Anybody else worried about our secondary? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody else worried about our secondary?

rookieholdout

Rookie Holdout
Reaction score
I hear all the time about how we need to improve our o-line and our qb situation which i totally agree with but i rarely here somebody saying anything about our secondary. We went from having one of the top secondaries in the league to only having one pro-bowler. After getting rid of brock i was kinda sad but the acquisition of sammy knight made it better. I was never really worried about our secondary because everytime we got rid of a player we would get another pro-bowl caliber player. But this year after letting sammy go and trading surtain (which i know was necessary due to cap issues) we didnt get anybody of that caliber. During this offseason we addressed our run stopping problem but with the nfl being a passing oriented league now i feel teams will see how weak our secondary is and just shoot down the field. Is anybody else worried about this???

I'm not worried. We'll get more pressure on the QB.

I'm not worried at all. The last 5 years bar last year have been great so I'm liking that ratio to get us back on track.

I was thinking the same thing...more pressure on the QB to help offset the weakness of the secondary

A great defensive line can make a good secondary. With JT and with whomever is opposite rushing the QB, it's going to be forcing the QB to make bad decisions or just fall on his A$$. Not to mention the biggest improvement from last year would be our RUSH D which has Larry Chester back (TimBo for however long), Kevin Carter, Vonnie Holliday, Jeff Zgonina, Seau back, Zach Thomas healthy, and new draft acquistions Matt Roth (will be beneficial mostly on passing rushing) and Channing Crowder. I like how our defense has improved and I'm not that worried about our secondary. Our CB's are fine with Sam "DOLLY" Madison, Reggie Howard, Will Poole, Mario Edwards, and Travis Daniels. Some nice DEPTH, which we can always use. Our safeties are where we need some work but Tebucky Jones was a nice acquistion in my honest opinion, and FS is the big question mark but the top two leading candidates seem to be Tillman and Bell and I think whomever wins the job between the two should be a servicable starting FS. I think we should be worrying about our offense more than our defense.

I think our corners will be fine, I only worry about who will play FS. If Bell can stay healthy than I have no worries at all.

I'm very worried.

I'm not even totally confident with our #1 cornerback, let alone the rest.

There's no clear cut #2. All I can hope is that Nick watched that USC Michigan game last year. Poole sacked Navarre twice. I think he's a playmaker who should be on the field a lot at some position.

Our Strong Safety seems to be locked in with this being Jones' natural position and his doing well playing at Free last year.

But what about our FS spot? Bell? Tillman? Meeuwsen? Poole? Bua?

I'm not very confident with any of those. Maybe Poole, but cornerback is a hot commodity, so he should stay there.

It is true that we'll be getting infinitely more pressure on the Quarterback, but still. Our secondary appears to be weak.

The truth is that none of us know what it will look like. These guys that we have are not yet proven to be bad, so there's hope.

I'm sure Nick will make it fine and it will all work out come game time, even if it doesn't look promising to us now.

byroan said:
I'm not worried. We'll get more pressure on the QB.

And that will help guys like Will Poole. He's no Surtain yet, but he'll be solid.

Saban is considered a master teacher of defensive backs

Saban is considered a master instructor of defensive backs. He will most definitely have his work cut out for him. But this is where we find out about our coach. Meeuwsen and Bua are dark horses here for roles. Another dark horse if he is signed might be Elam from Kent St. He has a lot to prove due to his checkered past with the law.

At cb, Poole has to step up, but I believe he is capable.

And do not forget, this is not the one year plan. This season may be quite rocky. I expect a high round draft pick next year.

Lee2000

FS is an issue. Plus, Poole, Edwards, Howards are unknowns right about now. Otherwise it should be solid.

Back
Top Bottom