Anyone think we wont draft QB high? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone think we wont draft QB high?

Tua did it consistently, not just good for one year with pretty much bad to meh tape outside of that. There is zero bad tape on Tua. Tua played behind a pretty porous line last year, on a dodgy ankle and still went toe to toe with Burrow in that game, if he were fully fit that game could well have gone the other way, even still it was close. Tua throws with anticipation better than anyone in the college game over the last decade or more, his accuracy is incredible and again he did that for 2 and a bit seasons starting not just one year. Tua has the stronger arm. Tua excelled in two vastly different offenses, a lot of the success of Burrow last year has been attributed to Brady coming in there, true or not there is no evidence he can adapt to another system like Tua has already shown. Tua had to study last year while Burrow got to spend most of his time in his senior year in college studying tape, that was a big advantage and it's clearly something he excels at.

Burrow is a fine prospect, don't get me wrong, he can do things that Tua can't, like being a threat in the running game. His accuracy, vision and sheer ability to play the position that he demonstrated last year was exceptional. But for me Tua is still the guy, he's the one I would bet on most to be an elite level QB in the NFL. This is my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own, and none are wrong. The top and bottom of it is that in order to select Burrow, you are going to have to give up everything, if the Bengals will even listen, to take Tua, we can probably stay right where we are. It's a simple choice imo in the end.

I like Tua as a passer... however he has not displayed durability...shows a propensity to hold the ball to long leading to taking more punishment and injuries.

This is the NFL... they hit harder and are faster and the season is much longer.

Tua lost not only his matchup with Burrow (In Tuscaloosa)... he also lost his matchup with Trevor Lawrence. The excuses from Tua apologists are he was injured?

Exactly....he is injured too much!

Fact is... Burrow transferred from Ohio State and in his first season and was playing well by mid-season...continued that ascension into last year where he put up crazy numbers and beat everybody! 6-7 top ten teams.

Burrow is QB1 for me!

I like Tua as a passer... however he has not displayed durability...shows a propensity to hold the ball to long leading to taking more punishment and injuries.

This is the NFL... they hit harder and are faster and the season is much longer.

Tua lost not only his matchup with Burrow (In Tuscaloosa)... he also lost his matchup with Trevor Lawrence. The excuses from Tua apologists are he was injured?

Fact is... Burrow transferred from Ohio State and in his first season and was playing well by mid-season...continued that ascension into last year where he put up crazy numbers and beat everybody! 6-7 top ten teams.

Burrow is QB1 for me!

Nice post. All good points, BlueFin. I would not be unhappy if they somehow got Burrow, but like you said earlier, they won't reach for him. Wisely, IMO. I want them to take Tua, but only if they don't reach for him AND they clearly have conviction about him. I'd be OK with any other QB they don't reach for. By now, they should know a lot more about who their guy should be than I do.

P.S. I really like that no one has a clue what they REALLY want to do lol

They're drafting a QB in the first round or they will be run out of town

Burrow is QB1 for me!

So we just gonna forget the goose egg Burrow put up against Bama in Baton Rouge? Or the 4 straight zero touchdown games in '18?

Burrow is far from perfect and his one year of elite production doesn't erase a year of terrible production.

What about getting the QB at 5, then trading 18 and 26 to move to like 10, and get Thomas or Becton?

Burrow is QB1 for me!

The durability thing is definitely a concern anyone who doesn't say they worry about that are either lying or bat **** crazy. You are also completely right about him holding the ball too long on occasion, that's how he got the hip injury. He has however shown through his college career that he is a quick study, he needs to work on just taking that check down or throwing it away if it's not there, he's already acknowledged that in various interviews post the injury which is the important first step, pretty confident his NFL coach will iron that out.

I will challenge you on Burrow beating Tua in that game, I like most folks who enjoy the Saturday football, watched that whole game. Burrow didn't beat Tua that day, Burrow beat Alabama, Tua gave Bama a chance, but their D was pretty damn horrible that day, Burrow played well but the D couldn't come up with anything. Tua threw one Int early but outside of that was outstanding and he did this on a bum ankle and against a much better D than Burrow faced that day, much better. The Nat Champ game against Lawrence could be classed as perhaps his worst game in his career, but Lawrence threw for just 50 more yards and 1 more TD, pining that loss solely on Tua is harsh, yeah he could have played better and was perhaps guilty of over pushing things against a stacked Clemson D, if this is his low point, that's pretty good.

Burrow wan't playing well in 2018, he was playing meh at best, there is a reason why he was projected as a mid round selection coming into the season. He couldn't beat out Dwayne Haskins to first the back up job and then the starting job at Ohio state, so he transferred. That Dwayne Haskins, a guy I actually like, but is the source of a lot of ridicule on here and other places. If you accuse folks of making excuses for Tua then only fair to say folks make excuses for Burrow losing that battle because he broke a hand in spring training. Cream always rises to the top, like Tua did in supplanting an extremely successful, popular and scheme fitting player in Hurts.

Both though are great prospects and light years ahead of any other prospect. Neither though are can't miss, no prospect really is, both have things to work on in the pros, I think both will be great and I would love either of them in a fins uniform, you like Burrow better, I prefer Tua,, that's fine. The fact remains though that Tua is way more gettable than Burrow, but if we do end up giving up a bunch to get Burrow, I'll be all in on it.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine Miami not going quarterback with that #5 pick.

My gut says Herbert at #5. Tua is better, but durability counts. Tua has to score low in that regard. I think Miami will view Herbert as someone they can develop.

I know some have mentioned Love at #18. I'm not sure he makes it out of the top 10.

If the Dolphins don't go quarterback at #5, they will likely have to pick among Eason, Hurts, Fromm or Gordon.

Too many question marks with Love, Herbert, and injury issues with Tua. Does anyone think we will not draft a QB high this year, and wait until next year to go for a top QB?

With Fitz and Rosen on roster, maybe they give Rosen another year to prove it. Then, get a guy later on in 5th round to develop just in case.

We could potentially get our LT and RT in the first round this year to build our OL instead.

Now with the addition of Byron Jones, maybe we trade Howard for draft pick next year to get our QB.

Anyone think similar?

You've skipped some options. First, how do you define "high?" Top 10? R1? IMO, depends on the staff's opinion of Rosen. I'm inclined Miami will draft a QB top 10, but Flo doesn't confide in me.
There's always the possibility of getting a QB with the R1 P2, (a 'low' pick) or, maybe, R2.
Or, sign a vet FA (hope not).

I hated Brady Quinn and did not want him.

Ginn was a shocker but better than Quinn.

I wanted Patrick Willis and we passed on Revis as well.

not into trading up for a cripple or 1 year (weak armed) wonder...

Stay at 5 and we'll thrive!

I'm still on board for D Brown @5, next best is Herbert or

if we have to -- the short kid from bama.

Back
Top Bottom