Anyone else is scared of the one year contracts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else is scared of the one year contracts

Quelonio

El rey de la Pachacha
Reaction score
We got at least two players who could turn out to be important players in one year contracs: Stockar McDougle and David Boston, What if both of them play their lights out this year? Then they are free, we would not only have to pay McMike a huge contract, but we would have Stockar and Boston.

I think Saban did an awwesome job at just giving Boston a one year for the veteran minimum contract, he is too much of a known liabillity and has not played well for a while now. But McDougle, with the ridiculous contracts that tackles are getting, why not make him a multiyear contract now that he is still cheap????

It wouldn't really matter. Had we signed them to 2 year, lower money deals and they played lights out, they'd more than likely hold out for more money next year anyway.

Because if Boston turns out to be a bust, he becomes a multi-year bust. I think we have to accept taht Saban is buidling a team through the draft for lengevity, and players like McDougle and Boston are just filler, holdovers until we field a solid, young team. The hope of course is that in these short periods this team overachieves with the talent it definitely has and make some runs into the playoffs.

What also scares me is how long our coaches like Linehan and Houck (sp?) will stay with the team. Houck sure didnt stick around in SD, and Linehan is bait for any coaching positions opening up in the near future.

if boston returns to form well then imo he is part of the future. the guy is 25yrs old and i think younger then chambers.

No one will pay Houck what we pay him... they guy is making a ton of $$ for an oline coach. AND, i hear your point, but Boston will remember who gave him a chance when no one else would and he wants to be here. Stockar could be a problem.

cljh19 said:
if boston returns to form well then imo he is part of the future. the guy is 25yrs old and i think younger then chambers.

I hope he does because I live in Arizona and remember him in his prime, and that play on our team would make for an outstanding receiver corps. Of course then you have to start worrying about so much cap devoted to the receivers (including the high sum McMichael is no doubt expecting).

Yes, good post. I felt that way when they signed. You just got to hope that there are some players that just want to play for a good team and a good coach, and with us giving them a chance, they turn around and work with us if they do play lights out. Look at Udonis Haslem, though rare, it does happen. The Dolphins have been very good to David Boston, and Stockar is a Miami native, and has Drew as his agent. Remember, if a player went to Drew and said, hey look, I want to play in Miami for what they are offering, I don't want to play in Arizona where they offered more, Drew's not going to not let his player sign.

cljh19 said:

Chambers born 8/12/78
Boston born 8/19/78

ScrepsMJ said:
Chambers born 8/12/78
Boston born 8/19/78

well see they are very close in age. like i said if boston returns to form we have a great duo for years to come.

I've come to the conclusion that McMichael may not be on this team next year. I'm not saying he won't be but there is a chance that another team could offer much more money than we have. With that we could use the money to retain McDougle. If I'm not mistaken St. Clair is in his last year of contract, if McDougle does well enough I rather spend my money on McDougle than pay McMichael....possibly making him the best paid TE in the NFL or close to it. As good as McMichael is I think that OL is more important to this team. There should be some decent depth at TE in the 2006 draft and please also note that we have Alex Holmes who I believe is a huge sleeper for this team and WILL beat out Lee for the #2 job. I'm not downgrading what McMicheal has done for this team and his talent level, possibly in the top 3 or 4 best TE's in the NFL. Remember the name Alex Holmes, he's not the reciever that McMicheal is but he is a very good blocker and can catch the ball.

Well guys when Saban started out signing these guys
to 1 and 2 year contracts,i feel it was to recieve Draft compensation.

for when these player do leave the team.

Despacio said:
Because if Boston turns out to be a bust, he becomes a multi-year bust. I think we have to accept taht Saban is buidling a team through the draft for lengevity, and players like McDougle and Boston are just filler, holdovers until we field a solid, young team. The hope of course is that in these short periods this team overachieves with the talent it definitely has and make some runs into the playoffs..
McDougle & Boston are 28 & 26 years old respectively.

Despacio said:
What also scares me is how long our coaches like Linehan and Houck (sp?) will stay with the team. Houck sure didnt stick around in SD, and Linehan is bait for any coaching positions opening up in the near future.
Both of their contracts were up. Why would they stick around when Miami was offering such nice deals?

The way you make it sound they walked out on their former employer.

Well a lot of coordinators walk away from their teams for head coaching jobs all the time. look at the patsies. If linehan turns us into an amazing offense, he very well could be looking at an offer for a head coaching job in a year or so. But, he IS making a lot of money with us as it is.

Back
Top Bottom