April Draft Thoughts | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

April Draft Thoughts

Pass rush, offensive line, pass catchers are all significantly more important when it comes to actually winning football games. Every year people act like there’s this can’t miss top tier of RBs and every year the best one comes from outside of that top tier
Yeah. Like, how much did Edwards-Helaire help KC in that Super Bowl?

No one absolutely no one ever mention drafting Harris on finheaven, 99% of finheaven was dumbfounded, we all knew it was a terrible pick.
This is the crap that scares us about Grier. Like, somehow, he has absolute misgivings about what 'Talent' is.
Like, he's always looking for weird intangibles and missing flashing bright beacons of relevant fact.

Jets and Dolphins both need centers so that concerns me a bit, as they have a lot of picks and are ahead of Miami in the draft order.

The Jests need EVERYTHING. Let’s be real.

Unfortunately, other than QB, the order they’ll address needing everything could conflict with our own needs. Specifically beginning in round 2.

Forget their #2 pick since they are taking a QB and we won’t be. So barring changes, we will have 2 draft selections (6, 18) before they have a chance to address other positions.

Great for us.

Day 2 is where it gets interesting. Hopefully we are targeting a different position at 36 than they are at 34.

And then we also have that #50 pick before they get back on the clock in round 3.

Well, can agree to disagree I guess ... if you think that TUA is going to ‘light’ it up this year ... I think you will be VERY disappointed ... even if we drafted PITTS (or SMITH, CHASE or WADDLE), WILLIAMS (or ETIENNE or HARRIS) and a WR in the 1st 4x picks ... which ain’t happening anyway ...

It isn’t how we are going to play ... DEF is going to rule this team, just like it did in NE ... regardless of Brady ... here TUA ...
and I'm okay with that too! Parsons at 6, Phillips at 18.....let's make this defense ELITE!!!! We can still get impact offensive players at 36 and 50. Many options to go forward to improve this team.

I'm,.

First, I will say needs are( not necessarily in order of importance), T, WR, LB, S, CB

For our picks
6-Smith or Sewell
18-Trevon Moehrig(spelled name wrong sorry)
However, if parsons is still here PARSONS. I would trade up for Parsons if he slips past 12.
36-Williams RB
50- Best rated center

Prediction-
Devante Parker traded to GB while on the clock in the first
Also, I have a feeling Xavien Howard is traded. Denver or Dallas. Replaced by Surtain in draft.

Oh man. After reading my own response, did I really just say Miami will end up drafting 4 players in the 1st? Ummm, let me rethink this lol

*Rolls up sleeves*

IMO, guy to replace X or Byron Jones is already on the team. Noah Igbinoghene got absolutely smoked in his first couple games...as one of the two youngest players in the NFL, with no offseason and limited practices. He's been called a bust based on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th games of the season...when he played nearly half of his snaps for the entire year.

The narrative of "he can't even beat out Nik Needham for the slot corner position" doesn't fly with me, because they're practicing him at boundary corner - which is where I think they see him playing in 2022/23. I suspect we'll see more of him, in a pleasant way, if/when Jones/X get dinged up in 2021.

All of this being said? One can never have enough corners in the type of D Flores likes. I suspect Ar'Darius Washington is going to slip a bit because of his Pro Day times...I'd love to see Miami pick him up on Day 3 as a hybrid FS/nickel. Dude has some of the best ball skills I've ever seen.

If Pitts is the pick at #6, Miami will still need to find a slot reciever later on in the draft. Rodgers could potentially, be of interest with pick #81. He played well during senior bowl week. He's a strong kid too.

Picks #18, 36 and 50 as well all expect will be some combo of a RB, Edge and/or Offensive Linemen. But don't discount another CB, rumor is; Miami is on the hunt for another.
I don’t see the need for a slot WR in the draft. They presently have Wilson and Bowden on the roster and I think both of them are capable of being excellent in the slot. I think they need a #1 outside receiver which would complement Parker who would become the #2 WR on the outside.

I think any of the top 3 WR’s could be drafted to become that #1 WR. I won’t be upset if they draft Pitts but I prefer one of the top 3 WR’s at 6 instead f Pitts.

As far as the positions needed to draft with the other picks in the top 50, I agree with the positions you have listed. I think the pick at 18 should be a DE or LB. the second round picks should be a RB and another offensive lineman.

They drafted Iggy in the first round last year and they added a DB in free agenvy. I really don’t see the need to draft another CB unless they have already decided Iggy is not the player they thought he was when they drafted him.

I could see them perhaps drafting a safety in the first 3 rounds but not another CB.

We could have a defensive draft by BPA alone, there maybe 5 QB's selected before 18 pushing down the top defensive talent. If Chase and Pitts go before 6, I could easily see us going M.Parsons LB at 6... truly a great fit for this defense. Then what happens if a guy like Jaycee Horn drops to 18, do you pass up a potentially great CB for a good Edge guy? See where I'm going.....we still need an edge and may have to go at 36 there.
***Not promoting this as I would do the draft this way but Flores is a defensive coach and may see the offense only needing a tweak because of the returning of players like Wilson/Bowden etc...50 and 81 could be used to improve the offense.

Also add the factor that this FO doesn't do what everyone thinks/predicts they will do!

We could have a defensive draft by BPA alone, there maybe 5 QB's selected before 18 pushing down the top defensive talent. If Chase and Pitts go before 6, I could easily see us going M.Parsons LB at 6... truly a great fit for this defense. Then what happens if a guy like Jaycee Horn drops to 18, do you pass up a potentially great CB for a good Edge guy? See where I'm going.....we still need an edge and may have to go at 36 there.
***Not promoting this as I would do the draft this way but Flores is a defensive coach and may see the offense only needing a tweak because of the returning of players like Wilson/Bowden etc...50 and 81 could be used to improve the offense.

Also add the factor that this FO doesn't do what everyone thinks/predicts they will do!
I agree 100%. I think Miami might pull a switch on all of us. We're thinking offense and they go defense. They could very well be looking at some prime defensive players at their selection slots.

Although if you've read the resent article by Armando, who claims, Miami is down to $8m in cap space with the need to have about $12m to sign their draft picks. He stated, they are holding off releasing any more players until after the draft. He then went on to explain all the possible moves Miami could make to gain cap space. Interesting analysts by him. Which would indicate an offensive draft.

Last edited:
If ATL and Cin go Pitts and Chase many of us will be disappointed.
I would be ok with Sewell. However, if that fourth QB is not gone, Denver may want to trade up and I eould love a second and a third this year.

Washington really wants Trey Lance, our 6ths for Chase Young and 19th pick in the first. Maybe we send back a third. Having picks back to back. We get a game-changer and beast in Chase. Imagine Chase in our defense, with the changes we have made at lb , with our secondary. The draft is deep in wideouts, with a lot of very good guys projected to be available there. Bateman , Toney Maybe take Harris at 19. Or swallow up someone who is falling.

As I've said... that's one opinion.

My opinion is that our Edge play is a MUCH bigger need if we expect to win football games... and bringing in one more top quality lineman might even be a bigger need as our line was rated 28th in the league.
Ya I think you might be right, edge play is a huge concern. But the problem is we need to avoid over drafting a player at 18 to fill that need. The edge players this year have many questions so I think we should go online maybe at 18 or running back. Or just best available player.

Ya I think you might be right, edge play is a huge concern. But the problem is we need to avoid over drafting a player at 18 to fill that need. The edge players this year have many questions so I think we should go online maybe at 18 or running back. Or just best available player.
I pointed this out earlier in another thread, but I went to NFL.com and used Zierlein's numerical ratings (those are about as official as these things get), and there are a number of prospects who fit at 18. Oweh is ranked #19 there, for instance, and several others are in the low-mid 20s.
BPA might well be an edge.

Washington really wants Trey Lance, our 6ths for Chase Young and 19th pick in the first. Maybe we send back a third. Having picks back to back. We get a game-changer and beast in Chase. Imagine Chase in our defense, with the changes we have made at lb , with our secondary. The draft is deep in wideouts, with a lot of very good guys projected to be available there. Bateman , Toney Maybe take Harris at 19. Or swallow up someone who is falling.
Maybe just me but that's insane even for that douche bag Snyder...

Back
Top Bottom