Anyone see the Discovery Channel show about the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone see the Discovery Channel show about the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium?

Maggot Brain

Trade Bait
Reaction score
The name of the show is Extreme Engineering and it's about various types of ground breaking or state of the art construction projects. What makes the Cards' new digs cutting edge is that in addition to a retractable roof it's also going to feature a retractable field that can be rolled in or out of the stadium on a series of train track like rails. Apparently the only other place in the world to have such a setup is Sapporo Stadium somewhere in Japan. Unfortunately I missed the first twenty minutes of the program where I'm assuming they talked about why a retractable field would be advantageous. If anyone else saw the show and could tell what I missed before I catch the rerun, it would be most appreciated.

The field in Japan was built 4 years ago for the World Cup of soccer. The field was retractable because they played in a dome and grass can't grow inside. Not sure why Arizona would do that if they have a retractable roof

Yea I saw some of it. That stadium is sweeeeet!

The new stadium is sweet....I used to live in Tempe, home of Sun Devil Stadium and the Cardinals, and this new stadium is much nicer. I think they have the grass set up like this so they can water it regularly and allow the stadium to be used for other events like concerts, dirtbike/motorcross, etc., without having to ruin the grass turf. The roof slides open on wheels and they had a piece of metal fall off and come crashing down during construction...nobody got hurt though. Glendale, AZ is way on the west side of Phoenix...not much else out there....at least when I used to live there.

I think the stadium is tight, I would love to watch a game there some day. just not in the middle of summer!

Back
Top Bottom