Article on dolphins dynasty | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on dolphins dynasty

What is or was the WFL? And does anyone know why they Plunked those players from us or were allowed to?

Orange FinFan said:
What is or was the WFL? And does anyone know why they Plunked those players from us or were allowed to?
Ir was a league made to compete with the NFL, something like the USFL

Orange FinFan said:

It was a competing league (now defunct). They came in and offerred big contracts and stole players. Joe Robbie was notoriously cheap so the players took the cash.

The other struggle the Pats face is that they are losing their coordinators. I only recall one SB team that lost both before (SF) and they didn't win anymore SBs. Most teams fade when they lose just one coordinator. The only one I recall who won a SB after losing a coordinator was Dallas who lost Wanny. They then lost Norv Turner the following year and never won again. There were other factors (age, defections) but losing the coordinators was big.

Orange FinFan said:
How long did it last? What happened to the players following the demise of it?

I think only two seasons. Most players either retired or came back to the NFL. Csonka played with the Giants when the World Football League folded and then spent a year or two with Miami, but was never as good. I don't recall what happened to Warfield and Kiick.

Still to this day, I have an argument with a long time Steelers fan and friend on this topic. The Steelers were just coming together and did not lose any signigant players to the WFL. The Dolphins took a torpedo in the side and just were not the same afterwards. The Dolphins would have kept rolling right throuh the mid 70's and the Steel Curtain would have been a steel window dressing!!!

rafael said:
I think only two seasons. Most players either retired or came back to the NFL. Csonka played with the Giants when the World Football League folded and then spent a year or two with Miami, but was never as good. I don't recall what happened to Warfield and Kiick.
Csonka came back and had a pretty good year, we met the Steelers in the playoffs, who were in the middle of their dynasty, and lost.

Warfield came back and finished his career in Cleveland where he started.

Kiick might have retired after that, don't remember.

Reading that website makes me sad, thinking what could of been for us...
Look at this, they're footnotes from the final standings of the two seasons that the WFL was in existance...

a - Was originally Washington-Baltimore and Virginia Ambassadors.
b - Was originally Boston Bulls. Started season as New York Stars. Was Charlotte Stars for one game after moving from New York.
c - Chicago forfeited final game to Philadelphia.
d - Franchise suspended prior to season's end.
e - Was originally Toronto Northmen.
f - Was originally first Memphis franchise. Started season as Houston Texans.
x - clinched division title.
y - clinched playoff berth.
z - gained Charlotte's playoff spot after Charlotte withdrew from playoffs.

a - Was originally Birmingham Americans.
b - Changed nickname after season to Grizzlies in attempt to enter NFL.
c - Was originally Jacksonville Sharks.
d - Was originally Florida Blazers.
e - Was originally Portland Storm.
f - Franchise suspended prior to season's end.

We lost our dynasty for this trash? Ugh... why the hell did so many cities in this league have TWO teams? Why did so many teams change names, uniforms, logos, even move between cities multiple times, for a league that only lasted two years! Ridiculous...

Back
Top Bottom