Are we done in FA? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we done in FA?

We don't have the draft assets or cap space to add another blue chip.
Just for reference, we added Jalen Ramsey for a third round pick, a third string tight end, and $2.9 million in 2023 cap space.

We still have second, third, sixth, and seventh round picks in 2023, and first, second, fifth, sixth, and seventh round picks in 2024. We will have about $15 million in cap room come June 1, and we could have even more if we extend Wilkins or Connor Williams before then.

Not saying we’ll definitely add another blue chip player, but we definitely can if we want to. Derrick Henry, as an example, would be a blue chip player who we could add very easily if we decided we wanted to do that.

I think there are plenty of models to employ to get him under contract if the desire is there.
I think we have used them all up on X, Hill and Ramsey, :cool:

Forgot Armstead.

Last edited:
And of course, here’s the devil himself always coming on here to defend himself. Get someone else to evaluate OL talent, Chrissy-poo.
Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

The cap space this year isn't the issue. Even with AVG, we have the Jones money coming and we can extend Wilkins for more space. But I'm with you, I don't think it happens. We also need to worry about next years cap space and Grier will want to roll some money over. Derrick Henry in theory sounds pretty great though...
the Jones money is why I said after the June cuts they could do something depending on how the draft turns out for us

last year at this point we had plenty of ca space to do it. Totally different now.....once AVG is in the books we'll have about 2mill of cap space.

Not saying something won’t happen but logic tells me that they're on the draft now as are most teams.......once we know who we got in the draft they might be happy as we are or they might want to do something else but for now, I believe we're done with anything big.
I think they can focus both on FA and draft simultaneously as they both work together. I'm hoping for Wagner. Aside from that, I'm good FA wise.

I remember reading somewhere that if Henry is traded, his new team only takes on about $10 million. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the Titans eat up even more of that cap and he comes even cheaper than that. They're rebuilding and may pay homage to a legend by letting him pick his new team and doing whatever they can so he can make a run at a Super Bowl.
Yes, that is a possible option. Remember us eating Tannehill's money to trade him to the Titans. This may be a pay back. Who knows?

I'm basing posts on what I see and know but any and everything is always subject to change in the NFL.

I will never put it beyond Chris Grier to make a splash move. Who knows what players become available after the draft and once teams get into camp and the unknowns outshine the vets.

I’d like to think we’ll add a RT before the draft. Definitely after.

He is guaranteed $16 M this year and then is a FA. You can only spread a bonus over the term of the contract and he will be 30. Can't see it.
Agree. Not a fan of giving any RB 16m in the first place.

Beyond that, I certainly don't want to extend a back at that age to a multi years deal, which is what you would have to do, and I really don't want to give away any more draft picks.

Agree. Not a fan of giving any RB 16m in the first place.

Beyond that, I certainly don't want to extend a back at that age to a multi years deal, which is what you would have to do, and I really don't want to give away any more draft picks.
Yeah. Every single one of those concerns and all it's friends become moot really fast when you're watching the opposing team's DC throw up on the sideline trying to figure out how to stop us for even one play.

If they're done, that means the o-line will be a problem again. I say this because Free Agent OL are better than the o-linemen that Grier drafts, so he needs to build the line through Free Agency. While some may say that Hunt is the exception, I'd trade him because he gets too many penalties which hurts the team. In 2022, Hunt was listed at #7 in number of OL penalties, and right behind him at #8 was Tunsil. BTW, for those who think that Tunsil was "elite", his presence on Miami's o-line, along with the other 1st Round OL picks they had, did nothing to help them become a top-ranked o-line; they were usually below-average. Armstead's presence on a poor o-line improved the line's overall performance, but Tunsil's presence didn't help his line at all. Shell and the undrafted Jones performed better than Grier's 1st and 2nd round picks Jackson and Eichenberg.

IOW, Grier sucks at drafting o-linemen. So, either they build the line with Free Agents, or they get someone else to draft o-linemen. Actually, they should have someone else get the Free Agents too, because Grier either overspends on a big-name (Armstead is good, but he's just a part-time player), or brings in guys who, while better than his draft picks, still suck. Players like Shell and Jones should never be your starters; they should only be back-ups. Yes, they started due to injuries, but the fact that they outperformed the starters is a bad sign. Other teams find decent linemen in the middle rounds and can field a competent o-line, but Miami can't even build an average line using multiple 1st Round picks!

Last edited:
Yeah. Every single one of those concerns and all it's friends become moot really fast when you're watching the opposing team's DC throw up on the sideline trying to figure out how to stop us for even one play.
Yeah, because Henry, in his prime, won all those Championships.

You, obviously, have faith that DH would still be hungry, willing and able to make a huge difference, rather than just play out the string for an unfamiliar team/surroundings. Having seen how that type of thing has worked out for this franchise before, I don't have that much confidence in him being that huge of a difference maker.

There is legitimacy to both lines of thought, though, and having a different opinion doesn't make others stupid as you purport. It isn't as "black or white" as you make it sound, and the "your was is the only way" attitude wears thin after a while.

I mean it's fine to have a firm opinion, which you have expressed (literally) a hundred times, and stand by those convictions, but there are no guarantees in this situation, as you keep stating there are.

If they're done, that means the o-line will be a problem again. I say this because Free Agent OL are better than the o-linemen that Grier drafts, so he needs to build the line through Free Agency. While some may say that Hunt is the exception, I'd trade him because he gets too many penalties which hurts the team. In 2022, Hunt was listed at #7 in number of OL penalties, and right behind him at #8 was Tunsil. BTW, for those who think that Tunsil was "elite", his presence on Miami's o-line, along with the other 1st Round OL picks they had, did nothing to help them become a top-ranked o-line; they were usually below-average. Armstead's presence on a poor o-line improved the line's overall performance, but Tunsil's presence didn't help his line at all. Shell and the undrafted Jones performed better than Grier's 1st and 2nd round picks Jackson and Eichenberg.

IOW, Grier sucks at drafting o-linemen. So, either they build the line with Free Agents, or they get someone else to draft o-linemen. Actually, they should have someone else get the Free Agents too, because Grier either overspends on a big-name (Armstead is good, but he's just a part-time player), or brings in guys who, while better than his draft picks, still suck. Players like Shell and Jones should never be your starters; they should only be back-ups. Yes, they started due to injuries, but the fact that they outperformed the starters is a bad sign. Other teams find decent linemen in the middle rounds and can field a competent o-line, but Miami can't even build an average line using multiple 1st Round picks!

Disagree to an extent. Penalties can be reduced with training. They aren't innate.
One part of the poor OL play, in addition to talent, is the musical chairs OL - new guys in/out/changing positions. Anyone who follows OL play knows familiarity with the guy on either side is important. Having poor to average blocking TEs didn't help.
Grier doesn't draft OLmen. I'll not beat that dead horse

Back
Top Bottom