Are we ruining our future with potential players? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we ruining our future with potential players?

One thing I LOVED about Baker was there were rumors other QBs in the draft said they would not play in Cleveland. He came out and straight up said "Draft me #1. I want to be your QB." That is the leadership and mentality you want in a guy. If Tua pulls some sh*t like that then we do not want him here anyway. What kind of leader would he be in a game when things go south?

One thing I LOVED about Baker was there were rumors other QBs in the draft said they would not play in Cleveland. He came out and straight up said "Draft me #1. I want to be your QB." That is the leadership and mentality you want in a guy. If Tua pulls some sh*t like that then we do not want him here anyway. What kind of leader would he be in a game when things go south?

Yup. I would have loved to get Baker here.

Great point.

Will people avoid Miami because of what we are doing right now? I seriously think the rest of the world (even the beat writers who are bashing us right now) know exactly what we are doing and that this is a sped up rebuild process in an attempt to reboot the team. When that happens feelings get hurt left and right, but it's all part of a larger plan. This team has had NO plan in years past, and many other franchises are stuck in limbo or on the downswing. I think we will be fine, and if anything rookies will see that they are getting in on the ground floor of something they will have a part in actively improving. I happen to know many young people who prefer to work at startups because they know they will have more of a voice than at working at something more established.

Tua? He is his own situation. I won't pretend to know him or his family enough to speculate whether the Alabama ties are strong enough that they will encourage him to avoid Miami. Saban and Minkah do NOT help things, but ultimately it's his decision whether he is comfortable spending his career in Miami. There are obvious pros and cons. What he decides to do is a soap opera I am already dreading.

Who was the last quarterback that held out for a significant period of time after being drafted? JeMarcus Russell I think. Otherwise, the way things work right now is that there is all the incentive to get to the NFL as soon as you can, unless you really feel that you need more time to develop your game in college.

And even if Tua doesn’t like what Grier is doing and thinks he doesn’t want to be a part of it, it’s just as likely he’s going to be picked by some tanking team next year.
He's likely going to a bad team, regardless of how he feels.

Personally, if what I'm hearing about his family is true, I'll taje a hars pass.

I don't want a guy that needs to be drafted by a winner. I want the guy who feels he can make the franchise a winner.

It's a simple solution if he prefers not to play here. Trade out of the pick. There is zero point in selecting soneone that doesn't want to be here.

We've jettisoned recent first round picks and other contributing players. We already saw this effect with coaches turning us down due to poorly ran organization. Will we have trouble landing FA and securing draft picks? Will Tua say he doesn't want to play here?

obvious NO. Grier has a plan, and when elite FA´s see the kind of young talent miami will get in 2020 will have no problem coming here. this season means nothing for the future miami is stockpiling picks and money.

No. Smart idea because these prospects would want top dollar when we finally get competitive.

No matter how you flip the situation, in the end it all comes down to one thing. Money.
Then some people would say something about "No this guy will not go to us, he want's to be a part of a winning franchise and yada yada yada" That might be true for some players, but for the majority not.

Plus it's Miami! Who will not enjoy the hot weather and that tax thing u guys have going on?! :)

I don't see any problems at all. I didn't thought Odell would end up in f***** Cleveland back then, i guess many others didn't. (i know he got traded btw before someone comment on that thing) Just to prove a point that a big FA can go to anywhere if money is right. Bad example when i think about it...

Last edited:
We've ruined any players wanting to come here this season but next season absolutely not, This is Miami not Cleveland ohio not to mention these professional athletes are out playing for Money and thats the bottom line.. Anyone thinking a Superbowl is the sole factor is kidding themselves..

I mean if someone offered you 15 million dollars to live in Cleveland or 1 million to live in miami where would you all go? These guys are human too
With all the stories coming out about players complaining about this process, or saying about there safety, and bitchin' about who has been traded or let go, I feel makes the decision of the front office as who to let go, and who to keep an eye on for the future a bit easier. Hell, talent is very important...but if these guys can't see and understand what is going on it's sad on their part. Bust your ass, ball out and your job. You might get picked up by another team next year. Look disinterested, lazy, run sloppy routes, etc., will raise a lot of eyebrows of talent evaluators. Everyone in the league knows what's going on. The media exaggerates it for clicks.
To not do your job and risk your future by being looked at as a malcontent, that's on you. Stop whining and be part of the solution.

I think Rosen was the only QB who had any issues with going to Cleveland. Seemed like a really smart move if you ask me as Baker's career has gone backward and Rosen's had been meteoric. Could you imagine Darnold or Rosen being stuck in that Cleveland situation instead of where they are at now...poor Baker.

We've jettisoned recent first round picks and other contributing players. We already saw this effect with coaches turning us down due to poorly ran organization. Will we have trouble landing FA and securing draft picks? Will Tua say he doesn't want to play here?

Nah, I don’t think so. This is a very deep free agency class at many positions, and we have tons of cap space and draft picks to turn this thing around quickly. The first overall pick always goes to a crappy team. And, don’t forget this, Florida has no state tax, and Miami is an absolutely awesome place to live. If Tua declares for the draft he will probably be the number one overall pick, and I would bet that he will come here if it is us who is lucky enough to pick him.

I think Rosen was the only QB who had any issues with going to Cleveland. Seemed like a really smart move if you ask me as Baker's career has gone backward and Rosen's had been meteoric. Could you imagine Darnold or Rosen being stuck in that Cleveland situation instead of where they are at now...poor Baker.

Baker better start playing better. Leaving a lot of things on the field this year

I definitely think there’s a saban influence in all this and we probably didn’t do ourselves any favors with the move we made earlier this week with one of his all time favorites to coach. A kid he waxed poetic about pre draft.

Back
Top Bottom