Arnsparger's D In Today's Nfl | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Arnsparger's D In Today's Nfl

DolfanBob72

Active Roster
Reaction score
I think those No Name, 53 and Killer Bs Defenses could still dominate in the way games r played today, until players made a pro bowl or two chased the $. So many very good players played as part of suffocating units. 4-3, 3-4, multiple disguises, why couldn't it work today?
Any teams in the last 40-plus years ran multiple/similar schemes to like or more success?

Two things. First, the defensive players of the 70s and 80s are too small to play in today’s games, the linemen especially. The linebackers might hold up for a while, but Buoniconti couldn’t cover a modern TE. Secondly, the rules changes would work against the Arnsparger defenses.

Situational substitution is something that all teams do to this day, and it was pioneered by Arnsparger. who designed the defenses you mentioned.
Also, people get too wound up in giving defenses names like 3-4, 4-3, 4-2-5, etc.
Any, and all defenses CAN morph into something completely different once that ball is snapped.

Two things. First, the defensive players of the 70s and 80s are too small to play in today’s games, the linemen especially. The linebackers might hold up for a while, but Buoniconti couldn’t cover a modern TE. Secondly, the rules changes would work against the Arnsparger defenses.
AGREE with what you said about players then vs. players today. Nick trying to cover Charles Clay n pass coverage would probably lead to Clay n HOF. I'm talking about schemes, multiple by same D n same game and ability for "good to average" players working together to form a DOMINANT D. Any examples of such since early 70s? Does Squealers zone blitz or Tampa 2 (other Ds?) similar to what Arnsparger ran?

You sure about those linemen?

Bill: 6’5, 255

Bob: 6’6, 275

Manny (the small one with the attitude) 6’2, 250

Vern: 6’6, 255

I’d take ‘em. Right now.

And they would feast.

I do agree with you that the LBs of yore seem small.

But I’ll bet Mr. Thomas wouldn’t.

You sure about those linemen?

Bill: 6’5, 255

Bob: 6’6, 275

Manny (the small one with the attitude) 6’2, 250

Vern: 6’6, 255

I’d take ‘em. Right now.

And they would feast.

I do agree with you that the LBs of yore seem small.

But I’ll bet Mr. Thomas wouldn’t.
Bill Stanfill
Bob Heinze
Manny Fernandez
Vern Den Herder

Will ANY defensive lineman EVER have a Super Bowl game like Manny Fernandez in SB VII?
I don't think so!

Back
Top Bottom