Are we sleeping on Drew Mormino??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we sleeping on Drew Mormino???

WISfinfan13

Enter at your own risk...
Reaction score
I know the new regime came in and looks like they are dedicated to starting fresh, but I was really excited about Drew last season before he got injured. I know he was practicing with the starting line at times and I remember hearing he looked better than Hadnot at times. In my opinion he makes the roster as a backup center for sure. But what are the chances he starts at guard next season?? Opinions???

"But what are the chances he starts at guard next season?? Opinions???"
-- 70-30. I thought Tala Esera got a raw deal last season because he was undrafted and inexperienced. Now we've got 4 inexperienced guys competing, and the favorite, Mormino wasn't drafted by this regime.

Mormino looked great last pre-season, however his conditioning was poor. He tired at the end of each quarter. We have a new conditioning coach this year, so hopefully this problem goes away.
Then again, we could always resign 6'7" Lekkerkerker or Chris Liewinski.

Mormino looked horrible in the preseason getting bullrushed constantly and being way too slow to pick up blitzers.. He looked small, slow, and weak- a terrible combination.

I think it was CK or Boomer who had the videotape breakdown of that and Mormino graded out the worst O-lineman BY far when he dissected the O-line play-by-play.. And our line stunk last year as a whole, and he was the worst one.. Don't get your hopes up on this guy, he really looked bad out there.. I;m not saying he can't improve, but he looked downright awful

From what I understand about Drew he has really been bulking up this offseason. Reports have him adding an additional 20lbs to his frame. Which is good to hear because he was a little undersized for a guard. His strength is versatility. He can play Center or either Guard position. Satele has the Center position locked down and Justin Smiley will of course be starting at one of the guard positions, most recent reports have him at left. He could compete to start at RG with our newly drafted rookie Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas. However the big concern regarding Mormino is durability issues. Hopefully with the new conditioning programs in place in Miami that wont become an issue. I completely expect him to make the roster as a backup G/C hybrid and possibly challenge for the starting RG position in training camp, however I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone soon as this new regime seems more intent on putting their own players in place.

Thanks for the info.

Mormino looked horrible in the preseason getting bullrushed constantly and being way too slow to pick up blitzers.. He looked small, slow, and weak- a terrible combination.

I think it was CK or Boomer who had the videotape breakdown of that and Mormino graded out the worst O-lineman BY far when he dissected the O-line play-by-play.. And our line stunk last year as a whole, and he was the worst one.. Don't get your hopes up on this guy, he really looked bad out there.. I;m not saying he can't improve, but he looked downright awful

I guess I missed this analysis!! Everything I read and saw out of Mormino I thought he looked ok for a rook. But I think CK and Boom would know better than I. But if he truely is as awful as you say, who is going to be our back up center???

Mormino had a soft body. Let's see how he does with a full season/offseason of weight training under his sizable belt. I like the kid. He understands how to play the game and seems like one of those kids that will play better than he tests.

He wasn't big enough last season, and he definitely needs more muscle, but he has the right mentality. Still, I think Murphy has a good shot at starting next season becasue he's bigger, stronger, quicker, and seems to be a quick learner and probably a better player in the short run. In the long run they all probably have a chance.

yeah it all depends how he comes into camp, if he bulked up and really worked out hard, he'll have a good shot of winning that other guard spot...

Our personal lives are none of your business, thank you very much.

"But what are the chances he starts at guard next season?? Opinions???"
-- 70-30. I thought Tala Esera got a raw deal last season because he was undrafted and inexperienced. Now we've got 4 inexperienced guys competing, and the favorite, Mormino wasn't drafted by this regime.

Mormino looked great last pre-season, however his conditioning was poor. He tired at the end of each quarter. We have a new conditioning coach this year, so hopefully this problem goes away.
Then again, we could always resign 6'7" Lekkerkerker or Chris Liewinski.

If a new regime judges a guy on the fact that THEY didn't draft him, then they are incompetent. When building a team you MUST be open minded and look at EVERY player objectively.
For what it's worth I don't buy into the point of view that coaches only consider their draftees, "their guys". At least not the good ones.

That's the first I hear of this. All last preseason all we heard were positive reports on his progress in camp and in preseason games (until he got hurt).

it has been said that smiley is primarily a right guard. it has also been said that, if necessary, he would take snaps at left guard because murphy is primarily a right guard. if mormino can play left guard, allowing us to leave smiley at right guard (his preferred position), that works to his benefit and the team's benefit. he would be competing with rookies and undrafted free agents. remember, joe staley, who was taken in the first round by the 49'ers last year is on record as saying that mormino was the best offensive lineman central michigan had.

That's the first I hear of this. All last preseason all we heard were positive reports on his progress in camp

Look who he looked decent against in camp though.. Against Matt Roth and Paul Soliai and the worst D-line in the league last year... . Enough said.

When he actually played in preseason against other teams Mormino was horrible.

Back
Top Bottom