Anyone here think Foles is better than Tannehill? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone here think Foles is better than Tannehill?

Prior to yesterday I knew his numbers. Prior to taking over for Wentz. Perhaps casual fans like you had never heard of him or saw what he could do before the playoffs.

He's steadier. He wins more. He's better.

Tannehill is 37-40 as an NFL starter. Why do you think the future will be any different? It won't.
Did you really say steadier? haha! Good one! Rating through the years: 79-119-81-69-105-79... The only thing steady is that he completely failed when not playing behind the best OL in the NFL...

He has more super bowl wins than Tannehill has playoff appearances so I'm gonna give him the nod.

It's like "do you think deshaun Watson is better than Tannehill? Wentz? Goff? Now we're asking this about Cousins and Foles

In another couple years we will be asking if some 3rd string backup qb is better than Tannehill lol
Watson.. on the basis of a losing record and 4 games... no
Wentz.. definitely, he's a stud
Goff: 1 worse rookie year than Tannehill, 1 good year with a studly all everything RB = TBD
Cousins: worse losing record including losing last 5 out of 8... junk time stats on prevent defenses... Nope
Foles: Maybe, when he was good he was good, when he was bad, he was a lot worse than THill = TBD

Now if you wanted to pose those same comparisons about Winston or Mariota, maybe the answers would be more favorable.

Unless Philly is willing to pay him something approaching starting money, it would be an idiotic business decision for Foles to stay. He just won the Super Bowl MVP -- he will want to start and know it's not happening with the eagles.

But keeping him and paying him anything near starting money would be an idiotic business decision for the Eagles. The salary cap and CBA basically is setup so you can afford exactly *1* quality veteran QB and either a scrub veteran backup or a potential starting level player on a rookie contact. It turns out the Eagles, through a fluke, have it reversed. So, if they offer Foles good money to stick around, then Wentz has leverage to push for veteran money before his cheap rookie contract is over -- after all, he's the "leader of the team and the starter". If Foles sticks around next year as the backup, he risks his window closing -- after all, up until 4 or so weeks ago, he was a known quantity, and people weren't banging down the door for him to lead or start.
I mean, I see where you are coming from, but he’s got 1y left on his deal so he kind of has no choice but to stay, unless Philly trades him. He’s got $4M salary & $3M roster bonus upcoming for ‘18.

Did you really say steadier? haha! Good one! Rating through the years: 79-119-81-69-105-79... The only thing steady is that he completely failed when not playing behind the best OL in the NFL...
So now it's QB rating? Both QB career ratings are in the 86-87 range.

The difference is here:
Foles
39 career regular season starts
4 career playoff starts
25-18 W-L
4.4 TD pct
2.1 INT pct
5.5 sack pct
7 4th quarter comebacks
9 Game winning drives

Tannehill
77 career regular season starts
0 career playoff starts
37-40 W-L
4.0 TD pct
2.5 INT pct
7.5 sack pct
12 4th quarter comebacks
10 game winning drives

Oh and Foles is a year younger. And not coming off ACL surgery. Ask any GM worth their weight and do they take Tannehill with these numbers and coming off injury. Or Foles coming off super bowl MVP.

Use the eye test. It's not even close.

Tannehill is a glorified Chad Henne and no one wants to face it. He is what he is. He isn't changing.

Draft a QB. In the first round.

Better question: is the Jay Ajayi they had better than the Jay Ajayi we had? Sure looked like it....so maybe, just maybe, offensive line play is a decent factor.

Anyway, the correct answer to the question is that it’s irrelevant because if he gets traded it will be to a team that is desparate for a starting QB....and will overpay. That’s not us

The difference is here:
Foles
4 career playoff starts
25-18 W-L
4.4 TD pct
2.1 INT pct
5.5 sack pct
7 4th quarter comebacks
9 Game winning drives

Tannehill
0 career playoff starts
37-40 W-L
4.0 TD pct
2.5 INT pct
7.5 sack pct
12 4th quarter comebacks
10 game winning drives

Oh and Foles is a year younger. And not coming off ACL surgery. Ask any GM worth their weight and do they take Tannehill with these numbers and coming off injury. Or Foles coming off super bowl MVP.

Tannehill is a glorified Chad Henne and no one wants to face it. He is what he is. He isn't changing.

And take out one monster system season from Foles five seasons ago and he’s been mediocre at best. His QBR hasn’t touched 40 in the regular season in 4 years. You have to remember that Foles had 27 TD to 2 INT in a season five years ago....his other years he has combined for a 33 TD to 27 INT ratio.

The Henne comparison is just silly. Henne three more picks than touchdowns. He was 18-35 in his career and had 4 fourth quarter comebacks.

The difference is here:
Foles
4 career playoff starts
25-18 W-L
4.4 TD pct
2.1 INT pct
5.5 sack pct
7 4th quarter comebacks
9 Game winning drives

Tannehill
0 career playoff starts
37-40 W-L
4.0 TD pct
2.5 INT pct
7.5 sack pct
12 4th quarter comebacks
10 game winning drives

BTW....if Nick Foles is so good, why was he traded for Sam Bradford?

The difference is here:
Foles
4 career playoff starts
25-18 W-L
4.4 TD pct
2.1 INT pct
5.5 sack pct
7 4th quarter comebacks
9 Game winning drives

Tannehill
0 career playoff starts
37-40 W-L
4.0 TD pct
2.5 INT pct
7.5 sack pct
12 4th quarter comebacks
10 game winning drives

I'm not going to argue with most of what you said if you believe Foles is better than Tannehill but Tannehill a glorified Chad Henne? Come on man don't do that. Chad Henne has a career QB rating of 75.5 and has 58tds to 63ints. Chad Henne was never top 15 in any passing category besides INT's. Chad Henne has only thrown for more TD's than Int's 1 time in his career and that was 2014 when he had 3tds to 1int. I'm not the biggest Tannehill fan but you comparing him to Henne is just madness.

As of today those two players aren't even on the same stratosphere. That may not be popular around here but it's the world wide NFL football fan reality. I was thinking about it during the late stages of the game. Foles is now eligible to walk out there among fellow Super Bowl MVPs every time the game is renewed. That is an awesome accomplishment.

Foltz has done it while Tannehill is like those outdoor projection devices that were supposedly going to be popular during the Christmas season. Home Depot and other stores were loaded with those things. Meanwhile when I went to purchase Christmas leftovers on severe discount a few days after Christmas, all the good stuff was long gone but every store still had dozens and dozens of those projection devices.

They basically couldn't give them away. That gave me more confidence in the American public for a change. Projection shouldn't be popular.

I don't understand Nick Foles' career. It shouldn't be possible to have a freakish season surrounded by next to nothing. Since I believe everything tends to drift back to the beginning Nick Foles was always eligible to return to that type of form, but when and for how long was always the variable.

He happened to find the ideal time frame, and for just long enough.

Peterson's play calling was spectacular. That certainly played a huge role. During the game I was also thinking about Gase's play calling and how can it possibly be applauded or accepted when you've got such a blatantly superior example smack in front of you.

Foles at his best also owns far more nuances than Tannehill does, like subtle shifts in the pocket, throwing from varied platforms, and altering the pace to fit the requirement of the play. He took just the proper amount off the ball on the winning touchdown pass to Ertz. With Tannehill, that throw is a dart.

Power backs enable that type of thing. Such a necessity in the playoffs. Peterson wisely found two and used both to maximum advantage. The Patriots, on the other hand, were stuck with a small cutesy backfield and all the frailty that goes along with that. It was impossible to watch the game without thinking how different it might have played out if Blount and/or Ajayi had been with New England.

I am having such trouble on this site. This is the first time in two days I've been able to view a thread, let alone post.

What's their problem? Foles will either stay as their back up until his contract runs out next season or be traded. Either way he's going to make a crapload of money

Don’t see the Super Bowl MVP happy being a backup...Philly will reap a nice draft pick from a QB hungry team.

The difference is here:
Foles
4 career playoff starts
25-18 W-L
4.4 TD pct
2.1 INT pct
5.5 sack pct
7 4th quarter comebacks
9 Game winning drives

Tannehill
0 career playoff starts
37-40 W-L
4.0 TD pct
2.5 INT pct
7.5 sack pct
12 4th quarter comebacks
10 game winning drives

Nick Foles had that AMAZING season 5 years ago, I'll give you that, no arguments here... Since then, he's got 28 TDs, 22 INTs, 58% comp%, 6.4 y/a... Now he did have a great playoffs run, but are those 3 games more relevant than the last 29 before that... Also keep in mind that there's a good chance he wont play behind a better OL on his next stop..

Back
Top Bottom