Any Chance We Move To A 3-4? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any Chance We Move To A 3-4?

whatever can make a TJ Watt type an option for us to draft

also hopefully there is a position in Flores's D for Charles Harris to save his career

Under Nolan, Miami's defense was Top 5 against the run. And, they were one of the few defenses in the league able to slow down Brady and his offense. The ONLY reason that Sparano's team didn't consistently beat out the Pats for the Division Title is because the Front Office refused to spend high draft picks on offensive skill position players. They had the defense, but a lack of talent on the offense kept them from scoring enough points. Far too often, Miami's defense would do great against "elite" teams, but their offense had to settle for FGs instead of TDs and they'd lose.

If Ross had only immediately replaced Ireland with someone who could recognize offensive talent. Give that team a big dose of talent at the skill positions while keeping the same defensive scheme, and they'd be at the top of the division every year... not the Pats! This is why I've HATED what Ross has done to the team. The Philbin hiring not only changed and ruined a good defense, but Philbin's offensive philosophy turned out to be even worse than what they ran under Sparano, and Philbin even had more talented skill position players on offense! Gase then continued what Philbin had started.

If Ross wants an answer as to why his team sucks, he just needs to look in the mirror. Instead of adding offensive talent to a good defense, he decided to completely change everything and ran the team right down the toilet.

Hey g, annnnnnnd they were 14th overall, a 3-4 style, with Paul Soliai as nose tackle, and yet here we are. S. Ross, will he and the front office get it right, "I see Duke people"

The Ever On The Aggressive 3-4 D Bandwagon VIPER

we will be multiple im sure. just watching the pats play they are all over the place. we need a pass rusher and be thicker at the lb position

So you think 4-3 is only wide nine?

I'm certainly not in favor of continuing with Burke's philosophy, but that has nothing to do with what the actual advantages/disadvantages of changing to 3-4 are.

It was sarcasm

Expect Miami to use more DB's.

This is the new NFL. Nickel is the new base, and 6 DB's (I still dislike using the term Quarter … too confusing with Quarters which is a coverage scheme) is quickly becoming 'base' for lots of teams.

The Patriots liked to use multiple fronts. I'm sure we'll be doing a lot of that too. To the question of whether we're going to be using 3 DL, the answer is yes. But, the chances that we'll be using 4 LB's is low. The current trend is to take more physical DB's and play them as LB's.

With that in mind, I'm hopeful we finally see TJ McDonald used as a hybrid SS/LB and we utilize Fitzpatrick as a true FS all season. Trying to fit McDonald into SS and mis-use Jones as a FS and Fitzpatrick as just a nickel was a poor use of talent, IMHO. Keep McCain in the slot (Nickel), use Fitzpatrick as the FS and Jones as the SS. Then use McDonald as a LB most of the time, with injury flexibility as SS.

Our best unit on defense is the secondary, and if we utilize our talent right there, we should be very good. Every teams always needs more CB's … that's just the nature of the game these days, but all we really need on defense are good (and young and uninjured) pass rushers.

Then if we can rebuild our OL with young, healthy talented guys, we'll be in excellent position to add a QB in the 2020 draft.

If we do switch to a 34 polite at 13 becomes very possible to me as a wolb add.
There are a half-dozen guys I'm targeting that have the flexibility to eventually be combo 34 OLB's and 43 DE's. I like Polite, but I also really like Brian Burns. Burns needs to put some muscle on that frame regardless, but he looks like he could grow into an excellent pass rusher who could seal the edge in the run game as well as rush the passer from lots of different formations.

We're lucky, this draft has a lot of talent at our position of greatest need (DE) who could also play OLB in the multiple scheme that we are likely to use under Flores.

Last edited:
It was sarcasm
OK. In my defense, it's nearly impossible to tell around here sometimes.

My question still stands. Many advocate for a 3-4. What are the perceived advantages, from a technical standpoint?

Considering our new (rumored) coaches, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't change to multiple/hybrid fronts. I would be hard pressed to take a two-down player (Dexter Lawrence) at 13 when edge rushers are sitting there. Especially when you're going to run nickel most of the time. I see several evaluators ranking him end of round 1 or top of round 2 but we need some guys who can two-gap.

I see a lot of people singing the praises of Taylor and Godchaux. Yes, they over-performed for their draft positions AND they have the potential to get even better BUT I only view them as above average at this point. I could see sticking them on the ends in a 43 or lining them up as 3 and 5 tech's in the 43 under so we will definitely need a NT/UT as well as an edge rusher.

Fronts are probably not a huge issue as NE was running base D on about 15% of the snaps and also running a lot of dime (something we hardly ever did). Versatility is the key.

We would need someone who can play 34 strong side LB and switch to SLB in the under front.

Also need a weak side rusher who can play LEO and WOLB. That would be the biggest value in round 1, IMO.

I like the idea of adding Trey Flowers, who has the versatility and can play that strong side spot. Another NE player on the market is Danny Shelton for NT. Didn't set the league on fire but is a good two-down player who won't break the market. Not an elite player but....

One of our biggest needs on D is outside corner. If we can fill that spot, we are looking pretty good like this.....

CB Howard
FS Fitz
SS Jones (stay in the box)
CB ?
Nickel McCain

If Flores is as advertised, he'll get Tankersley back in position to start. Use a safety to help him and let Howard shadow opposing #1 WR.

Right now our issue is having two box safeties making starter money (and big dead cap hits), no #2 corner & no edge rushers to build around. Then we have Kiko, Baker and McMillan. I think the youngsters are the future with Kiko as the odd man out. He's prime cut material looking at his cap numbers and place as a progress stopper. Especially if we go 3-4 even though his is probably the best option for WLB in a 4-3.

Could swap out McMillan for TJ in big nickel but extending TJ was a HUGE mistake.

Considering our new (rumored) coaches, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't change to multiple/hybrid fronts. I would be hard pressed to take a two-down player (Dexter Lawrence) at 13 when edge rushers are sitting there. Especially when you're going to run nickel most of the time. I see several evaluators ranking him end of round 1 or top of round 2 but we need some guys who can two-gap.

I see a lot of people singing the praises of Taylor and Godchaux. Yes, they over-performed for their draft positions AND they have the potential to get even better BUT I only view them as above average at this point. I could see sticking them on the ends in a 43 or lining them up as 3 and 5 tech's in the 43 under so we will definitely need a NT/UT as well as an edge rusher.

Fronts are probably not a huge issue as NE was running base D on about 15% of the snaps and also running a lot of dime (something we hardly ever did). Versatility is the key.

We would need someone who can play 34 strong side LB and switch to SLB in the under front.

Also need a weak side rusher who can play LEO and WOLB. That would be the biggest value in round 1, IMO.

I like the idea of adding Trey Flowers, who has the versatility and can play that strong side spot. Another NE player on the market is Danny Shelton for NT. Didn't set the league on fire but is a good two-down player who won't break the market. Not an elite player but....

One of our biggest needs on D is outside corner. If we can fill that spot, we are looking pretty good like this.....

CB Howard
FS Fitz
SS Jones (stay in the box)
CB ?
Nickel McCain

If Flores is as advertised, he'll get Tankersley back in position to start. Use a safety to help him and let Howard shadow opposing #1 WR.

Right now our issue is having two box safeties making starter money (and big dead cap hits), no #2 corner & no edge rushers to build around. Then we have Kiko, Baker and McMillan. I think the youngsters are the future with Kiko as the odd man out. He's prime cut material looking at his cap numbers and place as a progress stopper. Especially if we go 3-4 even though his is probably the best option for WLB in a 4-3.

Could swap out McMillan for TJ in big nickel but extending TJ was a HUGE mistake.
Not that I agreed with the move, but I think the plan was to move on from Jones, and his contract. When we ended up short handed in the secondary, that was no longer possible.

Remember, he was being phased out, and threw a hissy fit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't NE run both a 4-3 and a 3-4? If Miami goes to a 3-4 maybe a player like Harris would be a better fit? The Dolphins would definitely need some bigger DE's.

Not that I agreed with the move, but I think the plan was to move on from Jones, and his contract. When we ended up short handed in the secondary, that was no longer possible.

Remember, he was being phased out, and threw a hissy fit.

I never heard anything about being phased out when they had JUST extended his contract before the season. McDonald has a 6.5M dead cap if released. Jones has a $12M dead cap if traded or released. Why give up a PB player and take that kind of cap hit? It's hard to blame him for being angry about being misused. If anything, they should have been letting Jones stay in the box and swap out TJ for Minkah. Made zero sense to me. So much for interchangeable safeties.

I never heard anything about being phased out when they had JUST extended his contract before the season. McDonald has a 6.5M dead cap if released. Jones has a $12M dead cap if traded or released. Why give up a PB player and take that kind of cap hit? It's hard to blame him for being angry about being misused. If anything, they should have been letting Jones stay in the box and swap out TJ for Minkah. Made zero sense to me. So much for interchangeable safeties.
Jones wasn't extended with Flores here. It's a new staff now and that was a horrible contract for a SS that's over 30 and has been hurt several times. The contract does make it hard to move on from him but ideally he would be gone as he won't be a part of the team anyway by the time they're ready to compete.

Jones wasn't extended with Flores here. It's a new staff now and that was a horrible contract for a SS that's over 30 and has been hurt several times. The contract does make it hard to move on from him but ideally he would be gone as he won't be a part of the team anyway by the time they're ready to compete.

I don't think Flores would mind having him but you could be right. $17M cap hit. What a joke. ($11.115M of 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/16/2018) ($2.1M of 2020 fully guarantees on 3/15/2019).

I don't think Flores would mind having him but you could be right. $17M cap hit. What a joke. ($11.115M of 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/16/2018) ($2.1M of 2020 fully guarantees on 3/15/2019).
Tbaum at his best. I'm glad he's not making any more decisions

Back
Top Bottom