Are the days of the true pocket passer numbered? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the days of the true pocket passer numbered?

It seems to me that as long as a team is going to pass 50% of time or more, a QB who can analyze defenses, make calls to change a play at the line of scrimmage and face the rush and still throw accurately (a pocket passer) has the most important tools a QB can possess.

Being able to run effectively to escape the rush and then still deliver the pass and save the play is only the second most important quality a QB can have.

Being able to run effectively to save a play or score is in my mind the 3rd most important attribute a QB can have.

It's easy for a fan to remember one or two exceptionally heroic plays by a QB as opposed to appreciating and valuing consistently good play by a QB.

Knowing how well a QB's skill set will translate to the NFL where the opposition is tougher across the board is where the draft evaluators make all the difference. If a QB doesn't fit the kinds of playing that the coaching is delivering, then it makes no difference at all who the QB is and very little difference how "good" that QB is.

Biggest misconception is that a qb has to be mobile. Dating back to modern football, maneuvering in the pocket has been a lost art. Ironically Tua did a great job in college. One of the biggest strengths of Tua over Jones was just that. Hell Mahommes biggest strength is his pocket presence. As much as he takes too many steps back he can maneuver through the pocket with such poise. Taking a step back left right, making linear speed rushers miss. You cannot teach that. The Fran Tarkensons etc were all great pocket passers that could move around and not scramble out of the line of scrimmage unless they had to.

Biggest misconception is that a qb has to be mobile. Dating back to modern football, maneuvering in the pocket has been a lost art.
I love how Marino was so elusive in the pocket. He wasn't going to outrun anybody, but with a quick little shuffle step he made a lot of pass rushers whiff!

I still have a big ? mark on Jackson. 2019 it looked like he was on his way up with a bullet....
To me, the jury is still out. I know the coaches made a deliberate, conscious decision to radically change the scheme his second year when he became a starter. That tells me they had little confidence he could run the offense Flacco had been running.

I'm not completely sold on LJ either but am not as skeptical as was when he was a rookie.

Good for Harbaugh & Roman for tweaking this scheme to fit Lamar's strength. Unlike Wildeyes Gase who wouldn't stay w/ what worked for Tannehill in 2016

I find it curious that when watching BMore games there will be times when LJ will makes a mistake and none of the coaches come to mentor him. Whereas coaches will still come to talk w/ Wilson, Mahomes, etc... to find out what went wrong

p.s. I don't know if the lack off season hindered Lamar like it did Tua.

NFL will keep changing the rule to make sure DL cannot be in the same zip code of the qb, and the cb cannot smell the wr. So No to your question.

Ray = qb from the 70s in college and NFL. He is just not telling us.
You are so far off.........

Ray was an alien craft test pilot at area 51, prior to being an Apollo program astronaut. After getting Masters degrees (partical physics/astro mechanics at MIT), he went to work at CERN.

He was ostracized there for not working and playing well with the other (inferior) scientists.

Currently, he's working point for the NASA Mars colony mission.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom