Armando: players take on Tua | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: players take on Tua

IBut the good news is that I think Tua was not at peak health at all this year. Next year though, he should be able to torque his hips more and bring maximum power from his base through his hips and arms to throw with better velocity. He's never going to be a big guy, elite runner, or big-time arm talent, but if he can up his velocity a bit, Tua can be an accurate guy. Next year we'll see just how good Tua can become.
That's the key variable. Tua lost mustard this year. Even when I went back and watched the Arizona game it seemed considerably less impressive than first glance, due to that aspect alone.

He needs an offseason program geared to that aspect, along with overall strength

You’re not wrong. Fitz is the perfect late game guy you bring in when you’re down and need a risk taker. But as you pointed out, the “highlights” work both ways. Those costly INTs define his career.

I’m guessing not too many teammates back in the day were glowing about Brady and Brees and their “elite physical traits” either. Look, with an off-season of training he’ll be better physically and he’s going to improve. His arm looked plenty fine to me on that deep call he put right in Grant’s hands that should’ve gone for a 91 yard TD that you know...he dropped.

It’s funny watching the playoffs and the top QBs and how few of their passes are related to having a great arm. It’s timing, ball placement and reads. Any supreme zip is a bonus. Neither Brady nor Brees have it and they’re playing over 40.
When you watch Mahomes highlights, youre not seeing that many 'rockets' or balls 'gunned' in there. Youre seeing the perfect amount of arc and touch and often from strange body-positons.
Also, that bomb that Grant dropped was thrown as well as any pass Danny ever tossed.

I strongly feel a big part of what made Tua seem unimpressive is how few longer throws he made, so that all his misses seemed amplified in importance. Every incompletion he had was a drive killer because of how seldom he even threw over 10 yards in the air. That's 90% on both Gailey and the Phins lack of weapons once PW and Parker were out of the lineup.

Another thing: I truly believe Tua should get some credit for even making 'Alabama Open' a thing, because he hit his guys in perfect stride so often that theyd be pulling away from the defender to run under the perfectly-placed passes.

Sure sounds like you’re the one looking at a rookie players rookie season for confirmation bias that you didn’t like a guy.

Regarding giving players opinions much credit, here’s a couple pieces of evidence on why you might want to hesitate that to fulfill your bias:

Tyreek Hill on Pat Mahomes as a rookie

View attachment 62595

Von Miller on Drew Lock being a “superstar” because of what he saw in practice

View attachment 62596
For the record, I supported drafting Tua over Herbert at 5 when people here were saying we all had to ante up our firstborn and a pint of blood and move up to make sure we get him. I was supportive of him early (check the early game day posts)...then the dreaded pattern of behavior set in and only left him twice out of how many games. He can't piss on my head and have a supporter tell me it's raining. I still support him...his leash is just microscopic with me, whereas his supporters are saying what leash?

I did not want him to play this season because I wanted him to follow the same path as Mahomes.

As far as Tyreke Hill...I don't really buy into testimonials after the fact. I really don't buy into testimonials that don't come from our players toward their QB. You mean to tell me that NOBODY on the team thinks the kid has it? Doesn't have to be an offensive player like Hill. It could be a defensive player like Miller. Did anyone ask Howard what he thought about Tua in practice?

That's the key variable. Tua lost mustard this year. Even when I went back and watched the Arizona game it seemed considerably less impressive than first glance, due to that aspect alone.

He needs an offseason program geared to that aspect, along with overall strength
Yep, and when I said that all year long people trashed me for doubting Tua. Now that the season is over I think people have begun to realize it was true and I was being supportive of Tua. When his velocity returns he's still not going to be a strong-armed QB--he will still be in the bottom half (probably bottom-third) of the NFL in terms of velocity. But, when his pop returns, he stands a better chance of throwing those intermediate throws over the middle that he couldn't really throw this year.

I gotta be honest any of y'all pretending there were no concerns about Tua heading in to the off season were kinda fooling yourselves. We all wished he had looked more promising and maybe he will but there were some glaring holes in his game this year.
Yah lol like that hip injury no one noticed the lack of snaps with the starters

Losing all the starting skill players throughout the year - the year of jags no one noticed - the lack of chemistry

Tua wasn't the reason we lost to Buffalo dude.
We actually had a chance to come back in that game after Buffalo pulled its starters. We were still very much in the game and Tua couldn't move the ball against the second string defense. Not blaming it all on him but he definitely played a big part in that loss

Yah lol like that hip injury no one noticed the lack of snaps with the starters

Losing all the starting skill players throughout he year the year of jags no one noticed - the lack of chemistry
Fair enough but then why throw him in there if he wasn't ready?

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article248464745.html

I wanted Tua over Herbert, to be clear. But, I'm also worried about what he showed us, or the lack thereof. I don't know what I would do, but I'll defer to Coach Flo. I trust that guy. And I did see flashes from Tua.

On one hand, its interesting to get that perspective. On the other, this crap leaking out doesn't do the team any favors. Bit tired of Armando's whining lately.

Does a few non-source quotes change anything? I would need to know more, but it concerns be a bit.

We actually had a chance to come back in that game after Buffalo pulled its starters. We were still very much in the game and Tua couldn't move the ball against the second string defense. Not blaming it all on him but he definitely played a big part in that loss
Dude.. really. You talking about the part where Parker falls on his arse and Tua throws to the place he should have been ? Or the part where the D can't stop a single drive with said back ups ? Or the part where the scrub wideouts drop 9 balls thrown into their hands ?

Tua could have played like Mahomes for that game and we weren't winning it.

Last edited:

for sure true, Buffalo was barely covering during the second half.
defense was strong in the first quarter interecepted Allen in the first series and Tua couldnt move the team and we settled for a FG. The rest of the half was mostly 3 and outs.. we may have pulled the game if Fitz had started.
Like the unnamed D player said, you cant have the defense bail you out forever you have to step up when playing with the big boys.

Tua wasn't the reason we lost to Buffalo dude.

I don't think you're getting my point, dude. It's that the team feels like they stood a better chance with Fitz through the back half of the season. Anyone with a brain can tell you Tua isn't the only reason we lost to Buffalo BUT no one can definitively say Fitz wouldn't have had a magical moment and not thrown 3 picks. That glimmer of hope and what could have been, is where the frustration stems from.

I'm a Fan of Tua and want to see the team build around him and think playing Tua in that game was the right move.

But unlike us fans or even front office, players don't give a **** about Tua not having as good of a grasp on the playbook due to his lack of time/experience in the office. It's not at the same level as Doug Pederson putting Nate Sudfield in over Hurts but there is a level of similarity to it.

Dude.. really. You talking about the part where Parker falls on his arse and Tua throws to the place he should have been ? Or the part where the D can't stop a single drive with said back ups ? Or the part where the scrub wideouts drop 9 balls thrown into their hands ?

Tua could have played like Mahones for that game and we weren't winning it.
Ok so none of it's on Tua I see lol

FWIW I support another year of Tua if that's what the team decides. Definitely have my doubts though and was hoping to see more from him if the team thought he was ready

Ok so none of it's on Tua I see lol

FWIW I support another year of Tua if that's what the team decides. Definitely have my doubts though and was hoping to see more from him if the team thought he was ready

When did I say that? It was a full team failure, not down to one man, and not salvageable by one man as you stated !

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article248464745.html

I wanted Tua over Herbert, to be clear. But, I'm also worried about what he showed us, or the lack thereof. I don't know what I would do, but I'll defer to Coach Flo. I trust that guy. And I did see flashes from Tua.

On one hand, its interesting to get that perspective. On the other, this crap leaking out doesn't do the team any favors. Bit tired of Armando's whining lately.

Does a few non-source quotes change anything? I would need to know more, but it concerns be a bit.
The Fins took a huge risk drafting Tua. As previously stated he was on a team at Alabama with a top three O line, 3 NFL starting wide receivers and 2 very good backs. Compound that with a hip injury and his size really adds up to no way he should have been a top twenty pic. Unless you have a crystal ball there’s no way you assume he is going to be an elite talent. There were better options even if not at the QB position.

Back
Top Bottom