Any chance of trading down with Browns? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any chance of trading down with Browns?

IMO Seems as though Saben is playing the reverse roll as Miami got played last year when we gave up a 4th rounder to move up one spot to get Carey. Saben shows interest in all the top picks so that if someone has a definite interest in one specific player then they have to pay the price to make sure they get that player. Saben is showing his poker face and keeping everyone guessing in case that situation presents itself.

I believe your question was would we get a 2nd or 3rd according to the chart (Saban already said he'd be sticking to it). On my chart the diff. between #2 and #3 is 400 pts. The 3rd pick in rd 2 is 560 and the third pick in rd 3 is 260. Going strictly by the chart it would probably take a 3rd and a 4th (3rd pick in the 4th is 104 pts.)

BTW I don't agree with all those who say this draft is weak and there were reports from the owner's meetings (Mort, I believe) that several teams agree with me. So I don't buy the "this isn't a normal draft so no team will move up theory".

dominizzo said:
if we do trade cuz browns want smith or rodgers we can get brown but with the points do we get a 2nd or 3rd?

Why would they trade for one spot? They know we'll not take a QB anyway and just sit tight.

But I think the reality is, if we were willing to trade to 3, we weren't shooting for a QB so even if the Browns didn't pull the trigger, we'd end up taking Ronnie.

Unless we draft Smith, then trade him to Cleveland a la the Chargers last year with Rivers. Would be a risky move though.

I'd take a 3rd and 4th round to move down just one spot, but I doubt they would go for it.

We are missing an important point

I think that we are all missing one important thing here. If there are hints or rumors that we are talking about trading the #2 pick to a team interested in Smith, then the browns might be motivated to trade up to ensure they get Smith. Isn't that exactly what we did last year. We traded up, not because (was it minnesota) wanted Carey but because minnesota was going to trade the pick to someone who did. It is not as important that they are sure we will take smith but at least that someone else wants him with our #2.

The Browns really seem to like Charlie Frye so they may not even be looking QB with their #3 pick. Then look to get Frye in the second round.

DeDolfan said:
Why would they trade for one spot? They know we'll not take a QB anyway and just sit tight.

I just don't understand how so many people here make definitive statements: "We're not taking a QB anyway". How do you know that? No one knows that for sure, that's the point. No team can be sure of what we are doing. Saban can sit back and yell at the top of his lungs that he's not impressed by anyone at #2 and will give the pick away for peanuts (obviously he hasn't done that) but that still doesn't give any indication of who he will take IF we stay. Additionally the notion that the moment we tell Cleveland we're willing to trade down one pick, we are essentially letting them know that we're not that high on Smith is silly. Maybe we value Smith over Ronnie Brown but value Ronnie Brown + compensation from Ceveland over Smith.

Lot's of fans make definitive statements and it always drives me crazy. "Since Ricky wil never be back, we should do 'x'", "Since we're not going to take a QB at #2 ...".

hey dude just relax. its nice to dream every once in a while
caneaddict said:
I just don't understand how so many people here make definitive statements: "We're not taking a QB anyway". How do you know that? No one knows that for sure, that's the point. No team can be sure of what we are doing. Saban can sit back and yell at the top of his lungs that he's not impressed by anyone at #2 and will give the pick away for peanuts (obviously he hasn't done that) but that still doesn't give any indication of who he will take IF we stay. Additionally the notion that the moment we tell Cleveland we're willing to trade down one pick, we are essentially letting them know that we're not that high on Smith is silly. Maybe we value Smith over Ronnie Brown but value Ronnie Brown + compensation from Ceveland over Smith.

Lot's of fans make definitive statements and it always drives me crazy. "Since Ricky wil never be back, we should do 'x'", "Since we're not going to take a QB at #2 ...".

i don't think the browns will trade. their recent high first round history is bad, and they have too many holes to fill. they need everything but a running back, although they do have a decent receiving corps. since the team is really blowing the thing up and starting over, i don't think that scenario calls for trading up.

I think if we can scare CLE into thinking we have somebody willing to trade up for Smith(assuming they want him that is). Then the trade would be somthing like: #3 a 3rd and a 2nd in '06

Back
Top Bottom