Article absolutely KILLING Chambers | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article absolutely KILLING Chambers

Agreed, last time:

I've watched plenty of Dolphins games. That's where my opinion of Chambers came from. Not the stats. The stats back it up.

Other receivers have to put up with bad quarterbacks. No one does as bad as Chambers does -- if they do, they're a mediocre WR. He's not a special case. Other wide receivers have to put up with QBs as poor. You can point to your analysis of a game and that's fine. Watch Santana Moss for a whole game. Watch Muhsin Muhammad last year. Off the top of my head, they have to put up with worse QBs.

Why haven't I mentioned Booker? Because Booker's had half as many throws in his direction as Chambers has. If Chambers only got 80 throws in his direction a year, it wouldn't be a big deal.

You can say that some quarterback is similar but that doesn't make it true.

Hate to repeat myself again, but all the evidence points to the fact that they are. Again, it's not six quarterbacks' fault. It's Chris Chambers'. Sorry. I can repeat myself all I want and point out the obvious evidence over and over again, and we can watch Chambers catch 60 balls out of 170 next year with a new quarterback and wait for him to break out. Maybe when he's 34 or 35, he will.

Loved the article man. I had been saying this stuff for months and was berated left and right for it until your article came out and suddenly everyone started paying attention. The vast majority realise Chambers is what he is...There are a few stubborn fans around here that will argue you in circles though just for the sake of arguing not sure if Chambers has hired a damage control team to monitor these boards or what but it is ludicrous at times how staunchly a few folks here defend a mediocre player.

I certainly hope our next coach gets us a solid #1 reciever because that is the only thing that's going to settle this once and for all is seeing what a good reciever can do in Chambers spot.

are you kidding me? yeah, he's had a lot of passes thrown his way...and so many of them have been over, under, skipped, and defended it's ridiculous
he wouldn't have nearly as many grabs as he does if he wasn't as talented as he is

you can leave out defended as even oj mcduffie told him to start going back to the ball to prevent int's...fight for the ball don't stand there!

that was in st louis game when wanny was the coach.

he is not a good reciever and doubt he will be anything more than what we see now.

Read it and weep. The truth hurts, kids.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/archives/gameday/chris_chambers_the_worst_wr_in_football.php

The conclusion of the article sums it up best:

It seems absolutely unfathomable to me that anyone who watches him on a regular basis could make a case that Chris Chambers is a star receiver. Chambers has had to deal with some poor quarterbacks, indeed, but if he were really a stud stuck with mediocre talent all around him, he wouldn't be this bad. There simply is not a wide receiver in our database (looking back to 1997) who has played this poorly in what should be the prime of his career and recovered to be an elite wide receiver. When Gregg Easterbrook was railing against the evils of SportsCenter several weeks ago, he didn't point out one of the real flaws that SportsCenter's introduced: false perception. You can watch a highlight package of Chris Chambers plays and think he's amazing. If you watched him for a season, you might be able to forget about the drops or the mistakes. You'd have to watch that highlight package quite a few times, though. Chris Chambers has a better chance of being out of football in three years than he does of appearing in a Pro Bowl. If that seems absurd to you, I'd reply by saying that nominating the worst wide receiver in the league to go to the Pro Bowl would be an equally absurd proposition.

I have to eat some major helping of crow on this issue. Before this year I was one of the Finatics that thought of Chambers as possibly as good as the fifth best receiver in the entire league and at least top 10. But after what happened this year and taking off the aqua and orange glasses to ponder and think about all the drops through the years I must fess up that I was wrong.

With all the talent he has he should not have played this poorly this past season. Yeah there is the qb issues. But, this year he completely disappeared in games. He is no number 1 at all. And he would not be a number 2 on most teams either. I think he is still a good team player with good attitude and all and still behind him to do well. But I have gathered a sinking suspicion that all the wishful thinking just might not help. What a shame!

Agreed, last time:

I've watched plenty of Dolphins games. That's where my opinion of Chambers came from. Not the stats. The stats back it up.

Other receivers have to put up with bad quarterbacks. No one does as bad as Chambers does -- if they do, they're a mediocre WR. He's not a special case. Other wide receivers have to put up with QBs as poor. You can point to your analysis of a game and that's fine. Watch Santana Moss for a whole game. Watch Muhsin Muhammad last year. Off the top of my head, they have to put up with worse QBs.

So what you're saying is that you're a biased individual with something to prove. Santana Moss has had Mark Brunell and Jason Campbell throwing to him; both are better than Harrington. Brunell had a rating of 86.5 - 18 points better than Harrington. Jason Campbell had a 76.5 - 8 points better. Still, Santana Moss had a less than stellar season (55 catches for 790 yards). His numbers are strikingly similar to Chambers - especially considering the difference in the quality of quarterbacks. (The net Washington rating was 83.4 while the net Miami rating was 71.2.) Muhsin Muhammad in 2005 had to put up with a 61.5 team QB rating; his stats were similarly pedestrian (64/750). This year, the comically bad passing team (Oakland, at 56.2) was led by Ronald Curry (62/727). Former NFL standout Randy Moss? 42 catches for 553 yards. How about the other statistically bad passing team (Tennessee)? Their leading receiver was Drew Bennett (46/737).

Go ahead and tell me one more time that receivers can excel on bad passing teams.

Why haven't I mentioned Booker? Because Booker's had half as many throws in his direction as Chambers has. If Chambers only got 80 throws in his direction a year, it wouldn't be a big deal.

The point is Marty Booker was a Pro Bowler in the past and has been very average in Miami. You simply don't understand how bad Miami's quarterbacks have been. In 2002, Booker's Pro Bowl year, his quarterbacks were Chris Chandler and Jim Miller. Their combined rating was about 78 - roughly average. Chambers would probably kill to have that.

You're again faulting Chambers for something you can't quantify. It doesn't matter if the quarterback can't get the ball there - it must be the receiver's fault.

Hate to repeat myself again, but all the evidence points to the fact that they are. Again, it's not six quarterbacks' fault. It's Chris Chambers'. Sorry. I can repeat myself all I want and point out the obvious evidence over and over again, and we can watch Chambers catch 60 balls out of 170 next year with a new quarterback and wait for him to break out. Maybe when he's 34 or 35, he will.

Chambers will never break out as long as the steady stream of 70-rated quarterbacks in Miami continues. Never. No receiver would. No receiver has. You make the very elementary mistake of saying so-and-so has excelled with a bad quarterback when the overwhelming majority of cases say that a receiver cannot succeed with a bad quarterback.

Consider this - in the last five years, only one wide receiver made it to the Pro Bowl that had a starting quarterback whose rating was lower than Gus Frerotte in 2005. That was Anquan Boldin in 2003 (Donald Driver came close this year).

But I guess I'm wrong - bad quarterbacks make Pro Bowlers all the time.

You might write for a statistically-oriented website but that doesn't make you right.

Loved the article man. I had been saying this stuff for months and was berated left and right for it until your article came out and suddenly everyone started paying attention. The vast majority realise Chambers is what he is...There are a few stubborn fans around here that will argue you in circles though just for the sake of arguing not sure if Chambers has hired a damage control team to monitor these boards or what but it is ludicrous at times how staunchly a few folks here defend a mediocre player.

I certainly hope our next coach gets us a solid #1 reciever because that is the only thing that's going to settle this once and for all is seeing what a good reciever can do in Chambers spot.

You liked it? I'm shocked. That doesn't seem like you - to join in on the irrational Chambers bashing.

Did you know Marty Booker was once a Pro Bowler? Isn't he on the Dolphins? Should he be showing Chambers what to do? Was he a product of the Jim Miller/Chris Chandler passing attack?

You liked it? I'm shocked. That doesn't seem like you - to join in on the irrational Chambers bashing.

Did you know Marty Booker was once a Pro Bowler? Isn't he on the Dolphins? Should he be showing Chambers what to do? Was he a product of the Jim Miller/Chris Chandler passing attack?

The only thing that's irrational is your blind defense of an indefensible player on this team. How much is he paying you to do damage control for him? :lol:

P.S. Booker had more yards and TD's than Chambers with half as many passes this year and what 3 or 4 less games played due to injury. If Chambers ain't learned in 6 years he ain't never gonna learn.

Cheers

What I see in this thread is a guy that wrote an article and can't defend it.

I asked for a list of recievers that are btter. I still don't have it. "The site eats it". Whatever that means. (I made a thread with the top 50 NBA players, it can be done.)

Then I see a guy make a rational argument that is really based on LOGIC. He gets bashed by the guys that are trying to find fault where there is none. Most of these guys have never ran a route.

It's very simple. Randy Moss didn't all of a sudden become a bad reciever. Brandon Stokely didn't all of a sudden become a stud. They had a little help to get where they got.

The NFL actually does keep stats on DROPPED PASSES. Compare Chambers to everybody else. Then see how many passes get thrown his way. There have been games where he has been a decoy and an X on the chalkboard going deep all game to not get one deep ball thrown in the whole game.

Again...post your list....since you believe that there are 50 recievers that are better...I am here to tell you that not ONE..NOT ONE player personnell guy in theNFL would agree with you. NOT one. So I guess you are much smarter than any of these guys right?

When are you interviewing for the Giants Job?

Read it and weep. The truth hurts, kids.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/archives/gameday/chris_chambers_the_worst_wr_in_football.php

The conclusion of the article sums it up best:

It seems absolutely unfathomable to me that anyone who watches him on a regular basis could make a case that Chris Chambers is a star receiver. Chambers has had to deal with some poor quarterbacks, indeed, but if he were really a stud stuck with mediocre talent all around him, he wouldn't be this bad. There simply is not a wide receiver in our database (looking back to 1997) who has played this poorly in what should be the prime of his career and recovered to be an elite wide receiver. When Gregg Easterbrook was railing against the evils of SportsCenter several weeks ago, he didn't point out one of the real flaws that SportsCenter's introduced: false perception. You can watch a highlight package of Chris Chambers plays and think he's amazing. If you watched him for a season, you might be able to forget about the drops or the mistakes. You'd have to watch that highlight package quite a few times, though. Chris Chambers has a better chance of being out of football in three years than he does of appearing in a Pro Bowl. If that seems absurd to you, I'd reply by saying that nominating the worst wide receiver in the league to go to the Pro Bowl would be an equally absurd proposition.

Lets just agree that he aint a #1 receiver but he could be one hell of a #2 if given the right offense...I love Chris but he sinks in too many games and this was before this season..

Sorry chris but you need to pick up your game and take this s-it over. If dinky steve smith can you can also. You are taller and can hop like no other. Get your game on bro we need you...

All people do for this guy is make excuses for him. I was shocked when I read that article I didn't know half of those stats. It is really sad, that we have a medicro, at best, WR as our #1 WR. I mean what exactly has this guy done for us, nothing. He has never been the kind of WR that people will be scared of. He may have the size and hops, but he doesn't have the hands. So basically what we have as #1 WR is an oversized CB....Very sad.

All people do for this guy is make excuses for him. I was shocked when I read that article I didn't know half of those stats. It is really sad, that we have a medicro, at best, WR as our #1 WR. I mean what exactly has this guy done for us, nothing. He has never been the kind of WR that people will be scared of. He may have the size and hops, but he doesn't have the hands. So basically what we have as #1 WR is an oversized CB....Very sad.

You have this in your sig:

"If Marino is deemed the best QB ever, because of his stats, and Favre will brake most of those stats, and has A RING! What will Favre be when he reitres...The Best Thats What! "

As for your post...so you read stats and then forget what you have seen? never seen you before...so welcome to the site...No good Packer sites?

Everyone says "it's always the same excuses" for Chambers when people back him up. But you same people are hypocritical and ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS throw in the "passes thrown to" stat, which clearly, if you watch the games, aren't rational. Then you bring in the "drop passes", granted, Chris drops his share of passes, but who doesn't. Steve Smith does, TO does, and so does Marvin Harrison. You look at the top receivers in the league, Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith... Look at who their QB is... Peyton Manning, Marc Bulger, Carson Palmer. They have all been to the Pro Bowl and have had major success. C'mon people, be realistic. AJ Feeley... Joey Harrington... Gus Frerotte... Ray Lucas... Jay Fieldler... the list goes on and on... Chris has suffered from many mediocre QBs. To say he's the worst WR in the league, is idiotic and I'll question anyone's knowledge if they say that. To say there's fifty better WR's out there than him, insane. To call him an mediocre number one receiver... Unacceptable. When I look at other number one receivers, I can't help but think that a team like, the Vikings... the Bears... the Browns... the Eagles... would love to have Chris. People do overrate Chris, people also underrate him. But I definetly can say he's underappreciated with the fanbase.

Back
Top Bottom