Article: Ask a Fan: Hayden Fox's Week 9 Assessment | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: Ask a Fan: Hayden Fox's Week 9 Assessment

Great write up as always HF ! Game balls to Nate Garner and Will Yeatman! They came through big time tonight! Why not run a QB sneak on 3rd and inches ? Why run a sweep with Daniel Thomas ? SO frustrating !

Shorty yardage is bad. Real bad.

I think it's important to mention that we were fortunate that Andy Dalton finally reverted back to being Andy Dalton. He's played out of his gord the past 2 weeks and finally came back to his true self (an inconsistent back up QB ala Matt Moore with a weaker arm) last night. I'm glad we were able to take advantage of that and get the win. It still doesn't solve the problems with this team (Sherman was more pass happy in the second half again, Daniel Thomas being used other than on 1st downs to spell Miller, ect) or the fact that I don't want Jeff Ireland to make his attempt at solving those problems.

Go Fins!

For now, this is exactly how the team should play. I mentioned in a thread yesterday that no other team with a YPC over 4.0 ran the ball less than us (going into the game). The D is doing a better job of forcing TO's, and our RZ D is still solid. Pretend Tannehill is Alex Smith with more arm talent. Have him manage the game. It's also the way Big Ben and Flacco started their careers. Tannehill (at least under these circumstances - with the O-line's struggles) isn't ready to throw the ball around 40 times a game - not if you want to win. If Miami builds on this game and this strategy (and I do mean build - rather than stay as is), they can make the playoffs as a WC. Pound the rock, play D. To use the cliche, make sure every offensive drive ends with a kick. If you're passing the ball as much as we have, especially with the players we're using, that's an unrealistic expectation.

Also, I don't care who you have at QB; your offense is going to be better (when it matters) if you consistently run the ball. The Patriots, Packers, and Broncos are all averaging about 29 rush attempts per game. Going into the game, we were averaging about 22. Last night, we had 30. When you run the ball, you establish a tone, dictate the pace of the game, set up your D for success, and open passing lanes. The Seahawks have also had significant problems protecting their QB - largely due to injuries on the O-line. They run the ball 31.6 times a game. If they threw the ball as much as we have, they'd probably have a record closer to .500. Stay the course, Sherman. Keep pounding the rock.

I think it's important to mention that we were fortunate that Andy Dalton finally reverted back to being Andy Dalton. He's played out of his gord the past 2 weeks and finally came back to his true self (an inconsistent back up QB ala Matt Moore with a weaker arm) last night. I'm glad we were able to take advantage of that and get the win. It still doesn't solve the problems with this team (Sherman was more pass happy in the second half again, Daniel Thomas being used other than on 1st downs to spell Miller, ect) or the fact that I don't want Jeff Ireland to make his attempt at solving those problems.

Go Fins!

Dalton will always struggle under adversity. He just has an offense that doesn't put him in adverse situations very often. That offense is loaded - as is the D. Dalton is a slightly better version of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

"Wallace seemed much more comfortable tonight"

Great post. Agree 100%. I also notice a comfort level with Wallace tonight. Hope this continues.

I agree with your last statement. Progress would be good to see. Perhaps the 2nd half more consistency and coaches figuring out how to adjust in the 2nd half. Anticipating their adjustments is what our coaches need to do.

Go Fins!

Last night I was actually wondering - and because I don't want to invite any trolling, I'll try to state this carefully: Using the perspective of our play vs the Bengals as compared to their 40 pt win last week over the jets, was the difference either just one of those "on any given sunday occurences," a reflective critique of a jets defense I considered quite formidable, or more reflective of Geno Smith against a decent defense... or maybe any combo of all those???

Now I understand that there's a difference between winning at home and losing on the road, but I don't think it's the equivalent of a nearly 6 TD difference, and to somewhat counterbalance that, both the Bengals and the Fins were playing on less rest.

Great post. Feels good to win again. Been what 6 weeks since we last won? No matter how Miami finishes the season I don't want Ireland back picking our talent next year although I know if Miami finishes strong Ross is keeping him and we do have a chance to finish strong. IMO we must win every game in November. Only 3 games at Tampa then hosting SD and Carolina. We have to win those 3 to have a shot at the playoffs. We have 5 games in December with 4 of those being division games. If we can win out in November that will set us up for that last month.

Positives If that means no playoffs, but we see progress...so be it. And while I have been super critical of Joe Philbin the last two weeks, I urge others of you to join me and support the idea of NOT BLOWING THINGS UP. That includes the GM btw. The team is frustrating and has let a ton of opportunity slip through their hands. However, look for progress and allow this team to keep working toward success. Continuity wins in the NFL.

I've been saying for a while we must endure this staff and GM. Wins certainly do cure everything. The players must come together and respect the coaches, the coaches must come together and respect the players. This bridge needs to be built, used and maintained. A single voice does NOT a good team make.

Philbin and Sherman need to listen to their OLine. If they want to want to run the ball, give them the call and the game in their hands. Let them go out and seize control of games and protect our defense. Our defense is a big play defense. It has "winning" pieces on it. They come to the forefront at just the right moment. But they can't stay on the field and continue to perform at a high level.

I've said before that Tannehill is clutch. For a 2nd year QB with little college experience, the kid has uncoachable instincts and abilities that make Elite QBs. He's growing and these 200 yard days will turn into 300 yard days. But until then, we've got to play to the strength of the OLine. Miller is also showing flashes of greatness. But he's having mental lapses at very critical moments. THIS is focus and attention to detail: both are coachable.

This staff has always prided itself on growing its own talent. Well, now we have a LOT of young talent. It's on the coaches now. Bridge the gap and get in touch with your young team. Teach, develop, listen and learn.

I said in the offseason we should have signed McKinnie and Leach. We see the impact even an aging McKinnie has had. I said it was worth it just to have Leach even if he was only part of our short yardage and goal line package. It's showed up too many times that our short yardage package does not exist. Had we made these 2 moves in the offseason, we might be looking at a completely different situation. But he we are, we MUST LEARN from mistakes and continue to progress forward. Build on every mistake and success.

Sherman still wants to throw the ball at the wrong times. But we MUST maintain continuity and BELIEVE our organization will learn.

Guys we have a LOT of elite talent. It's scary how much talent we have. But it's not translating to the field for a full 60 minutes. When it does, we'll finally start the next leg of our journey: sustained success.

Fins Up!

Awesome Write-Up!

With all the bad press going on, nice to see it didn't get into the players heads. I only believe 50% of what the talking heads say, but I could have seen how all the 0-4 streak, Martin breakdown, losing 2 games in a row with a lead, then seemingly happening again last night...all that adds a lot of pressure, but Miami got it done! They stayed focused and played great (besides on 3rd downs) and "Wake is Back!"

When I saw Grimes laying in the endzone after that monster return, I said "get that man some oxygen!" then after the commercial break, they showed him sucking on the oxygen...too funny! :)

Positives
I urge others of you to join me and support the idea of NOT BLOWING THINGS UP. That includes the GM btw.

There is no good case to be made for keeping him. Look at all his drafts, garbage. Drafts are the foundation of a successful organization and he has failed repeatedly. Look at his all the big money he wasted on FA. You cant tell me the odds are against getting someone that will do better. On top of that he comes across as an a-hole.

Does anyone know who downed the Fields punt in OT on the 7? It was a great play and a key play that isn't being mentioned much. Our guy was down there right away and was able to grab the ball before it went into the end zone. If he's not there in perfect position the Bengals start at the 20 with much more breathing room.

short yardage wouldn't be so bad if they run QB sneaks or hand the ball to Clay at FB. we converted a QB sneak for a TD and a 3rd and short with a Fb dive do more of the same

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Does anyone know who downed the Fields punt in OT on the 7? It was a great play and a key play that isn't being mentioned much. Our guy was down there right away and was able to grab the ball before it went into the end zone. If he's not there in perfect position the Bengals start at the 20 with much more breathing room.

Jimmy Wilson I'm pretty sure

Back
Top Bottom