April Draft Thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

April Draft Thoughts

PHINANALYST

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of threads ... so will combine as many of my thoughts into 1 ....

Needs: #1 WR [don’t have], #1 CB [X while very good is already on creecky knees + and may want more $$$], EDGE (DE/OLB) [not ‘really‘ a NE style thing, more scheme ... but]

Considerations: T [are we good or not], C [same], S [could use upgrade, but not essential], MLB [like the McKinney signing, but is likely short term, and he isn’t a pillar of health either], RB [think we are ‘good enough’ now that we have a short yardage back] ...

Picks: 6, 18, 36, 50, 81 ... so 5x picks in top 100 ...

6: CHASE, PITTS are my 2x primary picks ... not sure either will be there with ATL + CIN picking in front of us ... While SEWELL should be in play for both, neither may go that route ... CB is also in play for ATL ... I prefer CHASE - a true outside threat, which is what we need the most.

For me, if they aren’t there - I would like to trade down as far as DEN - 9 ... and get WADDLE or PARSONS ... WADDLE is versatile, talented and FAST.

18: HORN, OJULARI are my 2x primary picks ... both could be there, particularly OJULARI. BOTH are primary needs [even with IGGY in RD 2 last year ... and OJULARI is perfect for our NE style DEF ... I would also consider trading back a few spaces to ~ 22 and still take OJULARI ...

36: Several ways to go here, but I would NOT take a RB here ... though I do like WILLIAMS ... depending on how things go ... COLLINS, BASHAM, NEWSOME, GRANT and I do like HOLLAND or even a COSMI ...

50: This is the ‘depends’ pick ... meaning ‘depending‘ how the FO feels about C, T, and RB ... since there is a long way to 81 ... so, I DO like HUMPHREY (A LOT) and WILLIAMS [earliest I would go RB] ... you could go MAYFIELD...

This is also why I do NOT want to trade UP from 18 ... and why if it fell right I would trade down from 6 or 18 or even both to get another pick(s) in this area !

81: Again, another it depends on what happens above, but I like ... ST BROWN, RODGERS, GAINWELL, TRYON, MEINERZ, COX ... GAINWELL is an underrated RB in this draft ...

I'm new here, but I am an old guy that's lurked for years. These threads are fun to read. These last 2 drafts have been the most exciting to me in almost 40 years as a fins fan (was too young to care about the NFL draft in 1983).

I just want to ask about the first issue. Is our need truly WR? Is it Fuller and the rest of our WRs are hurt a lot? I thought Preston showed some great skill, and Fuller is a proven beast.

Or do we just want someone from Alabama that Tua knows 'sort of' so we reach for Waddle or Smith at 6 after Atl takes Pitts?

I don't have the time to watch a whole football game lately, even using a DVR to skip through all the bs so I truly don't know and am not trying to be argumentative.

I remember Tua under a lot of pressure, so maybe Sewell wouldn't be the end of the world despite it being a boring pick.

I'm new here, but I am an old guy that's lurked for years. These threads are fun to read. These last 2 drafts have been the most exciting to me in almost 40 years as a fins fan (was too young to care about the NFL draft in 1983).

I just want to ask about the first issue. Is our need truly WR? Is it Fuller and the rest of our WRs are hurt a lot? I thought Preston showed some great skill, and Fuller is a proven beast.

Or do we just want someone from Alabama that Tua knows 'sort of' so we reach for Waddle or Smith at 6 after Atl takes Pitts?

I don't have the time to watch a whole football game lately, even using a DVR to skip through all the bs so I truly don't know and am not trying to be argumentative.

I remember Tua under a lot of pressure, so maybe Sewell wouldn't be the end of the world despite it being a boring pick.
Good post bro from one old timer to another

I'm in the minority here, but I'd say... no.

I think that our receiving core is better than most will credit... what we lacked last year was a deep threat and a slot receiver. The deep threat was signed (Fuller), and the slot receiver (Wilson) is returning. Yes, I would still draft ONE receiver... but it doesn't have to be in the first.

If we're betting the farm on Tua you have to give the kid weapons.

We need "game changers" on O.

Have to bank on the OL getting better based on the reponderance of youth.

Receiver + RB + some Creed Humphrey would be nice. Or maybe we target an OT.

Bottom line ------ we need IMPACT from those 2 R1s and 2 R2s. Not projects.

Beyond that ----------- keeping Preston and DVP healthy is critical.

We have talent as long as that talent is playing in high-performance mode and not a MASH unit.

If Pitts is the pick at #6, Miami will still need to find a slot reciever later on in the draft. Rodgers could potentially, be of interest with pick #81. He played well during senior bowl week. He's a strong kid too.

Picks #18, 36 and 50 as well all expect will be some combo of a RB, Edge and/or Offensive Linemen. But don't discount another CB, rumor is; Miami is on the hunt for another.

For what it's worth, Miami did a lot of work on Horn. That could be simply due diligence, but I could see him at #18 if he is still on the board.

I know a lot of fans are projecting pick #50 for Williams. I doubt he gets there.

Jets and Dolphins both need centers so that concerns me a bit, as they have a lot of picks and are ahead of Miami in the draft order.

Back
Top Bottom