Are We Cursed? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are We Cursed?

Take it from someone with a working knowledge of archaeology and anthropological history:

You are sitting on someone's burial ground right now. Yes, you. Whoever you are and wherever you are, you are sitting on somebody's grave.

Cheers!

Some of those are arguable, but Gray?? Not even close.

Losing our starting tight end who is a good blocker, does things our other TEs don't do, and has been a net asset for us isn't a big blow? You think AJ Derby is better than Gray? Because that's who got his snaps.

Losing our starting tight end who is a good blocker, does things our other TEs don't do, and has been a net asset for us isn't a big blow? You think AJ Derby is better than Gray? Because that's who got his snaps.

I like Gray. But let's be honest, he's been on the team for a while now and has never really made much of an impact. It was also a position with depth.

There's no comparison to losing a pro bowl veteran at a position with no depth.

We're not curse. The team has just been horrible at drafting for years and these are the results. For does thinking our drafting has gotten better under Grier, no it hasn't and he was in charge of the scouting department for year so I have no idea how being a part of something so bad can get you ready for a turn around. We'll see what happens with our last two drafts but 2017 not looking all that good right now and as far as 2018 draft.......I like Minkah but we'll have to see about the rest.

I don't dislike Steve Ross or think he is a lousy owner, but to be fair, he DID hire Mike Tannenbaum.

Where was the Ross criticism AFTER the Titans game?

This seems to be one of those cases where before we knew about the Sutton injury and everything was looking fine no Ross critics had boarded the train.

But now that we've sustained an injury that train is filling up fast.

In Summary, When things are good nothing against Ross(certainly no praise for him either)

When things are not so good...well!

Well, I had criticism for the team after the Titans game. I think Matt Burke is a ****ing idiot. Why is TJ on the field in the base defense instead of Minkah? Oh, right, because one of them is a rookie and the other is an overpaid veteran, and we'd rather keep up appearances than put the best players on the field. Thanks, Matt.

I swear for every step forward it seems like we take two steps back. The recent bad luck of Sitton tearing his rotor cuff is par for the course with this team. Our O-Line was already shaky and with little reliable depth, the recent news seems like the earth has opened up and we getting consumed by the earthquake. Un-feaking believeable. We win 2 SBS and 2/3 of our backfield plus our All-World WR bolt for the WFL. We draft an All-Time great QB then saddle him with a inept DC and a staff that can not figure out how to find a running game. Then we go through a litany of coaches that should have been coaching Pop-Warner rather than in the NFL. I know there are other teams that seem to be headed down this path of destruction, but for 47yrs. this has been my team and I do not really care about the rest of the league. Maybe Larsen will somehow get better at his job or Asiata will do some kind of Samoan ritual dance and the Gods will elevate his play, but I am not holding my breath. I really thought, even with all the changes, we might be able to get back to the playoffs. I guess I can pray, cross my fingers and toes, and hope it works out.:bang:
I can’t beli you people are having a meltdown over a guard

I never said it was unique to Miami.:rolleyes:
So, then, every team that loses a player each year is cursed? Because it happens league-wide.

Just trying to wrap my head around your logic.

We're not cursed. Losing SItton is a blow, because he was our big free agent signing, and he's an excellent football player that was brought in to finally shore up a position where we have been dreadful for SEVEN YEARS.

But really, Sitton kind of proves the point that Miami must strongly reevaluate how the team goes about scouting and developing players on the offensive line. Look at all of the decent OL players we have right now:

1. Tunsil - FIRST ROUND PICK - was considered one of the elite prospects in the draft until a draft-day scandal.
2. James - FIRST ROUND PICK.
3. Sitton - FREE AGENT - came here as a veteran
4. Kilgore - TRADE - came here as a veteran
5. Jesse Davis - UDFA
6. Larsen - FREE AGENT - came here as a veteran

Maybe I'm being generous including Larsen in there, because he wasn't great last season, but he also had a rather serious injury he was playing through. But anyway, the point here is that outside of first round draft choices, Miami has been basically unable to find and develop any competent OL out of college. Sitton, Kilgore, and Larsen were all brought in from outside after they had been scouted and developed by other organizations. Jesse Davis right now appears to be the exception that proves the rule. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

This is an institutional organizational problem, and until the morons who run the show in Miami figure out how to identify and coach serviceable offensive linemen, the Dolphins are going to continue to be stuck in this hellish situation of needing to either burn first round draft picks on corn (nobody likes that) or signing old veterans whose bodies are starting to break down and will miss time with injuries. It also means that our depth is going to continue to be awful along the OL.

Quite frankly, this entire situation is disgusting and we've been in this boat since the damn Sparano years. I mean really, you can argue that since the JJ years, the team has struggled to find and develop offensive linemen. It's an ingrained problem for the Miami Dolphins and at this point I think we have to consider the fact that it's not just coaching or whichever yahoo is currently at the top of the hierarchy. This is a problem that starts with the scouts and permeates throughout the building. Everything from strength and conditioning, to positional coaching, to college scouting needs to be evaluated here. And until that happens and positive changes are made, this team is going to continue to be cruddy in the trenches when it has the football.

100 percent right.

And the sad thing is that IT'S NOT LIKE THIS PROBLEM IS UNSEEN.

It's seen by everyone who follows and loves the Fins -- for years. The ONLY PEOPLE who can't see this problem are the people being paid extremely high dollars to run the organization.

There is no way in heck that Miami should have the bottom rated OL for five years running -- wasting talent at QB and other places on the team, just like they did with the Marino years... all because someone can be paid high dollars, step in front of a microphone and say, "There's no problem here."

Right.

There's a vast problem. And the OL is just the canary in the coal mine. Any organization that can't evaluate 1st round talent (completely ignoring explosion and measurables year after year after year after year) and spends 3 -- read, freakin' THREE -- draft picks on an very low-talented WR that is -- excuse the non-politically correct word -- just dumb. And this at a position of relative luxury on the team! What if three of those picks had been used on three OL that were scouted by even knowledgable fans on this board, like Slim and CK? How much better off would the Fins be?

Or what if some of those burned picks had been used at LB -- instead of drafting first round players that take three and four years to develop, and this with mediocre talent, what about trading down and acquiring picks at positions of need and drafting for upside, and developing explosion and skill, instead of developing low-SPARQ players at explosive-valued positions?

It's bizarre and increbible.

Miami finally trades for and uses FA to get players that other teams scouted and proved, and somehow gets mediocre play on the OL. Everyone rejoices.

That lasts one game.

Now it's back to less-than-mediocre.

And RT on a surgically repaired leg because the FO simply doesn't care, doesn't value the OL, or CAN'T draft or develop talent?

How long does this Groundhog Day movie have to run?

LD

Back
Top Bottom