Are Dolphins Over Roster Limit? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Dolphins Over Roster Limit?

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Ok, currently the Dolphins have 78 players active players in training camp(including Will Allen who may soon be headed to IR).

Now, Phillip Merling, AJ Edds and Evan Oglesby were placed on IR, but still count against the 80 man training camp limit. The Dolphins did release Taurus Johnson today, but signed Ray Feinga and Kevin Hobbs which from what I understand puts the team over the limit by one player. Unless there was another player released that the team just hasn't announced yet and the local beat writers missed. Am I missing something?

Ok, currently the Dolphins have 78 players active players in training camp(including Will Allen who may soon be headed to IR).

Now, Phillip Merling, AJ Edds and Evan Oglesby were placed on IR, but still count against the 80 man training camp limit. The Dolphins did release Taurus Johnson today, but signed Ray Feinga and Kevin Hobbs which from what I understand puts the team over the limit by one player. Unless there was another player released that the team just hasn't announced yet and the local beat writers missed. Am I missing something?

Don't ask me. I flunked math in school.

in other news the Jets have announced they're going to quit talking in public. i hope that includes Rex.

Isnt Kory Sheets also on the IR? And doesnt he count against the 80 man roster also?

yeah i was gonna say maybe he took sheets spot sheets was waived and isnt on the roster anymore i belive

Isnt Kory Sheets also on the IR? And doesnt he count against the 80 man roster also?

Sheets was wavied/injured, so no he doesn't count. Nobody picked Sheets up, so the Dolphins were able to place him on their IR without taking a roster hit. Oglesby, Merling and Edds were placed on IR and not waived, so they will still count against the roster.

Sheets was wavied/injured, so no he doesn't count. Nobody picked Sheets up, so the Dolphins were able to place him on their IR without taking a roster hit. Oglesby, Merling and Edds were placed on IR and not waived, so they will still count against the roster.

Gotchya.

But see, this logic doesn't make sense to me. First of all, I heard no news of Kory Sheets officially being signed back to IR. His Wiki page still lists him as a free agent.

Also, if waiving a player and then waiting 48 hours before placing them on IR is a way to keep them off the 80 (as you claim with Sheets), why didn't they do this with Oglesby? Heck, they even cut the guy and then brought him back. Why wouldn't they do the same thing with him which you claim they did with Sheets in order to lower the official roster number?

But see, this logic doesn't make sense to me. First of all, I heard no news of Kory Sheets officially being signed back to IR. His Wiki page still lists him as a free agent.

Also, if waiving a player and then waiting 48 hours before placing them on IR is a way to keep them off the 80 (as you claim with Sheets), why didn't they do this with Oglesby? Heck, they even cut the guy and then brought him back. Why wouldn't they do the same thing with him which you claim they did with Sheets in order to lower the official roster number?
Sheets was placed on IR after he cleared waivers. He sorta confirmed it himself:

http://twitter.com/Sheets24K/status/20502846410

Also, it has since been listed as an official transaction:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/08/06/nfl-transactions-for-august-5-2010

MIAMI - Reserve/injured: RB Kory Sheets (Achilles). Roster addition: CB Evan Oglesby (released by Dolphins 8/3).

I agree with you, why not just put Oglesby on waivers? The thing is, perhaps all the local media outlets reported he wasn't waived/injured are wrong and that is where the mystery ends with the 81st player.

I dont think a PUPplayer counts toward the 80. I would think thats where Allen would be heading before oing to IR.

Back
Top Bottom