Any training camp notes, thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any training camp notes, thoughts

FORMER FIN1

Starter
Reaction score
I'm not interested in going to Terre Haute, Indiana to watch the Colts and Peyton's bursa sac practice, but I am interested if anyone has any notes, observations or thoughts on the first days of our training camp practice? Looked like McCown handling alot of snaps. That out to make WV and the Beck hater crew happy.

I'm not interested in going to Terre Haute, Indiana to watch the Colts and Peyton's bursa sac practice, but I am interested if anyone has any notes, observations or thoughts on the first days of our training camp practice? Looked like McCown handling alot of snaps. That out to make WV and the Beck hater crew happy.
Training camp for the Dolphins doesn't start until the 26th.

Training Camp Battles

Miami Herald's Six-Pack of Competition for Starting Jobs
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/610812.html

• Quarterback: Though Josh McCown is considered by many to be the front-runner because of experience, the Dolphins have told NFL people the battle remains competitive with John Beck, and preseason performance will determine the winner. Several players thought McCown was better in May/June drills, but another starter favored Beck. Chad Henne remains an underdog, though nobody would be shocked if he was starting at some point this season.

• Offensive guard position opposite Justin Smiley: One lineman said the unit was most cohesive this offseason with Trey Darilek at that guard spot, but the Dolphins ideally would like him as a top reserve. Steve McKinney (out with an injury in May/June practices) is a strong candidate to fill the job, but the Dolphins are noncommittal about his role.

• Defensive end spot opposite Vonnie Holliday: Matt Roth is making a strong push to hold on to his job, though Randy Starks was given a big deal (five years, $21 million,
$7 million guaranteed), and the Dolphins like his size (312 pounds). Roth -- who remained ahead of Starks with the first team in offseason work -- bulked up from 272 to 285, and defensive line coach Kacy Rodgers said Roth is now big enough to play end in a 3-4 defense.

• Tight end: Nobody would be surprised if Anthony Fasano, off a shoulder injury, wins the job -- the Dolphins love his blocking and see receiving ability. (He caught 92 passes in his career at Notre Dame.) ''Fasano improved -- he's going to be a big help for them,'' predicts former Dallas teammate Terrell Owens, who was impressed with Fasano's pass-catching in Cowboys practices.
The Dolphins want to take greater advantage of the downfield receiving skills of incumbent starter David Martin, Fasano's main challenger. That skill appealed to the former Dolphins regime, and yet, according to Joyner, only one of the 48 balls thrown toward Martin in 2007 traveled more than 20 yards (a 28-yard completion).

• Cornerback spot opposite Will Allen: Players say André Goodman looked very good this off-season -- ''He's getting his quickness back and using his hands a lot more,'' receiver Derek Hagan said. Goodman played mostly first-team snaps opposite Allen in May/June work, while Michael Lehan played mostly nickel-back.

• Safety spot opposite Yeremiah Bell: Jason Allen, who got consistent first-team snaps in May/June, enters as the front-runner, but Renaldo Hill (who expects to be 100 percent after last year's knee injury) and Chris Crocker will challenge. Defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni likes what he has seen from Allen: ``Very, very good athlete. He's got a lot of range -- there's a lot of things he could do for you back there.''

Training camp for the Dolphins doesn't start until the 26th.

So the photos in the Herald were from the june mini camp I presume. That's the first I've seen them and I get a daily email. Why were they so late in posting them? It does explain Blitz's opinion on McClown. (light bulb lighting up)

I love redskin fan....when was the last time a trade worked out for them? I recall the Bruce Smith deal too....how did that work out?

I love redskin fan....when was the last time a trade worked out for them? I recall the Bruce Smith deal too....how did that work out?

I'd say trading our 1st in the draft this year for two 2nd round picks :wink:

That said, it is too early to tell.

I'm actually excited for Dolphins training camp....I'll take any football I can get.

Back
Top Bottom