Are We Going CB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are We Going CB?

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
I have been following the draft for a LONG time. I have always found that the newspapers offer the single best pieces of information in the fortnight or so before the draft. I used to do something for Colin at Great Blue North in a similar vein and, through a Buffalo journo, we had Magahee to the Bills the Tuesday before. Anyway, I saw this in the SS today. Could be nothing, but it's quite a stong sea-change. Remember, Nick will take BPA and Rolle has to be very close to that. Anyway, here's the thing:

"The Dolphins also have the No. 2 pick this week, and while most pundits have them taking a running back or quarterback, it wouldn't be a shock if the defensive-minded Saban traded down and plucked a cornerback.

Miami's Antrel Rolle and Carlos Rogers of Auburn are options, particularly if the anticipated trade of cornerback Patrick Surtain to the Chiefs goes through.

"People say when you draft a guy second, there's expectation that goes with that, but really what you want to do is make sure you're always drafting very good players," Saban said."

Food for thought for sure.

Well, that can't happen.

One, I'd probably lose my bet to Nabocane. Not good.

Two, I'm not sure what's wrong with our corners even without Surtain. Sam Madison will need replacement eventually, but it's not a pressing need, and in any event, I'm just not convinced that Rolle is among the seven best players in the draft.

Sorry - this thread is missing a "we".

P4E Note: Never a problem, Simon. I plugged it in.:)

I'm readying a doozy of a sig for you, Phil. :evil:

But IMO, what Boomer said is why my gut feeling is we trade out of 2 and take Rolle with 5 or 7. Why Rolle and not Rogers? Because Rolle has more value in terms of varsatility; he's a shut-down corner, new rules or no; he showed excellent return skills at UM, and was a RB in HS, so he has moves plus speed; and he is big enough - and a big enough hitter - to play Safety full-time if need be. He's got the potential to be a game-changer, and when you talk about value at the top of the draft, that's what you're talking about.

My gut feeling is that we will also move Surtain before or on draft day. In fact don't be surprised if he is dealt sometime after the beginning of the first round, when a team that needed a top corner misses and gives up the price for Surtain. That bolsters the argument for Rolle, since if you lose a top player at a position, and have a chance to pick up a top draftee at the same position, it just makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the board would collectively keel over if we did that, but lets face it if Surtain leaves we'd need someone to replace him in the short and long run. He certainly has shown a preference for DBs in his time. My personal thoughts, however, are that Saban should be able to get decent coverage in the DBs by finding diamonds in the rough, not diamonds at the top. Guys in the draft where we will be drafting them are very highly paid. How is that different from buying a good corner in free agency? The guys at the top of the draft start out highly paid and stay highly paid through their careers, that or they bust.

ckparrothead said:
I think the board would collectively keel over if we did that...

:lol: Yes, it would.

It'd be fun to watch. Bad for the mods, I'm sure, but fun to watch.

yeah...cannot see rolle happening for us in top 10..........

We could do alot worse than selecting the best DB from the U of M.

How many years have we all said - Man, I wish we could draft one of those guys.

I still hope we can trade back to 5 or 7 and get him Rd 1 then get Frye or Orton Rd 2

ckparrothead said:
I think the board would collectively keel over if we did that, but lets face it if Surtain leaves we'd need someone to replace him in the short and long run. He certainly has shown a preference for DBs in his time. My personal thoughts, however, are that Saban should be able to get decent coverage in the DBs by finding diamonds in the rough, not diamonds at the top. Guys in the draft where we will be drafting them are very highly paid. How is that different from buying a good corner in free agency? The guys at the top of the draft start out highly paid and stay highly paid through their careers, that or they bust.

I agree, mainly because the secondary is Saban's forte. You would think that Saban will find the guys that excel in his system that don't come with the big price tag or name recognition ala Belichick and his LB core. That's why I feel that Rolle is one guy who you can bet on that won't be in a phins uni in '05.:2c:

DOLFANMIKE said:
We could do alot worse thatn selecting the best DB from the U of M.

How many years have we all said - Man, I wish we could draft one of those guys.

I still hope we can trade back to 5 or 7 and get him Rd 1 then get Frye or Orton Rd 2

I say RB if we drop 5-7 and then yes, QB in Rds. 2/3.

Boomer said:
Sorry - this thread is missing a "we".

P4E Note: Never a problem, Simon. I plugged it in.:)

you're a good man.

BTW that whole story about how Saban and Belichick nearly got in a knock-down drag-out fight because Saban wanted Dale Carter and Belichick decided on "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell, does make me think Saban won't take Ronnie Brown.

I think it will be Braylon Edwards, a QB, or a defensive player, probably a corner.

Back
Top Bottom