Apparently it is Smith or a trade | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Apparently it is Smith or a trade

If Saban doesn't know that neither Smith nor Rodgers aren't anywhere ready to be NFL QB's....we are in trouble. Let Tampa waste their pick's....but not the Dolphins.

sports24/7 said:
He didn't name him the starter. In fact in ever paper in South Florida today there are articles talking about the open competition at QB. He brought in Frerotte as someone who was familiar with the system that could start for a year or two if he had to. One thing Saban did say was that he wanted to bring in a vet (Frerotte) and a prospect to groom (whether that is Smith or someone later in the draft remains to be seen). So it would not be that crazy to draft Smith. But its not like I'm making this up. I posted the article that says Smith's agent says Miami is leaning towards Smith, and there is another article in the herald that mentions the same thing.

I realize that there's going to be an open competition to determine the starter, but prior to our signing of Gus, Saban did say that A.J. would be the starting QB for the Miami Dolphins this season. I was unaware though that he wanted a young QB prospect to groom in addition to his vet and his decent starter, that's what living so far away from the local market does to you. I never intended to sound like I was accusing you of making stuff up either, I appologize if that's how I came across. I was merely trying to state my opinion on how I feel this is an elaborate smokescreen.

jbond said:
so you think he'll gamble on a 30% bet on Smith or another QB with a #2 selection in his first year? I doubt it. If this interest is there it's soley to interest the Bucs or a team wanting a QB to trade up.

My thoughts exactly. Said "source" that stated "One source said Thursday that coach Nick Saban has decided Smith...." could either be wrong, or a plant to get other teams interested in trading up. Hell, Saban's own words in the "QB or not QB" section dispute the very fact that Smith is our REAL #2 pick. Personally, if Saban picks Smith he will start off on the wrong foot in my book. I will already have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to him because his first big test (in my eyes) he will have failed. Yes, Smith is a great QB, and yes, down the line Smith would be a great addition to our franchise, but I've said it a million times before, RUNNING BACK is our absolute BIGGEST IMMEDIATE need and I think we will be kicking ourselves in the *** if we don't take one of the three, especially when we can most definately get a franchise-worthy QB in round 2 or 3. In fact, I have been watching more footage and reading more reports and article on Kyle Orton and I must say that I REALLY really like him for us in round three, and would be overjoyed if we land him as our new QB.

4U2NV said:
I never intended to sound like I was accusing you of making stuff up either, I appologize if that's how I came across. I was merely trying to state my opinion on how I feel this is an elaborate smokescreen.
No problem:). And it could be a smokescreen, but with Saban you never know.

To be honest, this is exactly how I assumed the draft would pan out. Our draft really hinges on what San Fran does. The best pick by them for us is Rodgers, and it appears that they are heading in that direction.

With Smith at #2, he is really going to tempt Saban, but similarly he is going to tempt Savage and Crennel in Cleveland... meaning that Tampa realistically have to get up about the Browns to get Smith.

I have always been of the belief that if Smith is available to Saban, then it would tempt the hell out of him, this may well be a smokescreen because a deal with Tampa could very well go down, but it is a very believable smokescreen.

I'd love to hear what Boomer has heard regarding this.

its saban's team. he has 5 year deal. he is looking for future. so if he wants this QB, he might already has other second tier running backs that he willing to pick up or he knows something about ricky comeback. i wouldn't mind a arrington or fason.

finsnchips said:
I'd love to hear what Boomer has heard regarding this.
Me too. Anyone know what time it is in England?

Is anybody going to be in living hell for the next 8 days waiting for all this speculation to finally be over? I've been pulling my hair out for two months now wondering what the heck is going to happen come draft day. While I'll admit that it's been agony to be so clueless and to be so edgy about it, it's kinda exciting for a change to have the 'Phins on everybody's lips leading up to the draft. This is the most exposure we've got in years and I'm happy that we actually have a high enough pick to be a major player on draft day.

*personal note - being from Canada we only get 4 hours of TV coverage on draft day so this is going to be the first time in 5 years I will actually see our first selection being made instead of hearing it over the radio so that's adding even more excitement for me personally.

death7star said:
its saban's team. he has 5 year deal. he is looking for future. so if he wants this QB, he might already has other second tier running backs that he willing to pick up or he knows something about ricky comeback. i wouldn't mind a arrington or fason.

If we can get a 2nd round pick and select J.J. Arrington then I will personally kiss Nick Saban's feet. I wouldn't be so against drafting Smith if we got a guy like Arrington to come here as well.

Tommatt said:
I hope not. Makes no sense to me. But, hey, whoever saban drafts, I'll trust. For 3 years, I'll trust it. I give saban 3 years, not to turn the team into a super bowl team, but to see if he screwed up through the draft or not. Hes seen this kids play up close and personol, and probably tried to recruit many of them.

I just can't see why take him when theres franchise qb's to be had in the 2nd and 3rd round, and BPA at our pick. I hope we trade down so we get a edwards or williams.

*edit* and I know, we all have our opinions, but their the ones that get paid for it. Like I said, as long as I don't see a LB get drafted at #2, I'll trust it for a couple of years to see how it turns out. I could be wrong. Smith could be our next marino. Except in my dream world, smith takes us to the SB if hes the next marino, wins it, with marino getting signed late season as a back up kicker, and finally gets his frikken RING!

That's my dream too, but Marino plays backup QB and plays the fourth quarter. He throws a TD to get yet another 4th quarter comeback at age 52!!!!

The only problem i have bringin in Smith is that i would hate to see our #2 pick a third stringer which he would almost deffinatley be.

With one of the RB's/WRs, we would have an immeadiate starter. With that being said i would be OK wit any of the 4 at #2 in the order of prefrence Brown,Benson,Esdwards,Smith

4U2NV said:
Is anybody going to be in living hell for the next 8 days waiting for all this speculation to finally be over? I've been pulling my hair out for two months now wondering what the heck is going to happen come draft day. While I'll admit that it's been agony to be so clueless and to be so edgy about it, it's kinda exciting for a change to have the 'Phins on everybody's lips leading up to the draft. This is the most exposure we've got in years and I'm happy that we actually have a high enough pick to be a major player on draft day.

*personal note - being from Canada we only get 4 hours of TV coverage on draft day so this is going to be the first time in 5 years I will actually see our first selection being made instead of hearing it over the radio so that's adding even more excitement for me personally.

I have been in agony since the Combine, because that kinda makes "draft season" seem "official" and i find myself going to bed early just to wake up and getthe next day over with to get the draft here quicker, haha. This is a HUGE draft, the biggest one I can remember. Not only do we have the #2 overall pick, which as far as I can remember is the highest in my time, but it's also Saban's first draft, and it is our first look at what kind of coach he is and his way of thinking

Back
Top Bottom