Armando giving his strategy for finding a RT in draft (always optimistic - sarcasm) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando giving his strategy for finding a RT in draft (always optimistic - sarcasm)

Rhoadsy13

Starter
Reaction score
What bothers me so much about this article is he makes sound like trading down is so easy but then he contradicts himself by saying if we don't pick a RT at 19 then most likely all of the 2nd tier RT will be gone by pick 50. So basically he provides no value but leaves himself open to CRTICIZE Philbin/Hickey as ALWAYS.

The Dolphins can lie to themselves and anyone who wants to listen by saying there are more than just four first-round tackles available in the top 19 picks.

The Dolphins can decide Bitonio or James is a first-round right tackle worth the No. 19 overall selection. They can decide that after much tape study and multiple interviews and all the “cumulative work” the entire organization has done, either Bitonio or James get a first-round “Dolphins grade.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/02/4094454/armando-salguero-trading-down.html#storylink=cpy

I don't usually click on Mando links. (& NEVER Omar links)

It's a practice I encourage in others as well.

Bill Polian said:
“The job of the draft is to find football players, not get value from the pick. Get football players that help the team. They need offensive linemen.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/02/4094454/armando-salguero-trading-down.html#storylink=cpy

Right now, with the situation we are in, I agree with this. In the short term we may be lambasted by the media talking heads (and probably Salguero) over reaching for a player, but if we did our homework and the player turns out to be really good then, in the long run, it will be forgotten .

There's absolutely no guarantee the O line will require only one year to be fixed. So I'm willing to let Hickey do his thing and draft where he wants. If he feels there are a lot of RT starter options in the first three rounds and he is fine with picking a guy anywhere along that line, then fine. Because we have lots of areas to upgrade.

I remember when the whole Jake Long discussion went on in the Dophinsverse. Some people felt, don't get all crazy over the best rated guy at LT, there are other guys who can do the job. And yes, there was Clady, Albert, Baker, etc. What if we had traded down, and ended up with something like Clady and Flacco, instead of Long and Henne?

We have our LT set in stone now. I want a very good player at RT, someone who can run block and handle the ZBS. Where that player is, either in the first, second or third round, I don't care.

What I will care about, is if we still have no YAC out of our receivers and TE's, and Miller/Moreno can't find holes. That's what will make me furious. We know that building the O line is key, let's let Hickey do it his way.

I personally don't see what is wrong with this article. I totally agree. And to the OP he doesn't say that it will be easy to trade back, rather just the opposite, he said he would do whatever he had to do to talk one of the teams with 2 3rd rd picks to make a trade. This implies it will harder rather than easier to make a trade down.

Some times I think fans would do better to read an article and make an opinion of the article BEFORE they knew who wrote it. Don't make an opinion of an article BEFORE you read it, based entirely on who wrote it.

As for the "he opens Philbin/Hickey up to criticism", come on, they have accepted a postion where they are getting paid to do just that. No coach/GM in the league is above getting criticized for the moves they make in the draft.

I tired of hearing all the panic about the line and people looking at the draft like it's an magical fix. First thing wrong with the article is "Even with four sure-fire offensive tackles set to be selected in the first round of Thursday’s NFL Draft" is assuming an he is playing with other peoples money with that assumption. What does he define as "Sure Fire", if he means it as in all pro or future top ten guys at the position he is on crack, when has one draft ever had four top ten OLine guys in the top 18 picks? I doubt it has ever happened, maybe three but not four. So considering that is a first round pick a good investment for a middle of the road right tackle...who could possible take a couple years to reach that level...is a second round pick a good investment? Considering the coaching staff is on borrowed time right now I personally don't expect to see a project lineman early (first three rounds). I do think we are in danger of them selecting one just to cover them in the media as addressing the "need", the article eludes to this as it's "lie" reasoning, which I agree could happen.

Everyone forgets that Dallas Thomas was injured last year and at this point isn't he at least as good an option at right tackle as anyone else we can pick up at 19+? Sure if one of the top four guys drop we take one, I'm okay with that. But if they don't just go about the draft addressing all the other needs and don't bother chasing average lineman when this draft will also have four to five WR's/TE's that could be game changers.

Get a playmaker... Somebody who is going to come in, compete, win a spot and make a contribution to winning games. Please find players who are sceme fits...ZB olineman , red zone threat, 3 down linebacker, a ball hawk in the secondary.... Find on stud in the 1st 100 picks and 2 other guys that can play with the other 2 .....who gives a **** what number they are......find football players that make us better coach up and lets go....

Another link I have no interest in clicking on. Next time hide the fact that it's Salguero's article and he may get lucky and have me click on it without knowing it's him.

They can reach or trade down. Smarter to trade down or draft another position that will make plays.

Mando didn't say anything we don't already know. I hope we don't reach for a RT at 19. We should get a playmaker unless a top lineman falls to us. Trading down it's what I'd like to see as we need all the help we can get. Say what you want but we need a playmaking WR or a playmaking TE or both just as much as we need oline help.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom