Apparently it is Smith or a trade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Apparently it is Smith or a trade

sports24/7

Bleeder of Aqua and Orange
Reaction score
According to a Miami Herald article if Miami doesnt trade thier pick and the 49ers select Rogers as expected, the pick is Smith. For whatever reason I can't post the link but it is at the Herald's website.

I hope not. Makes no sense to me. But, hey, whoever saban drafts, I'll trust. For 3 years, I'll trust it. I give saban 3 years, not to turn the team into a super bowl team, but to see if he screwed up through the draft or not. Hes seen this kids play up close and personol, and probably tried to recruit many of them.

I just can't see why take him when theres franchise qb's to be had in the 2nd and 3rd round, and BPA at our pick. I hope we trade down so we get a edwards or williams.

*edit* and I know, we all have our opinions, but their the ones that get paid for it. Like I said, as long as I don't see a LB get drafted at #2, I'll trust it for a couple of years to see how it turns out. I could be wrong. Smith could be our next marino. Except in my dream world, smith takes us to the SB if hes the next marino, wins it, with marino getting signed late season as a back up kicker, and finally gets his frikken RING!

If Saban takes Smith I will be thrilled. I think we can get by with Feeley and ROnnie Brown, but I like the idea of a new coach bringing in his guy at QB. I think that is the most most impportant, not to mention volatile, relationship on a football team. Keep in mind this might just be a ploy to get Gruden to pony up an offer.

so you think he'll gamble on a 30% bet on Smith or another QB with a #2 selection in his first year? I doubt it. If this interest is there it's soley to interest the Bucs or a team wanting a QB to trade up.

jbond said:
so you think he'll gamble on a 30% bet on Smith or another QB with a #2 selection in his first year? I doubt it. If this interest is there it's soley to interest the Bucs or a team wanting a QB to trade up.

I agree. This is a smokescreen and nothing more. I'd be shocked if we actually picked Smith and if we did, he wouldn't be a Dolphin for long as the 'Phins and Bucs would start talking trade much like the Giants and Chargers did last year when San Diego took Eli Manning.

It could be a smokescreen, but its not out of the realm of possibility that Saban doesnt feel Feeley is the anwer and likes Smith alot. If thats the case then taking him is a no brainer. I trust Nick to do the right thing for the team.

I wouldn't be upset with either Braylon, Smith or Brown at #2 (in my order of preference).

sports24/7 said:
It could be a smokescreen, but its not out of the realm of possibility that Saban doesnt feel Feeley is the anwer and likes Smith alot. If thats the case then taking him is a no brainer. I trust Nick to do the right thing for the team.

If Saban didn't trust Feeley then why did he name him the starter a couple months back? And if he was thinking of drafting a QB at 2 then why did we spend money to bring in Gus? It doesn't make much sense to me.

jbond said:
If we get adequate compensation for the pick I would be happy. Now, considering we would then have the 5th pick. Will Brown slide to #5? Maybe if the Bears take Benson or M. Williams. What do you guys think? Maybe Saban likes Mile Williams at #5, or Cadillac

At least 1 of the top 3 RBs will be available at #5 as well as either Braylon or Williams.....also Barron, DJ and others. I'd be happy to trade down to #5 , still get a solid player and pick up a couple more picks in the draft relatively high in each round.

4U2NV said:
If Saban didn't trust Feeley then why did he name him the starter a couple months back? And if he was thinking of drafting a QB at 2 then why did we spend money to bring in Gus? It doesn't make much sense to me.
He didn't name him the starter. In fact in ever paper in South Florida today there are articles talking about the open competition at QB. He brought in Frerotte as someone who was familiar with the system that could start for a year or two if he had to. One thing Saban did say was that he wanted to bring in a vet (Frerotte) and a prospect to groom (whether that is Smith or someone later in the draft remains to be seen). So it would not be that crazy to draft Smith. But its not like I'm making this up. I posted the article that says Smith's agent says Miami is leaning towards Smith, and there is another article in the herald that mentions the same thing.

Saban said he 1) wants a decent QB, 2) a veteran QB as backup and 3) someone to groom......a QB at #2 fits nicely into his plans if that's the route he decides to take.

It's really really tough to form an opinion on this draft because we don't know how good Saban will be in the draft department. If it's Wanny, I want the #2 pick because that's less picks he can screw up, and for some reason, I still have that feeling. Maybe it's leftover stache voodoo, but I just want to keep the pick, and preferably pick Alex Smith. That's where I'm at the last couple of days anyway. If we could get two first rounders from the Vikes, Cowboys, or Chargers, however...

beejay05 said:
If we get adequate compensation for the pick I would be happy. Now, considering we would then have the 5th pick. Will Brown slide to #5? Maybe if the Bears take Benson or M. Williams. What do you guys think? Maybe Saban likes Mile Williams at #5, or Cadillac

If we make the trade I think the guy we'll get is Benson. Brown would most likely go to Chicago, he's the type of back that Bears fans would just love to have on their team and I think Chicago management feels the same way. I would be happy with Benson if we were able to move down and still get him.

Back
Top Bottom