Rolle is one of the four that the 49ers are still looking at with the #1 pick. He would solidify our defensive backfield and give Saban a lot of room to work with on the defense. It would be hard to justify selecting him at #2, but if they could trade down with the bucs or someone in the #5-10 range, then he would be a great pick up.

We interviewed him and so on because he doesn't count as 1 of the 20 people we are allowed to come down for private interviews. I wouldn't be happy if we drafted him because we need Offense more at this point and can pick up a safety in the later rounds.

GRYPHONK said:
There's also a possibility of him being our shut down corner and Poole playing FS.

I have thought about the same conversion for Poole before. Why not? As a CB, zone coverage can cover up his lack of speed...but would he not fit in better at FS? He definitely has quick acceleration, a nose for the ball, and a good hitter/tackler.
Listen, in the end, I trust Saban will make the right decision.

UCFinfan said:
It would be hard to justify selecting him at #2, but if they could trade down with the bucs or someone in the #5-10 range, then he would be a great pick up.
Don't forget that Tennesse & Arizona (after the Henry trade ofcourse) are probably desperate for corner help. He may not last much later.

Back
Top Bottom