Are we really that bad? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we really that bad?

The DL has holes, and some bigger one's are on the way unless some of these youngsters start emerging.....

The LB position is shallow. Beyond Zach / Crowder, we have basically no other playmakers at LB....

The secondary is coming along, but it's still not very good. It's actually improved some over the last season. Still, it's nothing to write home about, and we could use a shut down corner for sure....

The OL is weak as hell. I don't care what anyone says, or what stats you want to throw in my lap, this group couldn't protect / run block with any consistancy. It was our biggest weakness this year on offense, and we need some better players in there. The LT / LG / C positions are all in need of upgrades in my opinion....

QB is another unknown. Everyone is banking on Culpepper, but we don't know anything in terms of what he'll be able to do / not do once the season starts. We don't even know if the new head coach will want Culpepper as our starting QB. I'd say that the QB position is not only an unknown, but a weakness as well. Culpepper was absolutely horrible, so expecting any miracles at this stage is reaching in my opinion....

We've got problems, all of which can be fixed / solved through solid drafting....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

The media are clueless most of the time, but we are not a good football team.

I'm not basing that on our record either. We haven't had a good record for a little while now, but our real problem is we don't draft well or develope players well either.

Good teams get built through the draft. Our team is mostly built up of free agents and vets. We need to get younger players this year AND PLAY THEM.

we are not far off... we were decent QB play away from the playoffs this year i believe... a healthy good QB is the difference of 4 wins for us id think... how many games were we just real close but blew it... as long as we dont blow up the team we will be fine...

our oline as long as we dont totally dismantle it will continue to improve, and hopefully we wont have the bevy of injuries we had this season... a new Ocoordinator and a healthy daunte will turn the offense around no doubt about it...

our defense is still fine, everyone says our secondary sucks but it was a completely new unit of 4 new guys who never played with each other, add in it was most of those players first year in sabans complex *** schemes in the secondary, and the injuries we had all year back there, plus bell not being put in until week 6 or whatever, and our secondary still finished top 5 in passing yards allowed... yes we have to work on getting picks but that'll come with more comfort in the system...

we do need another linebacker, zach is still kicking and crowder is a fine player, but we need to replace spragen and we need some more depth... our dline has age, but we have young guys behind them ready to play... and JT, holliday, and carter are still playing on top of their game...

i dont see the major problems this team has, our biggest problems last year was QB play and offesive consistancy/play calling... and we already have the qb problem settled with a healthy daunte, and we'll have a new Ocoordinator (please!)...

this team is MUCH better just changing those 2 parts alone... add in a high draft pick and some flexibility with the cap... and we are not as bad as people make us out to be...

If this really is the case, why doesn't everyone else see it this way outside of us Dolfans?

We have a QB - he was injured. There was always a real chance he would not play this season at all, sure we got our hopes up but I for one haven't given up on Culpepper yet.

Glad to hear someone else say that...he was INJURED when we signed him and our genius of a coach decided to start him in God knows how many games...so what kind of outcome can be predicted by an injured man being forced to start over and over again....he's not going to magically heal himself! He just needs to rest over this off-season and I for one still have faith in him too. Only time will tell.

Glad to hear someone else say that...he was INJURED when we signed him and our genius of a coach decided to start him in God knows how many games...so what kind of outcome can be predicted by an injured man being forced to start over and over again....he's not going to magically heal himself! He just needs to rest over this off-season and I for one still have faith in him too. Only time will tell.

Pepper said he was ready to play.

Saban had a hard time benching him, remember?

Even if he is healed and plays just as good as he did when he made the probowl, that doesn't automatically make us a play-off team...

We have a QB - he was injured. There was always a real chance he would not play this season at all, sure we got our hopes up but I for one haven't given up on Culpepper yet.

Our 'old' D was fourth in the league and our league defensive MVP is back next year. There are clearly other problems - you would be deluded to deny it.

Yeah we are not an automatic play-off contender next year but it's fixable and I am not panicked. It makes good press to kick a team like Miami when they're going through a rough patch. Accept it, there are things about the phins that others don't like - the champagne toast is getting a bit old for one.

Kicking the Cards or the Lions would be like kicking a puppy - we're just a better target.

I agree with most of your post mate, the truth is that parity makes a one year turn around always possible.

Daunte returning to 100% and the stars aligning properly would be required, but its not as impossible as many on this board think.

I do disagree about the Champagne toast though, I'm guessing your not old enough to remember the 1972 season?, or I don't think you would feel the way you do.

Accomplishing something that has never been accomplished in 100 years of NFL history is something worth toasting every year as it continues to endure, its a celebration the players who accomplished it came up with and it is a tradition now, frankly, anyone who gripes about it is simply envious and bitter.

Even if he is healed and plays just as good as he did when he made the probowl, that doesn't automatically make us a play-off team...

I totally agree with that! I never said it would make us a play-off team...I think it's going to take a LOT more than that. It would definitely be nice to see him playing up to par however, and I still think he's capable of doing so. Gotta have faith! :)

I believe a healthy daunte with a chip on his shoulder is going to make this team competitive right off the bat,draft the speed and return abilities of tedd ginn jr who will completely open things up for ronnie,get a nice offensive lineman and either briggs or adalius in free agency and there you have a team that could make a run........ not counting what you could pick up in the draft in rounds 2 thru 7, plus with all our young guys from last year,toledo,evans,roderick wright,alibi,,,,, Tedd ginn is the key

I hate to say it, but I agree with the media. Quarterback is a major question mark, I don't think Daunte will ever be the player he once was. The O-line still is not very good. The talent at running back is there, it is just dependent on the strength of the o-line, which isn't very good. The receiving corp is average. The front seven on D is aging and the secondary is in shambles.

How can you possibly argue against the media? Saban should have blown the roster up and started over when he took over. Instead he added talented veterans to a relatively talentless roster just to beef up his record. Just look at what Jeff Fisher did in Tenessee. They made it to the super bowl, let go of the veterans they couldn't afford and re-built the roster with young talent. I don't care if we suffer through some 4-12 re-building years, just get young talent! We're stuck in football purgatory...

I would say that our roster is below average in terms of talent. The thought that we need to get rid of our older talented players in not correct though. The best rosters are comprised of a balance of young talent and veteran talent. Players such as K. Traylor, Wilkenson, J. James, L.J. Shelton & O. Mare should be let go of.

However players such as J. Taylor, Z. Thomas, M. Booker, V. Holliday & K. Carter still produce at a high level and should be retained. Now Holliday is a free agent & Carter (I believe) is in a year of his contract structured to force the phins to either resign him or let him go. The rest should be kept and those two should be brought back into the fold at reduced salary if possible.

The most important thing to establish is a culture of winning and a belief in our football team, not youth. Untill we have that we will perpetually lose.

I also believe more important than bringing in more youth to the team is fixing our salary cap problems. This is the key because when we actually identify our young key players we can lock them down. This is what the chargers do. This is what the eagles do. That is their secret to keeping their rosters young.

We're the worst team in the AFC East, and coachless to boot.....

Yeah, we're close alright....:lastyr:

When will the kool-aid drinking stop? This team / roster needs tons of improvement. With the guys we have right now, we're not even half way there. These "next year" dreamers around here just baffle me with their excuses, and I wish they'd come to terms with reality and understand how far away this team actually is.....

We won one lousy division game this year, ONE!!! Now you tell me how "close" we are. It's going to take a lot more than just a good head coach to turn this thing around....

PHINZ RULE!!!

It's never going to stop. Watching teams like the Saints doing it this year makes these guys crave the kool-aid even more. It gives them an excuse to cover their eyes.

This franchise is like that child that needs to be sent to boot camp to be turned into a man. The Kool-aid drinkers hug tight to this notion that we have great young talent on this team, which the play on the field and our record have surely indicated lol.

What really irks me is this "but what we have so much cap room now" jive. Do the kool-aid drinkers realize just how many teams heading into this offseason have double digit cap space? It's not like we're one of three teams allowing us greater competitive advantage.

The "win-now" mess has killed this franchise. We're unwilling to bite the bullet and phase out the old and influx new blood. The majority of the fanbase would rather torture itself with trying to stay competitive and dreams of being the next New Orleans Saints. Tell you what, as soon as the city of Miami gets flooded over by a hurricane and turned into Waterworld with Kevin Costner, you're not going to get that same kind of inspired play. Those guys are fueled by a desperate city and it's desperate populous who's only joy right now is watching the Saints march deep into the playoffs.

The definition of insanity has often been declared "doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results." That's all this team has done. There are only two irreplaceable players on this team - Zach and Jason. To argue otherwise would absolute lunacy. I don't give a hoot what your theory is on Daunte Culpepper because whatever it is is purely speculation rooted in your biasedness.

I've just had it with this team suffocating in it's own vomit. I hope one day we can get a guy in here who knows how to change course when things aren't working. When guys like Chris Chambers mega-buck reciever can only muster 1 decent season, it's time to tell him "take a pay cut" or take a hike. Our fanbase gets so enamored with players like these and in the end, all they do is let the fanbase down with their inconsistency. They get that feel-good feeling going with 233 yards recieving in a comeback win vs. Buffalo or they shut-out the overrated Bears 21-0 at Soldier Field. Then they follow it up with 2 receptions and 23 yards or allowing 30+ pts to Shady Acres Retirement Community MVP Brett Favre and that spectacular Packers team.

............ I'm frustrated. You should all be too. Drop your blind allegiance to players on this squad who simply won't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom