are we going to have the money to sign big FA? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

are we going to have the money to sign big FA?

SR 7 said:
why can't we? same way you ugys told me there is no way and it isnt madden to sign 7-8 players this offseason (meaning last one) and we ended up signing what? 11? So plz, keep taht we can't do thsi and that junk to urselves.

So you really think we can sign the two biggest free agents out there? We're not the redskins man. Yea we signed 11 players last year, but how much did we really pay them? Shelton and Allen probably got the most and they weren't even that much. But ok you can believe that we will get Briggs and Clements. Just don't be mad when we don't get them. There are 31 other teams ya know.

yeah its no secret that they are the top FA. lol and i woulndt be suprised if thomas briggs clemnts or june go to the redskins. how the heck do they always have money to spend. Could someone explain that to me. i know that there is a salray cap, but is there such thing as "paying under the table" in the nfl. as in a rich owner giving extra money to FA's?

miami234ever said:
So you really think we can sign the two biggest free agents out there? We're not the redskins man. Yea we signed 11 players last year, but how much did we really pay them? Shelton and Allen probably got the most and they weren't even that much. But ok you can believe that we will get Briggs and Clements. Just don't be mad when we don't get them. There are 31 other teams ya know.

did you forget we pursued brees adn offered him 8.5 mill but he wanted 10 million and we pursued lavar with a 5.5 mill i think it was? he wanted more as well. considering that, i think we have a good chance. dont YOU?

SR 7 said:
did you forget we pursued brees adn offered him 8.5 mill but he wanted 10 million and we pursued lavar with a 5.5 mill i think it was? he wanted more as well. considering that, i think we have a good chance. dont YOU?

We weren't pursuing them at the same time though. And did you notice we didn't get either of them?

Remember guys the first two years Sabens hands were basically tied when it came to signing top notch free agents. The only reason were able to get a couple of okay free agents last year was because of the increase in salary cap thanks to the bargaing agrrement. This will be Saben's first year too go after the guys he really wants. Since we will be one of the teams thats in the best shape capwise, it is not unreasoonable to expect the Dolphins to sign a couple of top free agents. When it comes down to signing these guys the bottom line is which team can offer the most money. And this year I think Miami will be in great shape to do that.

We are $18M under the salary cap. Which sounds good, but 20 other teams have as much or more cap room, including the other 3 AFC East teams. Buffalo is something ridiculous, like $36M under. We will have a hard time signing away anyone from them. And we have a ton of free agents ourselves. Just to fill out our roster, we'll need to re-sign many of them. By the time we are done with that, we'll probably be less than $10M under. And that's probably not including bringing back Vonnie Holliday and David Bowens. I don't think we'll be big players in free agency.

Right now (1/02/07) I have the Dolphins $17.23 million under the cap with 42 players signed to the active roster and none of the big contracts restructured for the year.

With so many teams having so much cap room its more a matter of where the best UFAs want to play.

Right now (1/02/07) I have the Dolphins $17.23 million under the cap with 42 players signed to the active roster and none of the big contracts restructured for the year.

With so many teams having so much cap room its more a matter of where the best UFAs want to play.

and the way things are going maybe no one wants to come to miami like before.

I think it's time to start paying for these big time guys. Saban's cheapness came back and bit us in the *** this year and with him out the door, I hope the new guy ponies up the cash. No more basement bargaining.

clements would be a big big pickup, but i dont see saban paying him

That would be pretty hard for him to do that now.
Hopefully the new guy will be agressive in FA.

I think it's time to start paying for these big time guys. Saban's cheapness came back and bit us in the *** this year and with him out the door, I hope the new guy ponies up the cash. No more basement bargaining.
No way .As of now their is 18 million cap room with 42 players on the rosters.

Veteran minimum with no signing bonus is around 1million .With this cap space in theory their is no way to hire even players who want to play for a salary and 1/2 million signing bonus[these are bargain basement players past their prime]
their is no money to do anything .If you cut a contract the cap hit reduces but then you do have to hire someone for the spot so that is no win either. the only way is cut a alot players and get a alot of UFA and Rookies to play for 2 yrs and start rebuilding.

Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor already said they would restructure.

Chris Chambers and Randy McMichael's cap hits are in the form of very big bonuses.. and since they didn't do jack **** last year I say we cut one or make them both restructure.

Back
Top Bottom