Armando -The Miami Dolphins spent all season dealing with a surprise problem no one could solve

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by uk_dolfan, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

Tannehill has never been that leader even when healthy. It's not a knock on him but I think he was only voted co team captain once maybe. I could be wrong but he and Wake and Suh aren't the leader type it seems.

2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

The Dolphins didn't vote on captains / have standing team captains for the first 2 or 3 years under Philbin. Philbin's idea was to have different captains every week, citing a Packers practice he had seen in the past. I think he changed that in his last season before he got fired.

3. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Did you go to any games? I did. Tannehill was as involved on the sidelines as anyone all season from what I saw.

Liphinphan likes this.
  4. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Now you're just trolling. you're bitchingabout what he does on the sidelines now. Really!!!!

EricCartman likes this.
  5. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

JDW I don't doubt you, but I thought he said that he wouldn't and that's why they cut him

6. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

Riiiight. Were you watching from the Stadium cam or were you at the games? Just about every shot I saw of the very limited glimpses , maybe what 3 seconds a game, Tannehill was working with qb's or in earshot of Gase. Anyways.

http://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/20...ryan-tannehill-contributing-on-the-sidelines/

Gum? Get out of here.

[​IMG]

7. warren4prez

warren4prez Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised!! It makes sense!!! This is why I Gase was trying to get Richard Sherman into this locker room!! I still hope it happens even if it's for 2 seasons we need a vet like him around.

8. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Don't engage the anti tannehill agenda guys. Like a screaming child pitching a temper tantrum if you ignore it, it will eventually cease. (Or get banned)

Every time i see that profile I pass it over. What a miserable negative life some people live.

psfign, RVAPhinFan13, dirkey and 4 others like this.
  9. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I knew Albert was a leader but I didn't realize how much of an importance he had. Interesting read anyway

10. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

There are different kinds of leaders. The leaders we do have (Wake, Suh, Jones, Pouncey - ugh) are more like "keep your head down and do your job" kind of leaders. What we don't have are players that are simply HUNGRY to compete and win, to be the best, not only at their position so they get paid, but as a team to hoist the trophy. We have a bunch of very...content, albeit professional, leaders. That's going to get you to mediocrity every season.

11. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

I would counter that saying that Taylor Lewan is plenty aggressive but seems to be a leader of the team in Tennessee.

12. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

Rams brought in Whitworth, Jaguars Campbell, and both did plenty to lead their teams.

EricCartman likes this.
  13. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

im a HC and leadership in the locker room is everything. ive been apart of teams with all the talent in the world but everyone was an individual and it killed us. and ive been apart of teams with less talent who came together because of the leadership in the lockerroom and out preformed. the locker room needs it, and it means more than the coaches leadership

14. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Your remarks are but the flip side of the same coin. Being a part of a echo chamber or group thought, does no one any good. While some here are negative on this team, for reason, delusion the other way is just as bad.

15. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I ignore those who are always negative and those always positive. I want well-considered opinions. As for leaders, I'm certain they're on the team. They need to
    grab the reins. Leaders TAKE leadership and I think some will

16. tscurley

tscurley Member

Leadership is wildly overrated. Not completely irrelevant, but far less important than talent. A good QB, some better OLs, and a couple good LBs who all collectively didn't say one inspiring word all season but were actually good at professional football would have made a huge difference to this team. Hell. Even just a competent QB and it's likely a 10-6 type team instead of 6-10.

gofins60 and Pandarilla like this.
  17. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Actually they aren't. My remarks speak simply to the non-stop nothing but negative on every single freaking post. Dude literally starts threads just to create more opportunities to bash the same 2 topics. I don't know a single poster that is nothing but positive about everything on every post.... but i know several that are nothing but negative about everything.

Phindog, Tailgun, Liphinphan and 2 others like this.
  18. phinphan4life

phinphan4life Monkey Milk Finheaven VIP Donator

Leadership doesn't work that way. No amount of money can make someone a leader.

Elle Clouds likes this.
  19. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Probably because Miami overpaid Dansby. Miami was paying him to be an impact turnover causing LB, not to to just be solid.

20. SmokyFin

SmokyFin Starter

And who was responsible for bringing in all of these non-leaders??

21. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Lack of leadership, lol...FML these beat writers. It couldn't have been a hurricane, a broken QB or a coked up offensive line coach. No, take a dump on the players collectively to fail to become glorified motivational speakers.

[​IMG]

Word, Branden Albert's leadership vacuum is what messed up our season?

...Then kill yourself.

Tailgun and fin415 like this.
  22. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Wake is always the guy who gives a speech on the sideline before the game. I’ve never seen him as the quiet type.

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  23. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

Leadership and teaching tend to be the least valued traits by fans, but some of the most critical for success, development and maturation of your team.

Fans never stop and think about leadership when they are wanting to boot a guy to the curb.

Yet, we have a Center who has been injured more than BA and it was BA that carried the "injury prone" label. A label frequently used by fans to show him the door.

I too knew what we were losing with BA. He was a consummate professional and took Tunsil under his wing. He was the perfect mentor for Tunsil. And he would have slid inside and continued teaching Tunsil. But TB could wait to get his hands on BA's salary cap space.

TB is the reason we are poorly constructed as a team. We have talent. We don't have leaders.

24. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

When Branden Albert was not going to be renewed, and we then started looking to trade him, I was one of the few who saw his leadership loss as a major negative. As it turned out, that was correct. While it unfolded differently than I had imagined, it did happen. I had been primarily concerned that Tunsil, lacking the correct veteran leadership, role model and big brother in Albert, would slack off. Well, he did. He lost focus and greatly underperformed everyone's expectations this year. But, he did keep his character on the straight and narrow, which was a major concern of mine. But lacking that big brother and friend direction, he got lazy, less involved, and his play showed it.

Likewise, our failure to invest much into our OL showed, our weaknesses exacerbated when injuries inevitably hit, and the LG spot that Tunsil had admirably filled as a rookie, once again became a flaming hot disaster of unopened run lanes and sketchy pass protection. Our foolish reliance on Bushrod as a starter (and paying him starter money to return), was even worse. If we had kept Albert, Tunsil would have given us good LG play, and a combo of Larsen and Davis would have hugely improved our RG play, to the point we would have been OK. Also, Albert's leadership would have helped develop our young guys like Jesse Davis and Jake Brendel. Poor planning and underfunding of resources. This lead directly to letting Albert go ... and let's face it, he never wanted to play this year anywhere but Miami. We gave him away for nothing, when I'm fairly confident he would have re-negotiated to play in Miami for less. It appears we never really tried, because our eyes were too fixated on getting Tunsil to LT we missed the hole it created in the locker room.

Branden Albert is a class act ... and a much-decorated LT, and a tremendous player. He was missed. Now, the question is whether we learn from this lesson or continue our disturbing trend of throwing inconsistent players at the position, or whether we grow a culture of technically sound guys with a history of staying healthy? Somehow, I'm skeptical.

25. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Tannehill has NEVER been a vocal take-charge guy. We have far too many passive players on our roster when we need alpha male leaders.

KingDolphin57 likes this.
  26. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

Three first round picks, pro bowler FA’s, mid and late round draft picks and UdFA’s.

Elle Clouds and KingDolphin57 like this.
  27. fin415

fin415 Not a slot receiver Finheaven VIP

and by leadership you mean jump up and down and scream....

28. GreenMts

GreenMts Seasoned Veteran

agree

so like +10 yrs ago

29. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

I was talking about our reaction to the current OL problem at the last logical time to invest, the past offseason. Not about the last decades decisions. Hope that clarifies. But let's do your analysis just for completeness.

Three first rounders ... hmmm. Let's see, I'm guessing you mean Jake Long who was a great player early but became ravaged by injuries and is now retired ... so that depends on how long back you're going I guess. Then Mike Pouncey, who was the highest drafted center of all time ... that definitely fits your description. Then Ju'Wuan James ... that definitely fits the description too.

But, Pouncey was a reach, over-drafted because of need, over-hyped, then re-signed and over-paid, and who has a real durability issue coupled with difficulty at the point of attack ... at the time I called that a reach, and I stand by that assessment. Ju'Wuan James was a bad pick. I said as much then, and believe as much now. Sure, we wanted Zack Martin, who would have been a phenomenal pick, All-Pro routinely, and an anchor for a dominant run game in Dallas. He has been a fantastic pick ... but we didn't pick him. He was gone, so we reached for James, who isn't even worth signing to his 5th year option. I wouldn't call him a bust per se, but he's been very bad.

FA's, we signed Branden Albert to a big contract, but got rid of him before paying the biggest part ... eating significant dead cap in the process. Bad decision IMHO. At the time, I said we overpaid ... and I stand behind that. But the worst part of it was that our overpayment meant we got rid of him when we still needed him and ate the cap. He LIVED in Miami and was dead-set on playing LT ... and had no other competitive bidders really, so we were just dumb to overpay. We created that problem with a bad investment.

And what did we do this year? Oh yeah, we failed to invest much in the OL and it showed ... as I mentioned. Well, Larsen was a CHEAP pickup, and might have been OK if he could stay healthy. But he was our only real investment. We didn't sign any other financial investment FA's and our draft pick, Asiata, whom I like, was a 5th round pick ... which is definitely not a heavy investment regardless of position. The rest, like Eric Smith, weren't even drafted.

So yeah, this year we failed to invest much into the OL.

In the long term, you have a point that we invested in the position, but that view of the long term included Parcells and Sparano drafing the now-retired Jake Long, and Philbin pushing to overpay for Branden Albert, the previous regime's selection of Mike Pouncey and even Dennis Hickey's selection of Ju'Wuan James (which may have been Tannenbaum so that's worth considering). I'm not sure I'm really prepared to blame the current coaching staff and front office for all of those mistakes.

I was discussing this past offseason, because that's when Gase & Co. knew of the problems and had the time and resources to address them. They chose to sign guys like Branch and Timmons to inflated contracts and leave pocket change for the OL while eating Albert's dead cap. IMHO, those were all bad moves. The fact that we had OL woes for the umpteenth season in a row was ... not surprising. That's all I'm saying.

joenhre likes this.
  30. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

"(He's) kind of taking the team on his shoulders and knowing that, hey, we've got to come out here every day and put something great together," wideout Kenny Stills told the team's website. "And if we want to have a chance of being a great team, it's going to come from him and the rest of this offense. He takes pride in that."

"Jonathan Marin grabs Matthews and says something, Mike Pouncey and Brian Hartline each throw in some words, then Tannehill comes in, grabs Matthews, yells "Get the **** off the field,", and forcing the receiver out of the game. If there's a better example of a quarterback taking charge of his team, I don't know about it."

31. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I don't believe Albert was open to playing guard for us. I think that is the reason he retired, they wanted him to move to guard. And before that in KC he threatened to sit out the season if moved from left tackle.

32. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Tannehill a leader? Fake news.

Where is Wake? Suh? Reshad Jones?

Just a bunch of "me" guys throughout this pathetic excuse of a roster.

MiamiMuss likes this.
  33. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

My first take on this is why are we not looking at Gase here? Gase has said the players aren't smart enough to learn the playbook, he has to dumb it down. The buck stops with Gase as well on all the penalties as well. Gase is the one in control of the locker room supposedly. Wasn't he mentioned as the player's coach?
    I just found it odd that we are looking at people who did not step up as leaders, but the HC bares no responsibility.

34. GasPed

GasPed A True Fan Donator

Wake, Suh and Jones are perennial all-pros and true professionals. Calling them a “bunch of ‘me’ guys” because they’re introverts is pretty obtuse. I think you need a fourth eye.

NBP81, Eesti, Elle Clouds and 4 others like this.
  35. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

Tj MacDonald a leader lol lol someone who could possibly be facing jail time. Hahaha hahahaha not the leader I would want

36. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

ooh oooh , I know I know

37. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

The similarities? Limp wristed coaches that got rid of alpha personalities because the couldn't deal with them. So again, the root of the problem is the HC. First Ajayi, now it looks like Landry yet he lets the guy that went AWOL back on the team. A week after taking his hard line stance by trading Ajayi he caved to the kneelers and let them do their thing. No one is going to stick their neck out for that coach. Why would they? He may trade them if they become too vocal.

38. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Sadly I have to agree with you.......

39. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

Oh, last year, I see what you mean. Last year we had 3 first rounders, Bushrod was a pro bowler.

40. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

This team hasn't had leadership either in the locker room or on the sideline since Philbin jettisoned them all off. Gase IMO is proving to be another Philbin in that he seems to be intimidated by strong personalities in the locker room.