Article: NFL Offseason Grades | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: NFL Offseason Grades

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050410/SPORTS/504100341/1002/sports

Miami: Nick Saban is giving the Dolphins a makeover. And while the team still has plenty of needs, he has done more than anticipated given the team's cap situation at the start of free agency. Grade: B+
Other teams of interest:
New York Jets: How much do you want to bet Jay Fiedler faces the Dolphins at least once? Grade: B
New England: Re-teaming Terrell with his old college QB, Tom Brady, could pay off big, but this has actually been a rough offseason for the Super Bowl champs. Grade: C-
Buffalo: Dumping QB Drew Bledsoe was a risk, but losing DT Pat Williams and OT Jonas Jennings will really hurt. At least the Bills brought in QB Kelly Holcomb. Grade: D
:laughat: Buffalo Bills

I totally forgot about Terrell and Brady being together at Michigan. That could actually work for them. Good grade for us, probably the best offseason for a long time and we did it with minimal cap space. Saban still needs to win games and draft well though.

Thanks for the article Nublar.

How did the Jets receive a B? They should get a D along with the Bills. They lost McKenzie, Ferguson, Jordan (the STUD back up to a 31 year old Martin), not to mention the Abraham debacle and noodle arm Pennington's injury:roflmao:.

All they picked up was Jay Fiedler, Blaylock and Coles in a swap for Moss.

so-long-Ricky said:
Yea......because we really care about what some deadbeat reporter thinks of Buffalos off season moves. I guess according to this genius we should have signed JJ for more than the $12million signing bonus that he received.....and overpaying a DT that's 32years old for almost $5m a year.

Smart guy there........:shakeno:

The point is you didn't replace them or really try to re-sign them that much.

Cheapshotz said:
How did the Jets receive a B? They should get a D along with the Bills. They lost McKenzie, Ferguson, Jordan (the STUD back up to a 31 year old Martin), not to mention the Abraham debacle and noodle arm Pennington's injury:roflmao:.

LOL. I was just thinking they should loose two grades just for acquiring Fiedler. "Hiring you was like three good men leaving."

Dolfan2788 said:
The point is you didn't replace them or really try to re-sign them that much.

Well......we are still in the process of negotiating for LT Shelton from AZ for Travis. There are some hiccups in the trade but all indications appear that is will go through by draft day. If not some realignment on the offense line will be required (T Teague used to be a LT) and addressed in the draft as well.

As for the replacing Williams, it appears to be R Edwards job to lose. Granted, he is a notch or 2 below P Williams but that going to happen to certain positions in the salary cap era. Also, I believe that TD is trying to save some extra $ for the biggest FA we have next year that definitely needs to be signed, Nate Clements.

I like what the Bills did in the offseason. Jennings was not worth the $ he got, and Pat Williams is aging and they have Ron Edwards to fill in. The move to get rid of Bledsoe was a risk, but they were not gonna go anywhere meaningful with him as there Qb and Jp Losman will have growing pains as any young Qb does but he'll turn out to be a very good pro IMO. I still wish Spoilman would've taken him last year in the draft. The biggest loses in the offseason IMO were Crennel and Weis, and the Pats lucked out that the Bills foolishly hired Donahoe's boy Mularkey instead of either one last year. The biggest gains IMO were Hudson Houck and Coles, I won't put Saban there because I don't know how he'll be in the NFL, I think he'll be great but Houck is proven and I hope he does the same thing Jim McNally did for the Bills line to the Phins line. Just to put a name out there, if Saban decides not to take a RB with the #2 pick, does anyone else think Anthony Thomas should be given a look and atleast brought in.

so-long-Ricky said:
Well......we are still in the process of negotiating for LT Shelton from AZ for Travis. There are some hiccups in the trade but all indications appear that is will go through by draft day. If not some realignment on the offense line will be required (T Teague used to be a LT) and addressed in the draft as well.

As for the replacing Williams, it appears to be R Edwards job to lose. Granted, he is a notch or 2 below P Williams but that going to happen to certain positions in the salary cap era. Also, I believe that TD is trying to save some extra $ for the biggest FA we have next year that definitely needs to be signed, Nate Clements.

Good post, fair enough. But the grade is on what has happened so far, even you would agree it deserves a D.

so-long-Ricky said:

You can say what you want about the Bills saving cap space but in reality until Donahoe has an extension it does not matter. The biggest question the Bills have is whether or not Donahoe will be the GM in '06.

Cheapshotz said:

I hate the NYJ as much as anyone here but i cant kill them here. Ferguson was a good Dt but hes replaceable and not worth screwing up your cap for. Jordan was a back up and they tried all year to come up with a deal for him but it came down to PT which was something NYJ couldnt offer. McKenzie is really the only guy they lost who might be hard to replace. They upgraded bigtime with Coles who always gives us fits and who Pennington loves...he hasnt shut up in the NY press and sports radio up here in NY.

Now i hate sticking up for the NYJ so im going to slap myself hard now for doing so :(

Dolfan2788 said:
Good post, fair enough. But the grade is on what has happened so far, even you would agree it deserves a D.

I disagree......I won't say that we had a great off season (so far) but looking @ the overall picture and not paying over-the-hill FA top dollar makes economic sense.
Besides Holcomb they addressed the o-line w/FA guard Mike Gandy and o-lineman Anderson who's been the starter for the Ravens for the past few years.

I guess since we didn't make a huge "splash" in the FA market I guess it's considered a bad off-season. I just think the overall picture should be viewed while making this type of rating....that's all.

djfresh47 said:
You can say what you want about the Bills saving cap space but in reality until Donahoe has an extension it does not matter. The biggest question the Bills have is whether or not Donahoe will be the GM in '06.

Owner RW has already stated many times that TD can stay as long as he wants. So until TD quits or RW passes away (PLEASE NO!!) I don't see that happening

so-long-Ricky said:
I disagree......I won't say that we had a great off season (so far) but looking @ the overall picture and not paying over-the-hill FA top dollar makes economic sense.
Besides Holcomb they addressed the o-line w/FA guard Mike Gandy and o-lineman Anderson who's been the starter for the Ravens for the past few years.

I guess since we didn't make a huge "splash" in the FA market I guess it's considered a bad off-season. I just think the overall picture should be viewed while making this type of rating....that's all.

The overall picture wasn't taken in and you lost a good LT, a good run stuffing DT and a mediocre QB. You didn't replace any of them apart from get Kelly Holcomb who is no good, you keep fluffing up your offseason but the fact is it was not a good offseason and the draft grade is pretty close to how bad you guys did. (So far)

Back
Top Bottom