Are the Dolphins purposely tanking in the 2nd half? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins purposely tanking in the 2nd half?

ok so basically Flores is intentionally sabotaging his team to lose? Did he instruct Fitz to throw that crucial pick in Buffalo? O leary to drop that ball
For the pick?

why didn’t he let Rosen just continue to play QB?

was everyone on board for this rebuild or whatever you want to call it. Yes, I think they were I’m not buying that Flores wants to go 0-16 though.
You didn’t even try to answer the question but we agree that they aren’t doing enough to win

Obvious miscommunication or blown assignment(s). The coaches and players are not trying to lose games. If they were, Rosen would be starting.

As for the coaching staff being in over their head? Sorry Wanny but I think they're doing a good job with the hand they have been dealt.

I've seen absolutely nothing so far that makes me want to keep this coaching staff around to develop the quarterback we draft in the top 3.

Yup, none of us know for absolute sure, but either way it's going to be difficult to win a couple games...so in the end the outcome is probably the same or real close.

I just don't know what to make of the Jets. They concern me.

We have the same schedule as them outside of Jaguars/Raiders for NYJ, Colts/Chargers for us.

Colts are 5-2, Chargers 3-5, combined 8-7. Jaguars are 4-4, Raiders are 3-4, combined 7-8.

We really need the Jags/Raiders to finish with a better combined record than the Colts/Chargers.

Disclaimer: If we go 0-16, none of this matters.

I just don't trust Adam Gase to "let us" execute a perfect plan. The Jets not only drafted Darnold, they gave up 3 2nd round picks to do it. They are very devoid of talent and securing a top 2 pick might let them gain a lot of draft capitol their roster obviously is missing.

At the same time, can Adam Gase afford to lose to Miami even once and keep his job?

I just don't know what to make of the Jets. They concern me.

We have the same schedule as them outside of Jaguars/Raiders for NYJ, Colts/Chargers for us.

Colts are 5-2, Chargers 3-5, combined 8-7. Jaguars are 4-4, Raiders are 3-4, combined 7-8.

We really need the Jags/Raiders to finish with a better combined record than the Colts/Chargers.

Disclaimer: If we go 0-16, none of this matters.

I just don't trust Adam Gase to "let us" execute a perfect plan. The Jets not only drafted Darnold, they gave up 3 2nd round picks to do it. They are very devoid of talent and securing a top 2 pick might let them gain a lot of draft capitol their roster obviously is missing.

At the same time, can Adam Gase afford to lose to Miami even once and keep his job?

I find it ironic that the same Gase who supposedly didn't want to be here for a rebuild - Bell, Anderson and Adams were all rumored to be on the block, so that would have left the Jets where exactly? He losses here Sunday- yes- I think the papers and fans will kill him on Monday.

Why the heck is the coaching staff completely abandoning anything that is working then. Walton and the run game against Buffalo. The blitz packages that had Rudolph on his heels the entire first half.

Yea Fitz is starting because they want to give the illusion that they are not tanking despite the fact it is so obvious they are. Do you people believe everything on the mainstream news too?

ok so basically Flores is intentionally sabotaging his team to lose? Did he instruct Fitz to throw that crucial pick in Buffalo? O leary to drop that ball
For the pick?

why didn’t he let Rosen just continue to play QB?

was everyone on board for this rebuild or whatever you want to call it. Yes, I think they were I’m not buying that Flores wants to go 0-16 though.
And neither does Grier. The plan is a multi-year plan and on top of it all was acquiring draft picks and clear cap space while getting rid of mediocre talent which did not play up to their contracts. Included in that plan was not to overspend on players which may be gone in a couple years but rather sign good situational players which can be used in the future. Also included was the acquisition of undrafted and tossed aside players to evaluate them as potential role players and situational players. Some players we are deeming unfit right now may be decent support cast when paired with future talent we will acquire.
The goal this season is and was to evaluate players for future use while trying to win as many games as possible and become more and more competitive as the season goes on. But what goes for the players holds true for the coaches as well. They are rookies in their respective positions, trying to delegate players who for the most part are first time starters and players in the NFL.

Neither Grier nor Flores said and wanted to tank because that's not what their philosophies are. Those who are hiding behind the word "tanking" have simply no idea what the goal is nor what this rebuild is about. They don't like to lose but it was expected that we would lose more than we win. They formed a rag tag team into a team who plays as hard as they can, play through all the mockery and is trying to win a game. I am extremely encouraged how this team has grown over the season and how the coaching staff has learned on the fly. My biggest concern right now is not a coaching staff who got overconfident and made a rookie mistake by calling an all out blitz on 3rd and 20 with 30 seconds to go because I know they will learn from that. No, my concern is a player like Howard who had a chance to stop the play and completely blew his assignment. Young players and coaches need veteran players and your supposed superstars to step up. If Howard stays with his assignment and stops Johnson short of the first or even if Howard would have reacted properly and quickly closed in on Johnson taking away Rudolph's target that play call is hailed as gutsy and brilliant.

What we are seeing is a rebuild at its finest and while I love to win and root to win every game I am enjoying this season evaluating players and coaches and see them grow. Right now the future looks bright, brighter than it has ever looked.

Why the heck is the coaching staff completely abandoning anything that is working then. Walton and the run game against Buffalo. The blitz packages that had Rudolph on his heels the entire first half.

Yea Fitz is starting because they want to give the illusion that they are not tanking despite the fact it is so obvious they are. Do you people believe everything on the mainstream news too?
Well, the "mainstream news" also implies that we're "tanking"

There recently was an article that illustrated the improvement from the defense broken down into 3 game spurts. Over the last 3 games Miami's defense is giving up 330 yards per game, which would rank them #8 overall in defense. To me that shows coaching. To be that good with 2nd and 3rd stringers making up most of the starting defensive unit says alot about the coaches. The tank comes from the lack of adjustments, the play calls that seemingly secure loses and the pure lack of starting caliber players. Again, imagine what this team would look like with better players and the adjustments that I anticipate being made when the team finally turns the corner. This is the evidence I mentioned in an earlier post about Flores. I don't believe the 2 pt conversion play or the 3rd and forever play call ever happen if it wasn't for the tank.

There recently was an article that illustrated the improvement from the defense broken down into 3 game spurts. Over the last 3 games Miami's defense is giving up 330 yards per game, which would rank them #8 overall in defense. To me that shows coaching. To be that good with 2nd and 3rd stringers making up most of the starting defensive unit says alot about the coaches. The tank comes from the lack of adjustments, the play calls that seemingly secure loses and the pure lack of starting caliber players. Again, imagine what this team would look like with better players and the adjustments that I anticipate being made when the team finally turns the corner. This is the evidence I mentioned in an earlier post about Flores. I don't believe the 2 pt conversion play or the 3rd and forever play call ever happen if it wasn't for the tank.

least amounts of penalties in the league also- which is a little surprising.

Reactions: MD
I think it’s more the teams lack of talent shows up the longer the game goes.

But it’s all part of the plan.
Agreed. The talent level gets exposed in 2nd half after coaching adjustments and our depth have to come in. Also agree that’s by design from Front office and allows them to refute any accusatory claims of tanking. It’s a perfectly executed strategy for #1 overall (so far), I tip my hat to Grier and co.

And neither does Grier. The plan is a multi-year plan and on top of it all was acquiring draft picks and clear cap space while getting rid of mediocre talent which did not play up to their contracts. Included in that plan was not to overspend on players which may be gone in a couple years but rather sign good situational players which can be used in the future. Also included was the acquisition of undrafted and tossed aside players to evaluate them as potential role players and situational players. Some players we are deeming unfit right now may be decent support cast when paired with future talent we will acquire.
The goal this season is and was to evaluate players for future use while trying to win as many games as possible and become more and more competitive as the season goes on. But what goes for the players holds true for the coaches as well. They are rookies in their respective positions, trying to delegate players who for the most part are first time starters and players in the NFL.

Neither Grier nor Flores said and wanted to tank because that's not what their philosophies are. Those who are hiding behind the word "tanking" have simply no idea what the goal is nor what this rebuild is about. They don't like to lose but it was expected that we would lose more than we win. They formed a rag tag team into a team who plays as hard as they can, play through all the mockery and is trying to win a game. I am extremely encouraged how this team has grown over the season and how the coaching staff has learned on the fly. My biggest concern right now is not a coaching staff who got overconfident and made a rookie mistake by calling an all out blitz on 3rd and 20 with 30 seconds to go because I know they will learn from that. No, my concern is a player like Howard who had a chance to stop the play and completely blew his assignment. Young players and coaches need veteran players and your supposed superstars to step up. If Howard stays with his assignment and stops Johnson short of the first or even if Howard would have reacted properly and quickly closed in on Johnson taking away Rudolph's target that play call is hailed as gutsy and brilliant.

What we are seeing is a rebuild at its finest and while I love to win and root to win every game I am enjoying this season evaluating players and coaches and see them grow. Right now the future looks bright, brighter than it has ever looked.

The future has never looked dimmer. When the top-trending topic Monday night on social media was about the Dolphins looking like they're deliberately throwing games, that's very bad. Bad for league and definitely bad for the organization. Whatever you think of the merits or demerits of this tanking strategy, the coaching staff appears utterly inept and leaving someone like Tua in their hands would be negligence. Inept organizations ruin promising players, Jets are doing it with Gase, Colts did it with Pagano, Browns are doing it with Kitchens; Bill O'Brien is doing it with Texans.

Back
Top Bottom