Article absolutely KILLING Chambers | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article absolutely KILLING Chambers

Gardenhead said:
I'm not saying it is the perfect measuring stick. However, you can't blame everything on the system and the QB. The initial article addresses this. Quality receivers can still excel on crappy teams with crappy QBs.

Chambers has not been able to do that this year.

Yeah, they note Steve Smith. Chambers is not Smith, but neither is his role in the offense like Smith's. Smith runs a lot of screen/hitch passes, allowing his Catch% to increase. I don't think Chambers has dropped a pass on one of those hitch passes all season long. Chamber's talents have always suggested that he's a much better deep threat and jump ball receiver than anything else. Like CK was saying, the rest of our offense is not helping.

malzj said:
But remember, we're 5-7. One player, such as a reciever will not put you into that position. Defensive laps and poor quarterback play can.
Don't forget to add "dropping way too many catchable passes" to the list. McMichael gets added for that syndrome as well. Even my wife notices that little problem when she watches the games with me...

She says gems like "why do the guys on your team always drop the ball?"

Oh, and you can also add "missing 50% of field goals between 40-45 yards" to the list. :lol:

Gardenhead said:
Good question:

Wide receivers are ranked according to DPAR, or Defense-adjusted Points Above Replacement. This number represents the total number of points scored due to plays where this WR caught the ball, compared to a replacement-level WR in the same game situations. DPAR (and its cousin, PAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The other statistic given is DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average WR in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance. DVOA (and its cousin, VOA, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

Nice explanation. Do you know whos top of those ratings in the NFL?

As much as i like CC it does really hurts to say that he's NOT a #1WR, numbers dont lie but people do and it will be up to COACHES & FANS to determine when is this denial going to end. CC isnt numero uno, so lets go and get that #1 WR for our team on the 2007 draft, lets go and get CALVIN JOHNSON or TED GINN JR lets start a new Denial.

bakedmatt said:
Yeah, they note Steve Smith. Chambers is not Smith, but neither is his role in the offense like Smith's. Smith runs a lot of screen/hitch passes, allowing his Catch% to increase. I don't think Chambers has dropped a pass on one of those hitch passes all season long. Chamber's talents have always suggested that he's a much better deep threat and jump ball receiver than anything else. Like CK was saying, the rest of our offense is not helping.

How many times have you seen CC dragging behind the linebackers and drop a very catchable ball? 20 times in the past 2 years?

There's more to being a WR than running deep and running screen passes.

FanMarino said:
Nice explanation. Do you know whos top of those ratings in the NFL?

1. Reggie Wayne
2. Chad Johnson
3. Marvin Harrison
4. Marques Colston
5. Roy Williams

FanMarino said:
Errrr.... worst WR in the League? The writer of that article is obviously a Chambers hater no matter what the guy does. IMO Chambers has disappointed me and alot of fans. He hasnt gone on from last season and he has dropped some catches and not put up the numbers expected of a No1 WR. In defence of the guy he has been overthrown numerous times as well so its not all one sided.
To come out and write that Chambers is the worst WR in the League is laughable. The writer has made that article a comic book read to any knowing NFL fan with that one dumb, second rate, biased, unprofessional lame comment. Ask NFL defensive backs, Coaches and commentators if Chambers is the worst?!?. errrrr....:confused: :shakeno:

The article does NOT say he is the worst WR in the league. It says he was the worst wr to be voted to the pro bowl.

Booker and Welker are our best WR's.

Gardenhead said:
How many times have you seen CC dragging behind the linebackers and drop a very catchable ball? 20 times in the past 2 years?

There's more to being a WR than running deep and running screen passes.

Not exactly 20 times.

Anyways should be no question however, that Chambers' role in the Dolphins offense is supposed to be more of a deep threat, whereas Smith's role deals with more high-percentage passes.

This leads to the problem I have with the weight placed upon Catch% in these rankings. I don't know the exact mathematics, but just the thought that Joey Harrington's innacurate deep passes are playing a factor in that is silly to me.

Mr772 said:
The article does NOT say he is the worst WR in the league. It says he was the worst wr to be voted to the pro bowl.

Booker and Welker are our best WR's.

Do you believe that?

Chambers is what he is: an underachieving WR with basically everything but the savvy to use his body to shield defenders.

He lets the ball come to him, doesn't go after it like the other premier wideouts, yada yada. I/we have said it all before.

You just have to put a QB in there who leads him and throws it in such a way that he catches it or nobody does. Those are the ones he makes, where it's almost inconceivable that he'll even have a shot at it, and then he snags it like it was stationary. But he's not going to fight off DBs for it.

Give him a QB that can do that (Sage Rosenfels could) and he'll go for 1,300+. Everyone has weaknesses (Chad Johnson is not physical enough, Joe Horn is inconsistent, Donte Stallworth can't stay healthy, etc.). We just need to maximize the good and minimize the bad.

chris chambers isnt a game breaker....hes not someone you have to scheme around....as far as #1 WRs go, yea he probably is the worst

Slappy8800 said:
chris chambers isnt a game breaker....hes not someone you have to scheme around....as far as #1 WRs go, yea he probably is the worst

He's still double-covered in every game this season.

Plenty of blame to go around for CC's troubles this year, but he has NOT shown that he is an elite WR in this league. That takes some consistency, which CC has shown NONE of. I hope he turns it on the rest of this season like last year, then we trade him for a decent #1 WR, because he is not it IMHO.

bakedmatt said:

You are right. Thats half the problem when rating and comparing No1 WR's. How many Steve Smiths are there in the League? Most NFL "Elite" WR's bring something to the table which we lack. CONSISTENCY.Steve Smith IS Steve Smith. You can say the same about the Johnsons, Chambers, Owens, Coles, Galloways, Harrisons, Drivers, Holts and Wards of this world. We lack a No1 WR that is producing it every season. Time for a new No1 WR IMO. I am a fan of Chambers but i think we have been starved of a decent QB/WR combo for some yrs now.
Some of you guys must know how much we are paying Chambers? I would like to know how it compares to some of the "elite WR's" in the NFL that have produced on a consistent basis and are No1 on their teams.

Gardenhead said:
1. Reggie Wayne
2. Chad Johnson
3. Marvin Harrison
4. Marques Colston
5. Roy Williams

Cheers Gardenhead. You cant argue with those guys. Heres the NFL top 10 in YDS RECEIVING to compare.

PLAYER Team/rec/yds/avg/tds/long

1 Chad Johnson CIN 72 1146 15.9 7 74
2 Roy Williams DET 63 1043 16.6 4 60
3 Reggie Wayne IND 62 1019 16.4 8 51
4 Marvin Harrison IND 68 993 14.6 6 68
5 Andre Johnson HOU 85 991 11.7 5 53
6 Steve Smith CAR 66 958 14.5 6 72
7 Donald Driver GB 64 943 14.7 6 82
8 Lee Evans BUF 65 925 14.2 4 83
9 Anquan Boldin ARI 66 920 13.9 4 49
10 Terrell Owens DAL 69 915 13.3 8 51

Chambers is 19th in the AFC with:

19 Chris Chambers MIA 52 611 11.8 4 46

So basically No2 WR's for some teams are putting up better No's than Chambers who was a Pro-Bowler last season. It needs sorting. I think we need to find a way to get the ball more to Chambers until next season when i think we need to look for a No1.

Back
Top Bottom