Are the Dolphins purposely tanking in the 2nd half? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins purposely tanking in the 2nd half?

We have the rest of the season to evaluate Grier and Flores. I do think they need to win at least one game, even if it costs us Tua, just to show they know how to win a game, especially if more experienced options become available. I'm not saying anything against them, but I always want to upgrade if we can.

Playing devil's advocate on some of the positives here, our last three games have been against bottom feeders, except maybe the Bills this year. I would expect to see statistical improvement over the last three games. Let's see how it pans out for the rest of the year. As for penalties, not sure getting ejected for throwing a punch shows discipline, but regarding fewest penalties, is it possible that players just aren't playing aggressively? Playing not to get hurt? That could explain low penalties and also the lack of turnovers, where we have only 3 for the season. For me, I haven't seen enough improvement yet to keep an 0-16 coach and GM. But fortunately nobody has to decide today...we have the rest of the season. Let's hope the improvement continues and we win at least one game. That's all I need to see. Who knows what Ross wants to see, though, and that's all that matters.

****. For Flores to have this team in the last three games is a miracle. He's starting to cover spreads which is a good thing. He's beating vegas expectations of what this team really is. A dumpster fire. 3-0 ATS the past three weeks. I like Flores. I think we got a decent HC. Lets see how we finish (Hopefully 0-16).

We have been playing well in the first halves of games since the Cowboy game. He's either has good game plans or the opponents are not showing everything. Maybe a little of both. Second half of games, Im not sure whats going on. Maybe a little gamesmanship by Flores on the tank job. Maybe the lack of talent. Either way hes kept this team fighting. I cant believe this team hasnt quit yet. Good leader.

first of all good coaches do not go 0-16.they find a way to beat the jets, bengals, giants or other bottom feeders.

Next, the second half follies isn’t something to take lightly. For some reason we compete the first half them make absolutely zero adjustments the second half. Some say it’s a talent thing. Like the talent just runs out (like it’s an expendable resource?) or the players aren’t smart or talented enough to allow for mid game changes. The latter of the two is the most logical, however if you really think about it, it’s a really paper thin argument. They’re saying that Flores can’t coach these kids up enough to make ANY changes at half so they’re just going to do the same thing, damn the results. That’s not good, that’s lazy/incompetent coaching.

Finally I keep hearing the stupid comment that maybe Flores is in on the tank, screwing up the second half on purpose. Well if you know anything a about the guy or heard him speak you’d know right away that’s just idiotic. He has way too much integrity to do any of that on purpose. He’s a stand up guy who can teach discipline and playing hard. However, he is not an X’s and O’s Guy from what we’ve seen so far. Maybe he can survive if he surrounds himself with coordinators who are. However it’s not the guys we have now, especially on defense.

Finally how can you call guys (Vegas) who are right about 60% of the time the smart guys?

Intensity? That becasue he stares?

no I like how he practices hard and holds players instantly accountable for boneheaded mistakes with the tnt wall. We’re one if the least penalized teams in the league and when’s the last time we could say that?

You guys forget a couple years ago how much of an axe to grind Gase had with the broncos over being overlooked and fired there?

He’s gonna have that same axe Sunday with even more behind it.

What’s miamis behind the scenes motivation? There is none. We are putting guys on ir who can play who don’t even have season ending injuries with 10 weeks left in the season. Lol

I just hope we get to finally be the damn bride.

You don't see growth? Desire from players to compete and play hard? The discipline?

Honestly? I just see really bad football. Which is good, we need to tank it up, but I don't really see improvement. I see Miami hitting an easy stretch of the schedule and still getting waxed.

Nobody knows for sure. But you aren't going to sell me that defensive call before halftime against Pitt was because they didn't know better.

Call it experimenting - call it tanking, call it whatever you want. But don't call it trying to win.

:lol:
I swore the cameras showed Flores on the sidelines smiling after that play.

Miami's personnel cannot overcome legitimate adjustments. It's that simple.

But I have seen growth in a few WRs and TE. Maybe a guard here and there on offense.

On defense, outside of the front 7 and X, I am still becoming familiar with who they exactly are.

As for ESPN talking heads....tenor (46).gif

No, my concern is a player like Howard who had a chance to stop the play and completely blew his assignment.
We don’t know what his role was on that play. We can make educated guesses but we don’t know.

Fins arent improving from game to game IMO, they've just been facing bad teams lately...
Spot on.

Honestly? I just see really bad football. Which is good, we need to tank it up, but I don't really see improvement. I see Miami hitting an easy stretch of the schedule and still getting waxed.
That's fair. Something that sticks out like a sore thumb is the success rate on 3rd and short conversions, cleaning up and 3rd and long and the reduction in penalties. 5 penalties or less the last 5 games. Have to go back to Sparano to see that. Also of note in recent history is when the Dolphins have traveled to Buffalo and Pittsburgh, no matter how good or bad those teams have been, they normally get humiliated. especially on national TV.

Really looking forward to the 2nd Pats game to gauge where they're at.

Last edited:
first of all good coaches do not go 0-16.they find a way to beat the jets, bengals, giants or other bottom feeders.

Next, the second half follies isn’t something to take lightly. For some reason we compete the first half them make absolutely zero adjustments the second half. Some say it’s a talent thing. Like the talent just runs out (like it’s an expendable resource?) or the players aren’t smart or talented enough to allow for mid game changes. The latter of the two is the most logical, however if you really think about it, it’s a really paper thin argument. They’re saying that Flores can’t coach these kids up enough to make ANY changes at half so they’re just going to do the same thing, damn the results. That’s not good, that’s lazy/incompetent coaching.

Finally I keep hearing the stupid comment that maybe Flores is in on the tank, screwing up the second half on purpose. Well if you know anything a about the guy or heard him speak you’d know right away that’s just idiotic. He has way too much integrity to do any of that on purpose. He’s a stand up guy who can teach discipline and playing hard. However, he is not an X’s and O’s Guy from what we’ve seen so far. Maybe he can survive if he surrounds himself with coordinators who are. However it’s not the guys we have now, especially on defense.

Finally how can you call guys (Vegas) who are right about 60% of the time the smart guys?

Or maybe the front office (Ross) says if you want to keep your job you cut it off in the second half. Look sounds crazy but lets not act like that wouldnt go on. It would be very easy to just cut bait from Flores after a 1-2 win season. Ross already has "cause" to fire him right now given the record, but if Flores plays the game and gets the top pick he stays. Plus if Flores really does have an extended leash, he has self interest in getting his pick of QB in the draft. Some shady stuff is going to happen the next 8 games. Jets trying to sell off good players. Bengals benching Dalton. Lets just say this isnt your normal season in the NFL. Just odd there are this many shitty teams this year. I dont think its a coincidence. Generational QB prospect coming out in a QB starved league. Teams are going to start pulling out all the stops to get the next Mahomes.

Back
Top Bottom