April Draft Thoughts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

April Draft Thoughts

For what it's worth, Miami did a lot of work on Horn. That could be simply due diligence, but I could see him at #18 if he is still on the board.

I know a lot of fans are projecting pick #50 for Williams. I doubt he gets there.

Jets and Dolphins both need centers so that concerns me a bit, as they have a lot of picks and are ahead of Miami in the draft order.
I don't think Horn makes it to #18. But if Miami somehow trades down from #6 to #8 - #10, I think Horn becomes a real possibility. I believe Miami signed Fuller to a one year deal knowing, they could tag him next year, if he plays well?

The article in the Herald last week, laid out how bad Miami's pass coverage was, last year. It apparently has Flores seriously looking to improve that area. I'd not be surprised one bit, if Miami selects Horn or Surtain.

One other note, with both Jones and Howard having opts outs in the next couple of years, it could be Miami preparing for those exits, by taking their replacement now. Then there is the real possibility, Miami looks to trade Howard and/or Jones before they reach their opt out years. Horn's ability within the first ten yards of the LOS is insane. Something they struggle with.

I don't think Horn makes it to #18. But if Miami somehow trades down from #6 to #8 - #10, I think Horn becomes a real possibility. I believe Miami signed Fuller to a one year deal knowing, they could tag him next year, if he plays well?

The article in the Herald last week, laid out how bad Miami's pass coverage was, last year. It apparently has Flores seriously looking to improve that area. I'd not be surprised one bit, if Miami selects Horn or Surtain.

One other note, with both Jones and Howard having opts outs in the next couple of years, it could be Miami preparing for those exits, by taking their replacement now. Then there is the real possibility, Miami looks to trade Howard and/or Jones before they reach their opt out years. Horn's ability within the first ten yards of the LOS is insane. Something they struggle with.
I'll pass on trading down and getting horn at 8 or 10..if he's there past 15 trading up from 18 makes more sense if we really want him!

Interesting. I haven't looked into corners much, since Miami has Howard, Jones and Iggy.

Seems to me, Grier stays at 12 if he's targeting a corner.

Enough of this value talk. We NEED a RB and if it means taking at 18 or 36 it has to be done. There isn't any glory in winning the "NFL Draft Pick Value Award"
Agreed, if we are sitting at 50 and the 3rd RB goes right before us, we probably have to put ourselves in position to not miss on the next guy in the same fashion.

That's why I'm a big fan of turning 18 into a late 1 and late 2 if possible. Then use 26-32 and 36 picks Edge/RB. Still have 50 and 58-64 for other spots.

5 Top 65 picks would be nice, considering most of them would probably start or get legitimate snaps in 2021...assuming pick 6 is a pass catcher

Fuller is here for one year. Yes, we need a long term answer in the first round
That's one opinion.

If ever one of Fuller or Williams step and saves injury injury free... we'll be fine.

If both do then, we can resign Fuller and be loaded.

Agreed, if we are sitting at 50 and the 3rd RB goes right before us, we probably have to put ourselves in position to not miss on the next guy in the same fashion.

That's why I'm a big fan of turning 18 into a late 1 and late 2 if possible. Then use 26-32 and 36 picks Edge/RB. Still have 50 and 58-64 for other spots.

5 Top 65 picks would be nice, considering most of them would probably start or get legitimate snaps in 2021...assuming pick 6 is a pass catcher
This is ideal imo

I'm new here, but I am an old guy that's lurked for years. These threads are fun to read. These last 2 drafts have been the most exciting to me in almost 40 years as a fins fan (was too young to care about the NFL draft in 1983).

I just want to ask about the first issue. Is our need truly WR? Is it Fuller and the rest of our WRs are hurt a lot? I thought Preston showed some great skill, and Fuller is a proven beast.

Or do we just want someone from Alabama that Tua knows 'sort of' so we reach for Waddle or Smith at 6 after Atl takes Pitts?

I don't have the time to watch a whole football game lately, even using a DVR to skip through all the bs so I truly don't know and am not trying to be argumentative.

I remember Tua under a lot of pressure, so maybe Sewell wouldn't be the end of the world despite it being a boring pick.

Good post. I believe we still need to add another weapon, an edge rusher, and OF COURSE another lineman. There are so many paths we can go thanks to the plethora of talent in this year's WR class.

My opinion on this will probably put me in the minority, but I don't want to draft Sewell at 6, don't get me wrong, if we do, I'll be happy with it because it's a great move for our oline.

However, at #6, I want that one weapon, who I think is the ultimate chess piece that can lineup anywhere and it's checkmate. If he's there I want Kyle Pitts at #6. With Pitts, our 12 man personnel would be unstoppable. And for those who don't know, 12 man personnel bolsters the running game too. Also, you don't need a franchise WR if running a 12 man personnel. New England had a top offense with their 12 man personnel (Gronk and A. Hernandez)_, and guess who was their leading WR, it was Wes Welker who is far from a franchise WR.

Then with the 18th pick, I would draft right tackle Tevin Jenkins. He is a beast too, and very nasty (Watch his highlights against Joseph Ossai). He will be there at 18.

As of today, my IDEAL first two rounds would be:

1a. Kyle Pitts, and if he's not there, DeVonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle
1b. Tevin Jenkins
2a. Javonte Williams
2b. Carlos "Boogie" Basham or Joe Tryon

DISCLAIMER: This will probably change a dozen times before the draft...LOL!

Last edited:
Not gonna depend on Fuller stating healthy. We need a franchise WR and Fuller will never be that
As I've said... that's one opinion.

My opinion is that our Edge play is a MUCH bigger need if we expect to win football games... and bringing in one more top quality lineman might even be a bigger need as our line was rated 28th in the league.

Yeah, I think we will see Carter in aqua and orange at pick 50. I just have a funny feeling.
No insider info HAHAHA. Hunch.
I think Pitts goes 4 to ATL, Chase 5 to CIN, we go D Smith at 6. 18 is a mystery, it's really a kind of crappy no man's land if you ask me. Maybe/hopefully Ossai or Collins. 36 wouldn't suprise me if it were Molden CB Wash. Then Carter.
I think center comes later, like the Georgia or Kentucky guys. They don't have to start this year.
I have been through these scenarios, like all of you have, so many times. Went round with my son about it last night and that's how I kind of came up with my first 6 picks scenario.

Back
Top Bottom