Any news on Michael Egnew? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any news on Michael Egnew?

I am hoping to see him at least get some touches, if he cant block, line him out wide and let him catch the ball. We dont desperately need Fasano's blocking like before as our Oline is holding up nicely. He must really be struggling to learn the playbook, or he must really suck in practice.

One Dolphin said third-round pick Michael Egnew has had trouble remembering the plays; another was skeptical about his longterm chances.
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...heat-marlins-canes-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Egnew, who hasn’t been active for any of Miami’s four games, remains the one disappointment in the group, with offensive coordinator Mike Sherman acknowledging this week that the 78th overall pick is still making “rookie mistakes.”
The Dolphins believe Charles Clay is clearly ahead of Egnew as a No. 2 tight end and like using Jaron Mastrud for about a dozen plays a game, because of his value as a blocker.
Egnew, whom the Dolphins envision as a potential stretch-the-field threat, wasn’t asked to block a lot at Missouri.
“I’m way better as an in-line blocker than when I got here,” he said. “I’ve got to be more consistent with pass catching. [General manager] Jeff Ireland tells me to keep getting better. He views me as a weapon.”
Egnew said he’s not scarred by Sherman telling him in preseason that he would cut Egnew if Sherman were general manager – a scene aired on HBO’s Hard Knocks. “I have thick skin,” Egnew said. “He’s a great coach and his methods are not questionable.”
But he said he needed to become more “private” on social media after that unfortunate moment on Hard Knocks, because so many people were commenting about it.
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...s-rookies-beyond-tannehill.html#storylink=cpy

The latest updates from Barry Jackson on Egnew....

Dwayne Allen from Clemson was drafted by Colts 14 spots above Egnew. Difference being the Colts didn't have a veteran TE. So Fleener and Allen are both starting for the Colts.
Allen has 10 catches for 76 yards. Fleener had 13 catches for 169. Not like Egnew is losing much ground in the stat world to the 2 TE's that were taken above him.

Ladarius Green was picked 32 spots after Egnew and has 1 reception sitting behind Gates and McMichael on S.D roster. Obviuosly picked to replace one of these guy in the future.

Evan Rodriguez was picked 33 after Egnew and has yet to see the field for Chicago

Orsen Charles was picked 34 spots after Egnew and has 2 reception for the Bengals.

There is not a lot of production from the 2012 TE's drafted. No Gronks in this batch.

Don't worry they have a plan for Egnew.

I read somewhere that he was still pretty bad. In fact they are concerned with him long term.

When you have a veteran (fasano) and an experienced player (clay) with 3 TD's last year what makes you think just because he is 3rd round pick he is instantly better than them?

Coaches are playing the best players right now. Doesn't mean that Egnew wont be starting next year or later this year.

Where in my post did I say he was better than anyone on our roster?

Where in my post did I say he was better than anyone on our roster?

You didn't. But you must understand that all 3rd round picks don't make the field right off the bat. It depends on the roster they were selected too.

You don't play him just because he's a 3rd round pick.

You didn't. But you must understand that all 3rd round picks don't make the field right off the bat. It depends on the roster they were selected too.

You don't play him just because he's a 3rd round pick.

Its call a return on your investment. If we wanted a TE to sit could have gotten a 6 or 7th rounder. He is not even on ST. For what its worth if he cant come in and play any better than Clay is playing right now send him to the unemployment office we can get a more versitile player in the game. If the coaches dont beleive he will show up when his number is called cut him. Who believed Hartline could get numbers before he did it? Not a lot of people. RT was a project until he came and turn heads. Matt Moore is a ****ty practice player. We dont know what Egnew is until he sees game action.

And we have 4 years on that investment. Brian Hartline was a 4th round pick and only started 2 games in his rookie year. Now in his 4th year he leads the league in receiving yards.

Long time to go before you give up on Egnew.

I think Egnew, having played in the big12 and in that high octane, no defense style of football, is currently adding bulk to his frame and getting stronger. He wasn't really asked to block at Mizzou. We have Fasano and potential in Clay, so we can afford to let him develop and get stronger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19G4UxtDRSo

Egnew doesn't have to become Gronkowski by next week. We drafted him and planned on coaching him for awhile. He'll be ok. Not next week though! He's got good hands and size. He'll be a red zone target before long. Give him some time...

88 snaps

That's how many snaps Jermichael Finley played for the Green Bay Packers as a rookie.

People read a little too much into Michael Egnew's not making it out onto the field. You know how I know it's not as big a deal as people make of it? Look at Lamar Miller. Look at Rishard Matthews. We all have seen Lamar Miller go out there and play excellent football. That's not up for argument. We've seen him break off good runs, average 5.5 yards per carry, score a touchdown on a big run against the Raiders, etc. Where was he during the Bengals game? Not on the field. Not one snap. Not a single goddamn snap. Daniel Thomas was out there instead. And Rishard Matthews, we all saw how he played in preseason. He was the only receiver other than Bess that even looked competent. We all saw that. It's not up for argument. We saw that touchdown he scored with pure strength, similar to the touchdown you saw Reggie Wayne score to win the game against the Packers this weekend. We saw him create separation, we saw him make a tough grab while falling down on his back. He's only even dressed for one game. Legedu Naanee kept dressing and playing in front of him. LEGEDU NAANEE! And he's now unemployed!

I think this offensive coaching staff is just weird when it comes to rookies playing on offense. Some they seem to run away with and never look back for good or ill (Ryan Tannehill, Jon Martin). Some they inexplicably (and I do mean INEXPLICABLY) bury on the depth chart...potentially hurting the team in the process.

So I think about that every time I'm tempted to think to myself, gee ya know Michael Egnew hasn't been out on the field yet this year...he must suck.

As for Charles Clay, there was a significant change in Mike Sherman's demeanor about him from last week to this week. Last week he was talking about how he needs to get him going more and it's his own fault he hasn't, said he's doing great, no problems, etc. This week he was very harsh in his criticism of Clay for going out of bounds at the end of the game (deservedly so). I don't think Clay will get many more chances to show some awareness out there before they do start putting in the rookie.

Dwayne Allen from Clemson was drafted by Colts 14 spots above Egnew. Difference being the Colts didn't have a veteran TE. So Fleener and Allen are both starting for the Colts.
Allen has 10 catches for 76 yards. Fleener had 13 catches for 169. Not like Egnew is losing much ground in the stat world to the 2 TE's that were taken above him.

Ladarius Green was picked 32 spots after Egnew and has 1 reception sitting behind Gates and McMichael on S.D roster. Obviuosly picked to replace one of these guy in the future.

Evan Rodriguez was picked 33 after Egnew and has yet to see the field for Chicago

Orsen Charles was picked 34 spots after Egnew and has 2 reception for the Bengals.

There is not a lot of production from the 2012 TE's drafted. No Gronks in this batch.

Don't worry they have a plan for Egnew.

You're making some GREAT posts on this thread Fins1971! Much appreciated.

The MO on Agnew on draft day was, he was more about wide receiver tight then a blocking tight end. The draft gurus from both ESPN and NFL.com said it would take a year of putting on muscle for him to play as a true NFL tight end. Based on that, and his lack of maturity shown on hard knocks, I would say you won't see him, this year, unless injuries decimate the depth chart.

I for one am willing to give this coaching staff the benefit of the doubt on their judgments at this time.

Give the guy a break. It is his 1st year. The same was being said about Reshad Jones in 2010/11.
Now look at him in his 3rd year.

No patience with this fan base at all. Its all about instant gratification even though he is a 3rd round pick.

OMG, Miami fans are awful for expecting a mid round 3rd pick to produce results or at least get onto the field. I mean they should know that only Miami drafts a project prospect in the 3rd rd. People aren't patient with Egnew because he's half of the Marshall trade and he's not doing anything and Miami needed a WR there instead of him.

Back
Top Bottom