Are We Making A Mistake? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are We Making A Mistake?

Richard could be a great HC one day, he may not. Flores could be a great HC, he may not.
When you dig into assistants and coordinators you take a 50/50 shot at best. Everybody wants that next McVay or that golden boy who brings success to a franchise. But most often than not franchises fail even with experienced HCs they hire.

For me it is important that the FO (GM) is completely in sync with the new HC. They have to think with one head, talk with one voice and from acquisition of new players to integrating them into the team has to be as flawless as possible. We might have that for the first time in a very long time. GM and HC will either succeed together or fail together.

What I like with Flores is that he is not shying away from hiring experienced coordinators. If the rumors are correct and Caldwell will head to the Phins that says a lot about Flores. He has no false ego but rather wants to assemble the best coaching staff possible. Caldwell has HC eperience on the college and NFL level. He may not have had the success in that capacity like some would like to see but a lot of coaches are better coordinators than HCs and his experience will be valuable for Flores.

For me it was important that Grier will get his chance. Check.
I wanted him to handpick his HC he will be working with. Check.

Now I sit back and enjoy the ride.

And, Brian Flores was not phased even a little bit with all the drama surrounding his new job, and he still got his team to the Super Bowl. That's worth a lot imo

Johnson admitted what most scouts and many on this board cannot, the draft is a crapshoot. These people that talk like they know DONT KNOW. He wanted to improve his chances by stacking up picks. One year we had 14 in a 7 round draft.

Don’t think for a second there is not a qb in this next draft that can be had that wouldn’t be great for us. There will be. The question is will we take him? Will anyone take him and give him a real chance?

Great post. Subjective evaluation could not be more fragile or suspended in time. There are some good analysts here but like almost every tape guy they are too full of themselves. Who the heck cares if a projection was correct, when it was a standalone and the next example starts from scratch? I like to hear or read about the process. The process is the key, whether it it subjective or mechanical. j-off-her-doll provides plenty of that. Likewise the Seahawks with the 32 inch arms at cornerback. I could check the Senior Bowl specs today and immediately have an idea who they will look at, and who they will immediately reject.

But if it is merely I liked this guy or I didn't like that guy then whippity dippity doo. Now you are back to zero, and dead square with the rest of us.

None of the online guys would be making the same choices or having the identical opinion if they were actually running a team. I never lose sight of that but seemingly they have no clue regarding the situational influence. Now you have guys talking in your ear all year long. Binders and videos. Access to interviews and tidbits you don't own as a solo. Mike Mayock is just getting a feel for that type of thing right now and I guarantee he is shocked at some of it.

I like the cheap methods to earn a few percent as opposed to sacrificing a few percent. Stay away from kids who redshirted, especially without an injury excuse. Stay away from lower rated high school recruits who were late bloomers in college. Instead, do exactly the opposite. Look for younger guys. Look for players who have been elite every step of the way but now are undervalued, for whatever reason. Many other examples. The analytics have caught and passed subjectivity at some positions.

Regarding quarterbacks the boom examples are typically high first round or someone who has been overlooked. That's why I frequently use the Storage Wars example of value at the extremes. Every time someone wants to draft a lineman early and a quarterback in the second round I want to cringe. That is the method to avoid. That is overpaying for crap.

No. Because all that matters is the QB, the coach matters little if you don't have an elite QB. Look at the playoffs year after year

No. Because all that matters is the QB, the coach matters little if you don't have an elite QB. Look at the playoffs year after year
We gonna get our new QB now brother. Bank that. I just hope and pray we get it right now.

If you leave even a hint of mold it will come back. We have not eradicated the problem. The stench of mediocrity still looms in the front office.

We need a five-star player out of this draft. Not a project. Not a fill in. A STUD. I really see us moving around in this draft. Perhaps we cut a deal. If they can pull some strings I will lay off .

I feel as though we’ve had weeks debating “if we made a mistake”, and the consensus is that nobody knows until it plays out

Why didn’t we just draft Brady, we are dumb.

You can’t keep second guessing, it’s exhausting.

Gase was here 3 years and I can’t tell you if he will be 12-4,4-12 or 8-8 in 3 years at the Jets... and he’s a known commodity

Let’s hope we just get more than a sideshow freak show this time.

The question is will we know a franchise QB when we see him or will we pass great QBs by like we've done in the past? I hope we are prioritizing QB now, AND next year. We can't keep doing it the old way. We hung on to Tannehill way too long, I know, I was fooled too! But, going forward we have to get our scouts to unearth the best QBs in the draft class regardless of what round Kiper projects. If you like a guy in round 1 and you have a conviction that this is your Wenz, Wilson, Mayfield etc. go up and get him but make 100% sure that you're right!! I know, that's tough to do. Quality starting QBs can be found later in the draft if we don't love any of the first rounders but keep drafting them until we find our gem.

I hope that I am wrong about Flores. But, willing to give him 3 years. If it doesn’t work out by then maybe Ross will sell the team and Grier will be fired.

Back
Top Bottom