Are a couple crappy wins really worth it guys? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are a couple crappy wins really worth it guys?

Totally different era of football. With the way the rules are so geared toward the offense and especially the passing game, It's never been more important to have elite like QB play. A Dan Marino led team in this era would be a Super Bowl contender even more so than when he was playing.
Both points are correct. This is true. A Marino-led team today would be in the SB conversation every year the same way a Rodgers or Brees led team is, or Peyton led was. It’s just a fact and there is no logical argument that one could make that could convince me otherwise. Having said that, he still would need help. The aforementioned guys - Peyton “only” has 2 and let’s be honest - he has ZERO to do w that last one as he was terrible in the game which was won by D and ST either scoring or setting him up inside the 5. Brees “only” has 1. Same with Rodgers. Dan would have gotten a ring in this era - I have no doubt. But you still have to field a solid 53 and have coaches that can coach and a system that works. Does anyone really believe Brady is better than Manning was? Or is 5 SB wins “better” than Rodgers? I don’t. He’s great, yes. But the system is bigger than even the QB (Cassel, Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett all had terrific w/l under it). Let’s build a real program here and not over-rely on the QB. I know how that movie ends. I saw it too many times. We all did.

Both points are correct. This is true. A Marino-led team today would be in the SB conversation every year the same way a Rodgers or Brees led team is, or Peyton led was. It’s just a fact and there is no logical argument that one could make that could convince me otherwise. Having said that, he still would need help. The aforementioned guys - Peyton “only” has 2 and let’s be honest - he has ZERO to do w that last one as he was terrible in the game which was won by D and ST either scoring or setting him up inside the 5. Brees “only” has 1. Same with Rodgers. Dan would have gotten a ring in this era - I have no doubt. But you still have to field a solid 53 and have coaches that can coach and a system that works. Does anyone really believe Brady is better than Manning was? Or is 5 SB wins “better” than Rodgers? I don’t. He’s great, yes. But the system is bigger than even the QB (Cassel, Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett all had terrific w/l under it). Let’s build a real program here and not over-rely on the QB. I know how that movie ends. I saw it too many times. We all did.
No one is saying you can't do both, but I know one thing for sure, elite QB play opens up a wide Super Bowl window for as long as that QB plays for your team.

No one is saying you can't do both, but I know one thing for sure, elite QB play opens up a wide Super Bowl window for as long as that QB plays for your team.
Indeed it does. Let’s get that next great QB AND have a plan / system / not allow him to “be the system”. Just cautioning against over - reliance on 1 guy. But yes I’d be happy to have that guy first.

Didn't the Dolphins almost win the two games prior to the Jets game? Forgot. If we lost by a narrow margin in those games then we are indeed progressing. To win any NFL game with a who's who squad speaks volumes on Flores. HC is kicking it.

Absolutely a couple of wins are worth it. What it is doing is showing the coaches which players show heart, ability and toughness on a roster that is void of stars. Those players - Needham, Laird, and a couple of of DB's are playing for their future. If they have the heart to win, they will have a future in Miami, or the NFL.

100% its important.,

Remember these damn wins when they offer everything we’ve acquired to get up there for a qb.

Stop talking about all these damn picks we have. Cause you aren’t gonna do anything but trade a good number of them to get in position for the qb.

And I don’t want to hear any of the “just win” cats bitching about it when it happens.

cincis already trumping you for a guaranteed lock qb pick.

But Hoops, weren't we celebrating in the offseason that Grier acquired all of those picks incase a situation like this occured?

You can't be greedy, brotha. I, too, want to keep them all but- I hate this cliche- you can't have your cake and eat it too.

This forum is so bipolar. There were so many posts stating that if Flores went winless or 1-16, he wasn't worth hiring because no good coach does that.

Now most are bitching because we're not winless or 1-16.

I'm not saying you're one or the other because I haven't read enough of your posts to see what you said then as opposed to saying now.

Look at all the good that has come from the wins; Preston looking like a beast, Parker beginning to earn his keep, Gesicki contributing, a defensive scheme that makes Burke look like he should be coaching pee-wee, CBs whose names I don't know making big plays, most disciplined team in the league and what seems to be a top notch coaching staff.

We can't have it both ways.

Let's just be happy that if we need to move up to get the QB, we can and still have enough picks to have a solid draft.

Trading the picks saddens me too. Drafting 3 first rounders is so huge.

Guys we have sooooo much money next year and tons of draft picks. Do I want Tua or Burrow? Of course I do? Would I be excited if we ended up with Young, Fromm, and Wirfs/Biadasz/Humphrey combo in the first round? Damn right I would be.

Like other posters have said we have the ammo to move up and grab one of the power 2 if we really wanted to (assuming the redskins get that #2 pick) and honestly, if we traded all 2 first rounders (ours and steelers) this year, and one of next years first for Tua...I wouldn't be opposed to it. I know many would think that is stupid but I really do see him as a game changing talent that can take a team and put it on his back while we build around him. Even in that scenario we would have 2 first round picks this year, and 2 first round picks next year...and Tua Tagovailoa...

Lets just see how it shakes out. I'm starting to think we will finish 4-12. I think that will put us around 5 when drafting. Enjoy watching our team grow guys. Its better than watching them get worse every game...

No touching next years firsts, please. We have more than plenty of ammunition with this years picks to move up if we desire.

I don't understand why people aren't scared of Tua just as much as they are excited about him.

Tua's injuries worry me. The odds of his ankle getting hurt again would inrease exponentially behind the Oline we currently start . Hopefully with some solid oline picks and using that cap space, we can strengthen that line.

He was such a soldier playing with that ankle and playing well. That's the kind of leadership you want in a QB. But you could tell it affected his game. Even the announcers commented that an injury-free Tua would have rushed for some of those 1st downs when LSU coverage was amazing. The field was wide oppened.

Both points are correct. This is true. A Marino-led team today would be in the SB conversation every year the same way a Rodgers or Brees led team is...

the irony of course is that those qb’s were picked 27th, 24th and 33rd. We dont get to cherry pick a QB 10 yrs into their career. THose thinking #1 is the holy grail and magic silver bullet are very likely wrong.

i just dont see Tua (or any QB this year )
being a can’t-miss prospect.

Last edited:
I keep seeing posts that run along the lines of "Well, atleast we found a coach".

Talk about a hot take with no real thought behind it.

They beat a poorly coached, under performing team in the Jets and a Colts team with too many injuries to key positions.

This coaching staff has proven NOTHING. They got lucky with those two wins.

Just for reference, Rodgers' SB win was with the NFL's 2nd best D.

I keep seeing posts that run along the lines of "Well, atleast we found a coach".

Talk about a hot take with no real thought behind it.

They beat a poorly coached, under performing team in the Jets and a Colts team with too many injuries to key positions.

This coaching staff has proven NOTHING. They got lucky with those two wins.

Don't know your hx with the '19 team, but there were quite a few here claiming Miami's roster was garbage, filled with scrubs and guys who shouldn't even be in the NFL. Couldn't evn beat a college team. 0-16 was assured. The 1st 4 games seemed to confirm that. However, any unbiased person will admit the team has steadily improved. Whether they won or lost, the last 5 games have shown a team playing disciplined football and competing with 'NFL teams.' If Flo can get a talentless team to win ONE game, and play others close, he's shown a lot as a coach. Or, maybe, he's coached up some players and gotten their potential out of them. That's still a good coach.

The idea that if you were bad enough to get the top pick or a top 2 or 3 pick in the draft you'd magically assure yourself the best player, specifically the best quarterback, was always utterly delusional. History demonstrates this. The best QBs in the game: Mahomes, 10th pick, Roethlisberger 11th, Watson 12th , Rodgers 24th, Jackson 32d, Brees, 2nd round, Wilson, 3d round, Brady, 6th round.

Notable #1 quarterbacks: Goff, Bradford, Jameis Winston, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, David Carr, Michael Vick, Jeff George, Alex Smith, Matthew Stafford, if you expand that to top 3 QBs add in Joey Harrington, Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, Marcus Mariota, Vince Young, Bortles, Akili Smith, Shuler on and on and on. The only top picks at QB to come close to fulfilling their draft position were Luck and Cam Newton and Carson Palmer and none of them became champs and someone like Tua has never been in that realm of prospect, regardless of how many people on here call him a generational talent.

I've given this some thought, and I can only see one answer to this... bear with me.

Several posters here (no names for now) are crushingly unhappy and bent... just bent that the Dolphins have won a couple of meaningless games(in their words). " I hope you're happy now", they say. "You are going to regret those wins for decades when we don't get our choice of quarterbacks!"

These fellows are just livid that their plan for getting better isn't being followed. People's intelligence have been questioned... Some of us have been called names.

...and I didn't get it for awhile. I mean, what is it that they want from us?

Then it struck me. They want us to be as miserable as they are.

Their entire schtick is 'misery loves company' and 'I'm freaking miserable. Cry with me. How DARE you be happy!'

It's kind of sad, but I can't do that. I won't do that.

Remember these damn wins when they offer everything we’ve acquired to get up there for a qb.

Stop talking about all these damn picks we have. Cause you aren’t gonna do anything but trade a good number of them to get in position for the qb.

And I don’t want to hear any of the “just win” cats bitching about it when it happens.

cincis already trumping you for a guaranteed lock qb pick.

I don't see them doing that. I don't believe this is the mindset of the franchise. While we know Ross convents Tua, we have no idea who Flo and Grier like. I like Tua, but I don't believe he's a generational player. There isn't one QB in this group that I see that. I do believe Tua is the top QB but TBH I'm not sure he's the first QB drafted.

I don't even see Miami using all three picks in the first round. I believe they will trade one of the later ones for future draft capital.

Back
Top Bottom