ARTICLE: LT to RT transition doesn't work! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ARTICLE: LT to RT transition doesn't work!

AccordOn13z

2014 "I Win" Champion.
Reaction score
I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire but I read Armando Salguero's late night post. I was shocked by how bad LT's preform at RT. Although, I hate
this clown, he sheds some light on the James pick. I was stressed about Martin and irate about Mosely but the more I analyze the pick the more I'm
OK with this pick. I just watched his game film vs Bama and South Carolina. He's consistently winning one vs one's and shutting guys down.

Now to the point. Salguero's article shines some light on the recurring failure that is the transition of a LT to RT. Every year LT's are drafted in the
first round and are "transitioned" to the RT position only to preform poorly. ALL top 3 left tackles drafted in the 1st last year were moved to RT. All 3
preformed badly. Eric Fisher the No. 1 pick ranked 70 out of 78 RT's last year!!

Here's the article give it a good read: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ane-johnson-gave-up-10-sacks-last-season.html

Lane Johnson looked pretty damn good to me. Although he played RT in college his junior year.

Lane Johnson looked pretty damn good to me. Although he played RT in college his junior year.

Lane spent half of his college career at RT and half his career at LT. Fittingly he was pretty bad for half of his rookie year and then pretty good the second half.

Armando is definitely on the right track though he has some details off. For example Morgan Moses only played 1 of 3 years at left tackle. He spent the other 2 years at right tackle. He could have easily slid into that RT spot too.

I think it's not well understood in the NFL what makes a good right tackle as opposed to left tackle...probably because too many assume they're the same, or rather that the guys who can't quite play on the left side most likely can play on the right.

If you correlate PFF ratings with draft position you find that the correlation at right tackle is only HALF that of the correlation at left tackle. What does that mean in layman's terms? It means that the performance of right tackles is more chaotic as opposed to orderly. The correlation coefficient is a measure of how orderly the performance is. The NFL does a good job with left tackles, they do a poor job with right tackles.

Personally I speculate one of the reasons they do a poor job is because they ignore some of the basics like getting a guy that they've seen play the spot for a lot of games and so they're able to frame his strengths and weaknesses well.

JaWuan James is a right tackle. He'll slide into that spot and play there immediately for 1000+ snaps. You can't have holes in your starting lineup because that's how you miss the playoffs even if you supposedly have talent. Dolphins put themselves in this position during free agency by not addressing the position seriously. As a result they have to go with a pick like this, a SAFE pick.

From here on out I would look for them to more aggressively go after the best available players on their board.

I totally agree and think this is a perfect right tackle....I just wonder if we could not have taken cooks and traded up for james?

I totally agree and think this is a perfect right tackle....I just wonder if we could not have taken cooks and traded up for james?

I think we would have given too much for those moves. Could we have traded down and gotten James? Perhaps, but we aren't in a luxury position to bet on that. So I'm OK with the slight reach. The goal in the 1st round is to draft a 100% solid starter on day 1 and we did just that.

I honestly like Allen Robinson more than Cook or Lee! I actually had him rated #4 (Watkins, Beckham Jr., Evans, Robinson). We need a big body receiver and he has flashed the Possesion and YAC ability. I have my fingers crossed for the 2nd round.

Back
Top Bottom