Are We Cursed? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are We Cursed?

Heritage of 17-0, arguably the best QB to ever play the game played his entire career here, Don Shula and his accomplishments, List of HoFers; Hopefully more accomplishments forthcoming. We're good.

So we lost our best O-linemen...Booo "fricken" hooo....So we lost one of our best players from an area that we have not been that good at in a long time... You know what championship teams do, they suck it up, and play the game...And please don't come back with we are not a championship team, We don't know yet what type of team we are, that is why there is always a surprise team nobody expected anything from.

Miami Dolphins lost their starting QB most of the regular season when they went 17-0 (And losing a starting QB is significant).

We were not great, but good enough the last few years without Sitton, and though I agree it sucks, losing an O-linemen is way down there in devastating things that could happen to us...So next man up, and hope this is as bad as it gets.

Yes we are cursed or so my father says “snake bit”. He’s a raiders fan and pretty much a band wagoner for whoever is the hot team that year but he does agree the Fins are “snake bit”. Well it’s only one guy and Larson was supposed to be the answer last year and it’s his time again after a good second half last year but remeber he is injury prone also. The depth needs to hold up and keep Tannehill upright for us to have a chance. Next man up!

And what makes you think this is going to happen with the current coach and FO?
We're not cursed. Losing SItton is a blow, because he was our big free agent signing, and he's an excellent football player that was brought in to finally shore up a position where we have been dreadful for SEVEN YEARS.

But really, Sitton kind of proves the point that Miami must strongly reevaluate how the team goes about scouting and developing players on the offensive line. Look at all of the decent OL players we have right now:

1. Tunsil - FIRST ROUND PICK - was considered one of the elite prospects in the draft until a draft-day scandal.
2. James - FIRST ROUND PICK.
3. Sitton - FREE AGENT - came here as a veteran
4. Kilgore - TRADE - came here as a veteran
5. Jesse Davis - UDFA
6. Larsen - FREE AGENT - came here as a veteran

Maybe I'm being generous including Larsen in there, because he wasn't great last season, but he also had a rather serious injury he was playing through. But anyway, the point here is that outside of first round draft choices, Miami has been basically unable to find and develop any competent OL out of college. Sitton, Kilgore, and Larsen were all brought in from outside after they had been scouted and developed by other organizations. Jesse Davis right now appears to be the exception that proves the rule. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

This is an institutional organizational problem, and until the morons who run the show in Miami figure out how to identify and coach serviceable offensive linemen, the Dolphins are going to continue to be stuck in this hellish situation of needing to either burn first round draft picks on corn (nobody likes that) or signing old veterans whose bodies are starting to break down and will miss time with injuries. It also means that our depth is going to continue to be awful along the OL.

Quite frankly, this entire situation is disgusting and we've been in this boat since the damn Sparano years. I mean really, you can argue that since the JJ years, the team has struggled to find and develop offensive linemen. It's an ingrained problem for the Miami Dolphins and at this point I think we have to consider the fact that it's not just coaching or whichever yahoo is currently at the top of the hierarchy. This is a problem that starts with the scouts and permeates throughout the building. Everything from strength and conditioning, to positional coaching, to college scouting needs to be evaluated here. And until that happens and positive changes are made, this team is going to continue to be cruddy in the trenches when it has the football.

Heritage of 17-0, arguably the best QB to ever play the game played his entire career here, Don Shula and his accomplishments, List of HoFers; Hopefully more accomplishments forthcoming. We're good.

It won't be long before half of our fanbase wasn't even alive for any of that. Already there on the perfect season.

So we lost our best O-linemen...Booo "fricken" hooo....So we lost one of our best players from an area that we have not been that good at in a long time... You know what championship teams do, they suck it up, and play the game...And please don't come back with we are not a championship team, We don't know yet what type of team we are, that is why there is always a surprise team nobody expected anything from.

Miami Dolphins lost their starting QB most of the regular season when they went 17-0 (And losing a starting QB is significant).

We were not great, but good enough the last few years without Sitton, and though I agree it sucks, losing an O-linemen is way down there in devastating things that could happen to us...So next man up, and hope this is as bad as it gets.

You think we have been good enough for the last few years? Is that a defensive mechanism to mask your pain? If you like being mired in mediocrity, yeah that's good.

There are worse players we could have lost.

On the OL: Tunsil or james.
On the Offense in general: Tannehill, Drake, Stills, Grant (counting special teams here)
On the D: Wake, Quinn, McMillan, Alonso (yes, Alonso), Baker, Jones, Fitzpatrick, Howard, McCain.

Hell we already lost Marqueis Gray, and I'm not sure that wasn't a bigger blow.

Honestly at this point as much as it sucks to lose Sitton, I don't think he was the kind of guy that you should REALLY freak out about. As I said, I honestly feel like we've already taken a bigger blow in losing Gray, and that's also one we survived.

My license plate reads 1972FINS and I'm damn proud of it though that accomplishment may have been long ago. It's time to reach into our heritage bag and pull out a lineman that can hold his own and keep on trucking. We'd all be crying if it was #RT17 that got re-injured and couldn't play so let's be thankful that it is a replaceable cog that got hurt and nothing more!!!!! Finsup!!!!!!!!!

On the Offense in general: Tannehill, Drake, Stills, Grant (counting special teams here)
On the D: Wake, Quinn, McMillan, Alonso (yes, Alonso), Baker, Jones, Fitzpatrick, Howard, McCain.

Honestly at this point as much as it sucks to lose Sitton, I don't think he was the kind of guy that you should REALLY freak out about. As I said, I honestly feel like we've already taken a bigger blow in losing Gray, and that's also one we survived.

It sucks, especially because it appeared that we had stability and effectiveness on the Oline...something we've not had for 5-6 years. But if we can't overcome this loss, then any post season aspirations we had were pipe dreams.

Huizenga never should have nudged (fired) Shula into retirement and replaced him with that mercenary Jimmy Johnson.
For all Of the criticism of Shula in his final years as a coach, he never had a team get humiliated in the playoffs giving up 60+ points.
The curse of Shula has remained since then
Shula had a lot of coaching left in him. He was pushed out on the heels of 4 consecutive playoff seasons. JJ didn’t even get that for us.

Some of those are arguable, but Gray?? Not even close.

I do not think we are cursed. Injuries happen. Look at Titans from last week.
Now however, everyone must help. Oline

We're not cursed. Losing SItton is a blow, because he was our big free agent signing, and he's an excellent football player that was brought in to finally shore up a position where we have been dreadful for SEVEN YEARS.

But really, Sitton kind of proves the point that Miami must strongly reevaluate how the team goes about scouting and developing players on the offensive line. Look at all of the decent OL players we have right now:

1. Tunsil - FIRST ROUND PICK - was considered one of the elite prospects in the draft until a draft-day scandal.
2. James - FIRST ROUND PICK.
3. Sitton - FREE AGENT - came here as a veteran
4. Kilgore - TRADE - came here as a veteran
5. Jesse Davis - UDFA
6. Larsen - FREE AGENT - came here as a veteran

Maybe I'm being generous including Larsen in there, because he wasn't great last season, but he also had a rather serious injury he was playing through. But anyway, the point here is that outside of first round draft choices, Miami has been basically unable to find and develop any competent OL out of college. Sitton, Kilgore, and Larsen were all brought in from outside after they had been scouted and developed by other organizations. Jesse Davis right now appears to be the exception that proves the rule. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

This is an institutional organizational problem, and until the morons who run the show in Miami figure out how to identify and coach serviceable offensive linemen, the Dolphins are going to continue to be stuck in this hellish situation of needing to either burn first round draft picks on corn (nobody likes that) or signing old veterans whose bodies are starting to break down and will miss time with injuries. It also means that our depth is going to continue to be awful along the OL.

Quite frankly, this entire situation is disgusting and we've been in this boat since the damn Sparano years. I mean really, you can argue that since the JJ years, the team has struggled to find and develop offensive linemen. It's an ingrained problem for the Miami Dolphins and at this point I think we have to consider the fact that it's not just coaching or whichever yahoo is currently at the top of the hierarchy. This is a problem that starts with the scouts and permeates throughout the building. Everything from strength and conditioning, to positional coaching, to college scouting needs to be evaluated here. And until that happens and positive changes are made, this team is going to continue to be cruddy in the trenches when it has the football.
This is probably the best answer. The development of olinemen has been terrible since the 90's. THE 90'S!!
We've had a few good ones here and there(Donnelly), a few flashes in the pan(Jamie Nails)but overall the lack of ability to put together 5 linemen and some decent depth is astounding. It's almost institutional. I'm a Cincinnati Reds fan, and they have the same issue with starting pitching. A total inability to develop starters through their organization. They luck into a few (Cueto) here and there, but they can't seem to put together a solid, sustained starting 5. And it goes through their minor leagues. This team really does need to look at this issue hard this off-season and re-evaluate how they deal with acquiring and developing an o-line or we are going to be in for a world of hurt for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom