Article absolutely KILLING Chambers | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article absolutely KILLING Chambers

Hagan should definitely get more playing time. When you draft a guy in the 3rd round, you have to see if he can play. And if your 3rd rounder isn't a decent number 2, it probably wasn't a good pick.

FanMarino said:
IMO calling Chambers the worst WR in the league has shown all his stats and arguements to be not worth a damn because the guy has made an unprofessional comment about a WR that is a No1 WR (questionable i know!) who went to the Pro Bowl last season for flips sake!!!! If you want stats then follow stats but i'd rather watch the games and judge for myself. The guy drops passes, gives up sometimes on fighting for balls but he also catches one handers that 90% of WR's couldnt catch if they had snow ploughs for hands. Sometimes stats dont give the full picture, i know that and im sure im not alone with that thought.
Chambers to me has been given the mantle of No1 Wr for the Dolphins for a few yrs now and maybe its time we got another WR who can take some slack off Chambers and bring the expectation level down with another player who hopefully can put up better stats.

The title "Worst in the League" is certainly provocative. However, lets equate the footballoutsiders WR formula to the well-known QB rating system.

Among WRs with at least 39 balls thrown their way, Chambers comes in dead last.

Its not about last year's pro bowl performance and its not about jaw-dropping catches. Its about production. THIS YEAR Chambers simply has not been productive. THIS year, he is the least productive WR with at least 39 balls thrown to him.

Is he a worse WR than, say, Marcus Vick? Of course not, but when you look at his productivity to all of the #1's, #2's and some #3's in the league, he's the worst.

The only way Chambers is going to be a #2 is if we're paying somebody else like he's a #1, and Chambers's current contract prevents that. We'd just have too much cap money tied up in the WR position at that point. My strategy would be to try to get a #2 pick for him (even a late one) and draft a WR in the 1st round this year.

shouright said:
The only way Chambers is going to be a #2 is if we're paying somebody else like he's a #1, and Chambers's current contract prevents that. We'd just have too much cap money tied up in the WR position at that point. My strategy would be to try to get a #2 pick for him (even a late one) and draft a WR in the 1st round this year.

Good point. What's his cap # for next year?

dplunk said:
He is having the ball thrown to him. If the throws were really that bad all the time, wouldn't Welker and Booker have a similar drop %? Booker's is 61% and Welker's is 70%. I do like Chambers. But something is definitely missing.
Umm, maybe because short throws are easier than long ones? And Joey has trouble with the long ones?

jdang307 said:
Umm, maybe because short throws are easier than long ones? And Joey has trouble with the long ones?

I agree. And that is why I don't think Joey should start over a healthy Daunte.

You have a point there. Chambers' skill is the deep ball. Harrington's skill is throwing to a spot. He can't hit a moving target.

If that's the case, Chambers is a one-trick pony. He's been in the league for what, 5 years? Maybe he should be a better route runner. Or maybe he should be able to catch the ball when it is thrown below his waist.

cnc66 said:
what is;

???

Good question:

Wide receivers are ranked according to DPAR, or Defense-adjusted Points Above Replacement. This number represents the total number of points scored due to plays where this WR caught the ball, compared to a replacement-level WR in the same game situations. DPAR (and its cousin, PAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The other statistic given is DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average WR in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance. DVOA (and its cousin, VOA, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

cnc66 said:
thanks bro !!

edit;

and you too Gardenhead... Thanks!

No problem. That is a pretty good website. They analyze every position and every team using those kinds of stats and stuff.

The footballoutsiders.com approach to stats is IMO excellent. DVOA looks at the opponent and the down and distance.

For instance, if a player gets a 9 yard run on a 3rd and 18, it is less valuable than a 9 yard run on 1st and 10. DVOA takes that into account. Regular stats don't.

dplunk said:
I agree. And that is why I don't think Joey should start over a healthy Daunte.

Don't disagree with you there.

Gardenhead, I don't agree with your post however. Chambers isn't a one-trick pony, they had him in many different configurations last year which the team said helped spark his production towards the end of the year. They went on to say that they haven't been able to do that this year because that would take away playing time from other players (i.e. Welker who was having a good year, how do you take away his playing time?).

So if anything, the evidence shows he is more than a one-trick pony.

Gardenhead said:
For instance, if a player gets a 9 yard run on a 3rd and 18, it is less valuable than a 9 yard run on 1st and 10. DVOA takes that into account. Regular stats don't.

Yeah but is that an accurate reflection of the receiver or the play caller?

Back
Top Bottom