AP-Marist to Miami: For Fede, NFL Road wasn't easy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP-Marist to Miami: For Fede, NFL Road wasn't easy

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Terrence Fede was watching the NFL Draft this past spring and noticed that the Miami Dolphins were selecting plenty of players from small schools.

Not long afterward, his phone rang.

Marist to Miami, that's not a likely path. Going from a seventh-round pick to the 53-man roster, that's also improbable. Going from the Pioneer League to the NFL, let's just say it's not exactly a commonplace occurrence.

For now anyway, Fede has defied the odds. He's a member of the Dolphins, the first player from the little school in Poughkeepsie, New York to make an NFL regular-season roster.

"It's a moment in history for my college," said Fede, a 6-foot-4, 282-pound defensive end. "Whatever I do, I'm representing Marist. Marist is always going to be on my back. It's something I dreamed of, it happened and now I want to get back on the field."

"We follow him every day," Marist coach Jim Parady said. "We read every article. We've all become Dolphins fans up here, because of the way he's progressed down there."

Fede's playing days at Marist are obviously done, but his impact remains. He's already a recruiting tool, the ultimate example for Parady to point to and say to prospects that they can, in fact, get to the pros from a little school like Marist.

"Kids, they look at us differently now, because they know one of ours is in the NFL," Parady said.

Fede knows everyone at Marist is watching. He's embracing the challenge of actually sticking around now. Nothing is guaranteed, and he understands that for as hard as he fought to make the team, he's going to have to fight at least that hard to stay put.

"I visited here and I really wanted to come here," Fede said. "Dennis Hickey, he didn't look at where a player comes from, but what that player can bring to the table. That's pretty cool."

http://pro32.ap.org/article/marist-miami-fede-nfl-road-wasnt-easy

Marist is 45 mins away from my home. Rooting hard for this kid. I've really liked what I have seen so far

He must be questionable, from yesterday's Sports Buzz:
Coyle said Derrick Shelby, Chris McCain and Terrence Fede (if his knee is healthy) will all play.

Back
Top Bottom