Armando: players take on Tua | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: players take on Tua

One of my best friends was in the league for about 7 years across multiple teams, we always chat about the Dolphins games while we're out on the golf course. From the point, Fitzpatrick was replaced he thought it was going to be a way bigger issue in the locker room than people on the outside would think. By the end of the season, when the playoffs were on the line he told me he would personally be furious with the decision to keep playing Tua over Fitz and was certain that would cause a ton of frustration by the players.

It's always great to hear his POV on these things. It made me think this player may be feeling some sort of way about Tua potentially costing him a Playoff check or contract incentive.
Well it's a good thing players don't run a team. Players only care about the short term, as they should. That's their job and that's why a team could never truly "tank". The players would never go along with it, but I really don't care what a player thinks or feels when it comes to building a team for a sustained period of time.

Tua doesn’t have a rocket arm but neither did Peyton Manning. Some players are just a step ahead. If we get Tua some weapons and an offensive system designed around his strengths he will be a pro bowler IMO. But the jury is still out on him so armandos “anonymous sources” are not saying anything that is a surprise.

I mean, Tua's rookie season was what you see from most rookie QBs, up and down, some good and some bad.

Was it what people expected? Probably not, but that's mostly because Tua was a big star in college and that immediately added some really high (and unrealistic) expectations to his NFL career, not just from local fans but also from the national media.

I personally think our main issue this year was starting a rookie QB while also trying to make the playoffs. That was a risky move because at some point you end up sacrificing his natural progression/development in order to win games.

Add in the fact that he didn't even start from day 1, he was plugged in midseason with NO preseason action, a glaringly obvious lack of chemistry with his receivers, and an OC that clearly preferred calling plays for the guy that he replaced. (Oh, and the receivers he was just starting to develop chemistry with? They all got injured when games started mattering the most. All of them.)

Nothing about the QB switch made sense, imo, unless the goal was to give Tua experience now in order to get him prepared for 2021. And that would've been perfectly logical, except for the fact that we were trying to make the playoffs each and every week, so allowing Tua to just gain experience and grow as a rookie was replaced by "let's play it safe on offense and let our defense handle the rest".

I mean, if you're not going to let your rookie QB play loose (even if it means making mistakes and having to learn from them) because you're scared it might cost you crucial games, then why play him at all? Why not just turn to the veteran guy and let him handle that kind of pressure?

And to complicate matters even more, benching him in games when he was struggling (as most rookie QBs do) also didn't do him any favors, no matter how mature and mentally strong Tua might be.

So again, another mistake by the coaching staff in trying to "develop" their young rookie QB while also being in must-win mode, which meant having to turn to Fitz from time to time. That, inevitably, ends up causing tension and cognitive dissonance in the locker room.

At the end of the day all of those decisions have led to this "narrative" pushed by Mando and co. It would've been easier to just let Fitz handle the playoff expectations, OR play Tua in his rookie year but prioritize his development over making the playoffs. Alas, Flo wanted both and he ended up getting neither.

I still think we can fix things for Tua with a full offseason program, better weapons, AND the right OC, but the margin for error will be very small for sure.

I mean I wouldn't let a few players saying this to mean too much. Some of that could be disgruntled employees basically. Tua had an up and down season and they feel that he doesn't deserve being called starter as a result. Though a top pick is going to get more of a chance if he's a qb, and it's always been that way unless the top pick qb absolutely stinks. But it may also be resentment and jealousy that he's getting that because these players who may be back ups have to fight for it. But it can be how not much different than your typical workplace where you have employees not see another one getting favorable shot, and don't thin that person is a good worker. But sometimes envy can run that bias to seeing the other worker as less of a performer than they are.

Draft another QB while we can (Fields or Wilson) and let them compete. YTF not? If Tua is better, he'll beat out either of them anyhow. I'm quite sure the Jets, Bills, and Pats DON'T want the Dolphins to have two, solid, young QBs. Name a QB who hasn't gotten hurt or had to sit out during his career.

If Grier and company don't get another QB just in case, it'll be yet another horrible decision. Like taking Iggy in the first leaving a half dozen great receivers on the board. Most better than Rugs and Jeudy. (Jefferson, Pittman, Claypool, Higgins, Shenault, Mims, Gabe Davis, etc...)

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article248464745.html

I wanted Tua over Herbert, to be clear. But, I'm also worried about what he showed us, or the lack thereof. I don't know what I would do, but I'll defer to Coach Flo. I trust that guy. And I did see flashes from Tua.

On one hand, its interesting to get that perspective. On the other, this crap leaking out doesn't do the team any favors. Bit tired of Armando's whining lately.

Does a few non-source quotes change anything? I would need to know more, but it concerns be a bit.
Ok Tua struggled a little but this guy was part of 6 wins this season, we only won 5 in total last season, he's a Rookie, stop looking at Herbert to evaluate Tua's progress, this offense was built around Fitz, that's why Tua struggled, his skill set is different than a gun slinging QB, he's more of a Drew Brees type, if the fins give him a few pieces to work with I believe you will see a difference in the play calling.

Draft another QB while we can (Fields or Wilson) and let them compete. YTF not? If Tua is better, he'll beat out either of them anyhow. I'm quite sure the Jets, Bills, and Pats DON'T want the Dolphins to have two, solid, young QBs. Name a QB who hasn't gotten hurt or had to sit out during his career.

If Grier and company don't get another QB just in case, it'll be yet another horrible decision. Like taking Iggy in the first leaving a half dozen great receivers on the board. Most better than Rugs and Jeudy. (Jefferson, Pittman, Claypool, Higgins, Shenault, Mims, Gabe Davis, etc...)
I see your point. It's possible that we may not have an opportunity to have a top 5 pick in some time. However, I would rather surround Tua with better talent this year, give them time to gel, and then see what we have. That said, I would take a late-round flyer on a super athletic type who could run.

The Fins offense needs a lot more skill players we cannot draft a qb high this year as well. Later rounds fine but build around Tua.

There are few players on the Dolphins who can criticize the play of Tua this year......very few.

Watching the last game against the Bills not one single player should open his mouth about any players play or future with this team.

Pathetic teammates if there is an ounce of truth to mando's crap piece.

Back
Top Bottom