Armando: players take on Tua | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: players take on Tua

runstuffr

Active Roster
Reaction score
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article248464745.html

I wanted Tua over Herbert, to be clear. But, I'm also worried about what he showed us, or the lack thereof. I don't know what I would do, but I'll defer to Coach Flo. I trust that guy. And I did see flashes from Tua.

On one hand, its interesting to get that perspective. On the other, this crap leaking out doesn't do the team any favors. Bit tired of Armando's whining lately.

Does a few non-source quotes change anything? I would need to know more, but it concerns be a bit.

I wanted Herbert over Tua, but I'm not giving up on Tua. He never was a prospect with great phsyical traits. He was always a good decision maker and accurate passer, but also a small guy without elite run skills, without a strong arm, and without a lot of confidence in his durability. At Alabama, those WR's are dominant, and the OL is dominant, and they always have a good RB, and the defense shuts people down. So, throwing from a messy pocket like QB's are required to do in the NFL is hard, and hitting guys in "NFL open" windows (1 foot) is a lot harder than hitting guys in an "Alabama open" window (10 yards). Tua can do it, but it will take some adjusting. Also, many of those NFL windows are based on timing, so the QB needs to throw with anticipation, whereas at Alabama, you just wait until your WR runs clear by his man and throw to him after he's wide open. Tua needs to learn the timing skills and how to throw guys open. He needs to work on his velocity because he can't throw those intermediate throws over the middle too slowly because NFL DB's react FAST.

It's a learning curve. But the good news is that I think Tua was not at peak health at all this year. Next year though, he should be able to torque his hips more and bring maximum power from his base through his hips and arms to throw with better velocity. He's never going to be a big guy, elite runner, or big-time arm talent, but if he can up his velocity a bit, Tua can be an accurate guy. Next year we'll see just how good Tua can become.

The article doesn’t pull up for me. Can someone summarize?

Gutless, bush league nonsense. If any of the players really feel this way, and it’s not Armando or other media types making $#!t up, then put your freaking name behind it!

Don’t hide behind “coach doesn’t want us to say anything crap” because if that’s the case — DON’T SAY ANYTHING! Sounds like these supposed players can’t follow simple instructions. And are gutless cowards hiding behind anonymity.

Anybody still clinging to this “Fitz is better” nonsense surely chooses to ignore a 15 season sample size of good and — mostly — bad. How convenient.

And let’s not also forget that no team Fitz has started for has EVER qualified for the postseason. Including this current Dolphins team. If MIA manages to qualify next season, I‘m fairly confident Fitz won’t be part of that team.

If we’re only judging from current season — then the pro-Fitz is better crowd also chooses to forget how awful he was against NE (a team Tua later helped defeat) or against Seattle (settling for countless FG’s) or the braindead throw against DEN to end that comeback.

In summary, no NFL team has ever been better with Fitzpatrick behind center for an entire season or most of it. This isn’t opinion. It’s backed by factual data. 17 games under .500 as a starter, no playoff appearances, and 8 teams in 16 seasons.

The guy being fiery and managing to have a hot hand for a handful of games doesn’t make him better. It’s the majority of games in a season when he doesn’t have the hot hand that kills everything.

Why some people can’t seem to recognize this despite the overwhelming evidence is baffling.

Even in 2020 — where Fitz supposedly played out of his mind — it‘s curious to note that Tua‘s record as a starter was better (despite how awful he supposedly was). And 3 of the 4 wins MIA mustered under Fitz were against JAX and NYJ. But, yeah sure, Fitz is better.

Unbelievable.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with Tua. Truly not worried about our QB situation. Tua is a very talented player. No reason to give up on the best qb we've had since Marino, after a winning season.. I did want Tua over Herbert, whom which I'm still not sold on. Once Tua's playbook has third level deep routes, we will see the "unlocked" Tua.

Armando and Omar Kelly are the only two people I've never liked as our beat writers. Their ridiculously full of themselves and sadistic. Dolphins need to refresh that sector of the organization.

CJ

Name names or fu@k off with the ghosting bullshit. Put your money where your mouth is or piss off.
No different to saying "unnamed reporters not happy with a colleague they are lowering the standard of our media position, we will never be good if they keep writing".
Whats the f'ing difference?
Gutter journalism.
MEH.

Considering most of the offensive players will be gone next year due to lack of talent, who cares. Just Armando fanning the flames for his clicks. Guys gotta put food on the table.
I agree. I have no idea if Tua is the long term answer for the Dolphins at the QB position but I do know that he was surrounded by a bunch of players on offense that belonged on the practice squad at best. So until he actually has some starting quality NFL talent around him at the skill positions, it is really hard to judge his chances of being a long term success in the NFL.

Gutless, bush league nonsense. If any of the players really feel this way, and it’s not Armando or other media types making $#!t up, then put your freaking name behind it!

Don’t hide behind “coach doesn’t want us to say anything crap” because if that’s the case — DON’T SAY ANYTHING! Sounds like these supposed players can’t follow simple instructions. And are gutless cowards hiding behind anonymity.

Anybody still clinging to this “Fitz is better” nonsense surely chooses to ignore a 15 season sample size of good and — mostly — bad. How convenient.

And let’s not also forget that no team Fitz has started for has EVER qualified for the postseason. Including this current Dolphins team. If MIA manages to qualify next season, I‘m fairly confident Fitz won’t be part of that team.

If we’re only judging from current season — then the pro-Fitz is better crowd also chooses to forget how awful he was against NE (a team Tua later helped defeat) or against Seattle (settling for countless FG’s) or the braindead throw against DEN to end that comeback.

In summary, no NFL team has ever been better with Fitzpatrick behind center for an entire season or most of it. This isn’t opinion. It’s backed by factual data. 17 games under .500 as a starter, no playoff appearances, and 8 teams in 16 seasons.

The guy being fiery and managing to have a hot hand for a handful of games doesn’t make him better. It’s the majority of games in a season when he doesn’t have the hot hand that kills everything.

Why some people can’t seem to recognize this despite the overwhelming evidence is baffling.

Even in 2020 — where Fitz supposedly played out of his mind — it‘s curious to note that Tua‘s record as a starter was better (despite how awful he supposedly was). And 3 of the 4 wins MIA mustered under Fitz were against JAX and NYJ. But, yeah sure, Fitz is better.

Unbelievable.
Were you impressed with Tua? I wasn't. The people I watch games with on Sunday weren't. It makes sense that players weren't either.

Good news is he has a chance to prove us all wrong. As of week 17, he just wasn't good. Like, at all.

I've spoken to several Miami Herald employees (who may or may not be leaving imminently), who all have concerns regarding Salgueros performance during the recent seasons. They didn't want to be named, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is that my unnamed sources remain hopeful that he improves after what was described as 'junior school writing,' and 'pure bullshit made up for headlines.'

Man, journalism is easy.

Were you impressed with Tua? I wasn't. The people I watch games with on Sunday weren't. It makes sense that players weren't either.

Good news is he has a chance to prove us all wrong. As of week 17, he just wasn't good. Like, at all.

He had ups and downs, Arizona was a pretty damn good performance.

Back
Top Bottom