Anyone else think Defense may be a weak link again this season?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else think Defense may be a weak link again this season??

I guarntee you the defense is the weak link this year, just like last year. not sold on sean popcorn smith not sold on chris clemmons. not sold on Koa Misi and I think Randy starks will strugle at the Nose.

I guarntee you the defense is the weak link this year, just like last year. not sold on sean popcorn smith not sold on chris clemmons. not sold on Koa Misi and I think Randy starks will strugle at the Nose.
I agree, the defense is full of question marks this year.

Obviously the defense is going to be the weak link vs the offense. NO brainier here.

Look, people should not fool themselves about this defense. It is very young at some key positions. Therefore, it is going to take some lumps this next season. With that said, I do believe that we will be better then last year. Nolan improves play calling, schemes and preperation immensly. The D-line will be good this year. I not big on the move of Starks but he may surprise us. Otherwise I think new additions provide good depth and Grant brings quite a bit of potential. Merling getting hurt may have been a blessing in disguise. Now we wont have the headache of his trial to deal with during the season. The LBs are really improved in the middle from last year and the outside is young and filled with talent. Wake and Misi should play well but will make mistakes during the year. I would have liked to have kept Taylor from a leadership standpoint but at some point everyone leaves. Porter's loss will not be fealt. The top three CBs have the potential to be in the top teir of the league. If Allen returns to form then expect good things from Davis, Smith and him. Bell at the SS spot will be solid as always. FS now has a bit of concern but we only have one way to go from last year and that is up. As long as we are not desimated by injury then the Defense will grow during the year and be pretty darn good but they will take their lumps along the way.

I think the first few games will be brutal for the defense, but I think by the end of the year the D will be playing good ball. In the long run, the infusion of youth will make the D better. There will be a few bumps in the road getting there.

Is that to say you think our D will be is bad as last season?

For starters, our D will be much better coached than our offense. That counts for a lot in today's NFL. I will guarantee you that our pass rush, coverage schemes, and blitz schemes will be much better than last season. In addition, we've added more experience that we lost. J. Taylor is the only true veteran with football savvy that we lost this off season. We added K. Dansby and M. Douglas. So, while we added a good amount of talent and speed, we didn't lose anything in the way of football IQ on D. Marry that with the acquisition of Nolan, and you'd have to be an absolute fool to think our D will be as bad as last season.

I'm not saying we'll be top 10, but we'll be in the 8-12 range.

Is that to say you think our D will be is bad as last season?

For starters, our D will be much better coached than our offense. That counts for a lot in today's NFL. I will guarantee you that our pass rush, coverage schemes, and blitz schemes will be much better than last season. In addition, we've added more experience that we lost. J. Taylor is the only true veteran with football savvy that we lost this off season. We added K. Dansby and M. Douglas. So, while we added a good amount of talent and speed, we didn't lose anything in the way of football IQ on D. Marry that with the acquisition of Nolan, and you'd have to be an absolute fool to think our D will be as bad as last season.

I'm not saying we'll be top 10, but we'll be in the 8-12 range.
Is our pass rush better than last years ? so you think cam wake who had 5 sacks last year and a rookie in Koa Misi who had best year of 5 sacks in college is an improved pass rush over JT and Porter? Gibril wilson was terrible but to think chris clemmons is an improvement is a "guess" because neither one of us know this to be true. I think we did improve our middle linebackers with Dansby but that one addition does not make this defense improved from last years. Mike Nolan his defense started off good in Denver, but what happened towards the last hlaf of the year? So to say someone is an absolute fool to think the D still has lots of holes is a bit absurd.

Is our pass rush better than last years ? so you think cam wake who had 5 sacks last year and a rookie in Koa Misi who had best year of 5 sacks in college is an improved pass rush over JT and Porter? Gibril wilson was terrible but to think chris clemmons is an improvement is a "guess" because neither one of us know this to be true. I think we did improve our middle linebackers with Dansby but that one addition does not make this defense improved from last years. Mike Nolan his defense started off good in Denver, but what happened towards the last hlaf of the year? So to say someone is an absolute fool to think the D still has lots of holes is a bit absurd.

It is without a doubt better than last years. Cameron Wake was an infinitely better pass rusher than Porter and Taylor. Man was that a bad combo of OLB's. Counting half sacks as whole sacks, Wake had 7 sacks, JT 8 sacks, Porter 9 sacks. Wake had 20 QB pressures, JT had 20, Porter had 11. Wake had 6 QB hits, JT had 4, Porter had 5. Very similar eh? Here's the catch, JT played 828 snaps, Porter 755 snaps. Wake? 167 snaps.... Wake was one of the best pass rushers in the NFL last year in terms of efficiency, and that was obvious to anybody who seen Cam Wake play last year. Another key factor, Mike Nolan. His blitzing schemes are much better than Pasqualoni's. Karlos Dansby is a very good blitzer, and Mike Nolan has no problem blitzing ILB's. Randy Starks adds pass rushing from the NT. I have no doubt in my mind that Jared Odrick will fill in nicely in passing situations, especially in the 4-3 looks. We got a lot of sacks last year, but we were by no means a good pass rushing team. Quarterbacks had days to throw the ball, even when they were sacked, they held the ball for a long time.

To answer the rest of the post. Gibril Wilson was terrible. To say Clemons is an improvement is a guess. But to say Tyrone Culver is an improvement is obvious watching the game tape. He's a solid safety who's always in the right spot, and limits his mistakes. Think Renaldo Hill. Nothing special, but gets the job done. What one of our biggest issues on defense last year? I'll tell you. LB's getting destroyed by Tight Ends. Dansby is great in coverage, as is A.J. Edds. Misi can cover. No more Crowder on 3rd downs. He can now focus on doing what he does best, playing the run. Tim Dobbins adds solid depth, and it wouldn't shock me if eventually he becomes a starter.

I won't say someone is a fool to think the defense has question marks. But I will say someone is an absolute fool to think the defense won't be better than last year. The defense does have question marks. But that doesn't mean those question marks won't become positives. As far as starters go, OLB will not be a question mark come season time, I can guarantee you that it will be a positive for us. I do worry about the depth there though. I also have no doubt in my mind this question mark of Starks at NT, will be quickly forgotten come game time. I've seen enough of Starks on tape to have no worries at all about him playing the position. Not expecting anything spectacular from FS, but am expecting solid play. I have no worries about ILB. I am worried a little about CB, but with Pasqualoni and his awful quarters scheme gone, as well as Davis and Smith with a year under their belt, Will Allen back, and Gibril Wilson gone, I'm not too concerned.

The defense will probably start out as the weak link because of all the youth being counted on but once the year goes on I think that will change. I think Nolan will be able to hide our weaknesses until everyone is clicking, knows the playbook like clockwork and gotten over of all the jitters from being a young player in the league. Then you will see the difference between Denvers D and ours. Denver is much older with over half their defense playing for 7+ years already. Our team is young, hungry, and everyone is trying to prove themselves and will not lose steam from age going through the season. Look for harder hitting then our Defense usually brings.

Yes we lost a few good players on Defense Taylor and Ferguson, ok two. (Porter and Merling if your trying to be funny) None of these players were tops in the league or put up any kind of decent numbers that can't be matched or improved on. Our recent veteran additions of Grant and Douglas will provide some good needed depth from proven players. The addition of Dansby is a huge upgrade. We got rid of Wilson which I don't think anyone could of played any worse. Pretty much if someone is standing there at the FS position its an uprade. Not many positions I see taking a step backwards.

On top of that our offense alone will help our defense this year more then last year. The more points we score and time our defense stays off the field the easier it is for the defense. Always easier to play with a lead then playing catch up. So definitely there will be improvement if no significant injuries occur with our defense but I do believe it will start as our weak link and finish as a very strong unit.

Back
Top Bottom