Armando Salguero interviews Steve Ross about stadium deal | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero interviews Steve Ross about stadium deal

I like the fact that Ross went on record to say that if you don't win games, the fan's won't come. It appears he is doing everything he can to bring a winner to south florida. Now that many of the morons are no longer here and their fingerprints have all been pretty much purged from the team, I am very excited to see what the dolphins bring to the table for the next few years.

I really wasn't behind Ross with his celebrity ownership crap or the night club, but overall it appeared the maybe he understood the dire situation his new investment found itself in and was trying to generate revenue in any capacity considering he knew the team wasn't really going to win much and thus ticket sales and merchandise revenue was going to be in the tank. I cannot fault a business man for trying to make money. At least now it APPEARS we are on the right track.

Ross is starting to grow on me. I've been very critical of him at times, but he's a brilliant man who started this thing with a low football IQ. I think he's learning a lot and his business savvy combined with a better understanding football operations will make him a great owner one day. He's got a ways to go still, but as his confidence grows the organization will be in good shape. The voters should back this proposal IMHO because there's no longer any question in my mind that he is being 100% sincere. He wants to Win ... I like that.

Fear card through and through. How can anyone read that article and say with a straight face that the Dolphins aren't playing the fear card?

Every theme at the end is pure fear. That's what Ross wants to leave the reader with. He says if he dies the family will have to sell the team and the stadium, and he worries if the new owner will relocate. It's not the family MIGHT have to sell, or they'll have to weigh the options. I'll help them with the options. Nope. This is a man in his early 70s who is outright threatening that if you don't approve this money for me you know darn well about mortality, and my family will have to take this franchise away from you. Now, that will play very well among certain petrified members of this site and this fan base. To me, it's disgusting. It's certainly Steve Ross and Mike Dee caliber of thought.

This was by far the most telling sentence:

"It’s a lot cheaper to do a modernization than it will be to wait another 10 years and build a new stadium."

In other words, I know I've got roughly one more decade remaining with full faculties and relevance. After that's it's a crap shoot. Maybe I'll get lucky but it's not the favorite. Look at Shula, sadly declining in his early 80s. Barely able to get around without a golf cart. I'm not going to build a new stadium in my 80s, and I'm too cheap and cunning to do it now. Hand me this money so I can enjoy a Super Bowl or two under my patchwork roof, while using laughable claims like "tantamount to a new stadium."

Sure, that will sound stupid in a half dozen years or fewer, but it's plenty good enough to fool the gullible desperate types right now. I love how Ross used the examples of all the cities building new stadiums, but zero examples of teams spending hundreds of millions on a patch, and only a handful of years following another $150 or $200 million patch. Armando never calls him on it, or anything else. Let the billionaire ramble, and we're supposed to absorb and behold.

And most of all, be very, very afraid.

Fear card through and through. How can anyone read that article and say with a straight face that the Dolphins aren't playing the fear card?

Every theme at the end is pure fear. That's what Ross wants to leave the reader with. He says if he dies the family will have to sell the team and the stadium, and he worries if the new owner will relocate. It's not the family MIGHT have to sell, or they'll have to weigh the options. I'll help them with the options. Nope. This is a man in his early 70s who is outright threatening that if you don't approve this money for me you know darn well about mortality, and my family will have to take this franchise away from you. Now, that will play very well among certain petrified members of this site and this fan base. To me, it's disgusting. It's certainly Steve Ross and Mike Dee caliber of thought.

This was by far the most telling sentence:

"It’s a lot cheaper to do a modernization than it will be to wait another 10 years and build a new stadium."

In other words, I know I've got roughly one more decade remaining with full faculties and relevance. After that's it's a crap shoot. Maybe I'll get lucky but it's not the favorite. Look at Shula, sadly declining in his early 80s. Barely able to get around without a golf cart. I'm not going to build a new stadium in my 80s, and I'm too cheap and cunning to do it now. Hand me this money so I can enjoy a Super Bowl or two under my patchwork roof, while using laughable claims like "tantamount to a new stadium."

Sure, that will sound stupid in a half dozen years or fewer, but it's plenty good enough to fool the gullible desperate types right now. I love how Ross used the examples of all the cities building new stadiums, but zero examples of teams spending hundreds of millions on a patch, and only a handful of years following another $150 or $200 million patch. Armando never calls him on it, or anything else. Let the billionaire ramble, and we're supposed to absorb and behold.

And most of all, be very, very afraid.

I stopped reading after your bit about Ross's family having to sell the team if he dies. He's right. They will, or come up with a minimum of $500,000,000 dollars in taxes. That's just for the TEAM. That doesn't include his other assets.

Back
Top Bottom