Article on future "DOLPHINS" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on future "DOLPHINS"

mia4ever

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Article on future "DOLPHINS" must read

Kendall Langford -http://www.progress-index.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19660845&BRD=2271&PAG=461&dept_id=462945&rfi=6

The 6-foot-6, 287-pound Langford is trying to catch on with the same team Malone’s son Michael tried out for last year as a wide receiver, and as Miami’s third-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Hampton University graduate already has an advantage.

Taken with the 66th overall pick after the Dolphins swapped places with the Detroit Lions at the top of the third round, Langford spent this weekend validating his selection at a three-day rookie mini-camp.

Miami’s first-year head coach, Tony Sparano, and his staff got their first look at Langford, the eight other draft picks and a slew of undrafted free agents and workout players over four practices —one each on Friday and Sunday and two on Saturday, and Sparano liked what he saw out of Langford.

“I see strength. I’d seen strength at the point of attack a little bit [Friday], you know the strength that you can see when you’re not in pads,” said Sparano, who spent the previous five seasons as an assistant coach with the Dallas Cowboys. “But I did see strength at the point of attack and I’d seen a kid that moved his feet pretty well for a big guy, which is what we thought when we drafted him. We were 1-15 last year so we don’t have too many developmental projects. … The best players on our team are going to play, no bones about it. If he’s the best, he’ll play.”
http://www.progress-index.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19660845&BRD=2271&PAG=461&dept_id=462945&rfi=6

Donald Thomas

MIAMI - Look at the physique on Dolphins" sixth-round draft pick Donald Thomas - short, massive neck; chest deeper than John Donne’s poetry; Exxon-profit-sized upper arms - and you would be excused for thinking Thomas (6-3, 303 pounds) must be a football player.

Which is ironic because, until a few years ago, the only thing Thomas couldn’t be was a football player.

Nothing outside pads, a playbook and a room at training camp are guaranteed for sixth-round picks. But the idea that Thomas might be a few months from being on an NFL roster a few years after being a walk-on at the University of Connecticut - with almost no high school football in his background - comes off as one of those Rudy-esque stories they reject in Hollywood these days.

"It’s crazy," Thomas said. "It doesn’t even register. It doesn’t seem like it’s real."

As a matter of fact, if Thomas had not been drafted, he figures he still would be in the classroom.

"Hopefully, I’d probably be substitute-teaching in the Bridgeport Conn. school system and hopefully getting some acceptance letters from some law schools and getting ready to go to law school in the fall," he said.

Thomas, like Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, is from New Haven, Conn. In addition to the pizza joints - "We talked a little bit about some pizza places on Wooster Street in New Haven, Sally’s or Pepe’s Pizza. He knows them well. That’s not good," Sparano joked - the city has a couple of universities: New Haven, where Sparano went and later served as head football coach, and a pretty fair school called Yale.

With that institution partnered with New Haven Hill Regional Career Magnet School, it helped make Hill Regional one of the places for the academically inclined.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...articleid=1092253&srvc=sports&position=recent

Shawn Murphy

Utah State's Shawn Murphy, son of former Atlanta Braves baseball star Dale Murphy, has quietly made a name for himself on the gridiron. He found home at offensive guard for the Aggies in 2007, receiving one of the top blocking consistency grades of any player at his position in the collegiate ranks last year. What makes it even more impressive was the fact that his senior season was just his second year playing on the offensive line.

Murphy's play earned him recognition as a legitimate NFL prospect in this year's draft which was held over the weekend. As expected, Murphy didn't receive a call from any NFL team on Saturday during the first two rounds of the draft. Though this wasn't a surprise, Murphy grew increasingly nervouse.

When day two of the NFL draft came, Shawn Murphy had just dozed off for a nap when his cell phone rang and joted him awake. He knew most likely what the call was about, but he didn't know what team was calling.

It was the Miami Dolphins calling to inform Murphy they would be selecting him with the 11th pick in the fourth round of the NFL draft on Sunday.

Five minutes later, Murphy heard his mother scream from the other room and realized his dream had become a reality.

"I guess my name flashed on the TV screen, so I didn't get to break the news personally," Murphy said. "But it was still fun. It really hasn't sunk in yet that I have been drafted. The magnitude hasn't hit me."

"I was getting really nervous and I am just glad I got the call right off the bat today," said Murphy. "If I had to sit around for a few more hours I would have been a nervous wreck. It's just an honor to play for the Dolphins, and I feel a responsibility to prove myself to them as a player."

Murphy was the first of four area players drafted on the final day of the NFL draft, three of which came in the fourth round.

Brigham Young linebacker Bryan Kehl was selected with the 24th pick in the fourth round by the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants.

The Giants traded the first of their three sixth-round choices, the 194th overall, to the Steelers in order to move up seven spots to select Kehl, who had a stellar season as the Cougar's weakside linebacker.
http://www.utahproathletes.com/events.asp?id=397

I likes the langford pick from the start. Here in Jacksonville all you ever hear about is Justin Durant whom is also from Hampton and he was considered the 2nd best defender on the team behind Langford.

Jake Long

After the Miami Dolphins gave Jake Long a $57.75-million contract, $30 million of which is guaranteed, I've heard about some mean streak that has made Long the best offensive tackle in college football and the top pick in the NFL draft.

Jake Long is mean? The same Jake Long I sat with in the third-base dugout at the Lapeer East softball diamond after a football practice in 2002?

Whatever happened to Pooh?

You can't be mean and have Pooh as your nickname.

"Jake isn't a big, nasty, intense guy," insisted Rob Rubick, the former Lion who now teaches at Lapeer West. "If you play hard and play to the whistle, they think you're mean. Jake plays hard and he finishes blocks.

"Jake's just like Lomas Brown and Rich Strenger. Those guys weren't mean."

No, Long hasn't changed. He is still the same youngster whom East principal Kelly Paige called her "gentle giant."

He is the same kid who gave East baseball coach Tim Phipps a hug every day in the hallway.

"A couple of weeks ago, I asked him what he was going to do now that he could wallpaper a house with $100 bills," Rubick said. "He said he wants to come back when he's finished playing and coach high school. Not pro, not college -- high school."

Some writers wondered why Bill Parcells would spend the overall No. 1 pick on a guy who is never going to touch the ball unless he falls on a teammate's fumble.

Well, Long is a coveted left tackle, who is responsible for having his quarterback's back. But this pick is about more than just a dynamite blocker.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080502/SPORTS09/805020392/1057/SPORTS

Williams Billingsley
Last year Billingsley had just completed a so-so senior season for a winless North Carolina A&T team. Few scouts attended his Pro Day. He never signed with an agent and ultimately didn't get a sniff from any NFL, CFL or Arena football teams.

At first he thought his football playing days were done. He started juggling two jobs and was working toward finishing his degree when a chance meeting with agent Eugene Parker landed Billingsley a two-week session with Tom Shaw, who is known as the guru of trainers for helping college prospects enhance their standing in the draft and keeping many NFL vets in top form.

Shaw has trained nearly 100 first-round draft picks for the Nike-sponsored SPARQ fitness organization he runs, which is based at the Disney Sports Complex in Lake Buena Vista. And here was Billingsley, the unknown, outperforming some of the draftees Shaw was training.

Billingsley's showing, and upside, earned him an endorsement from Shaw, who once served as New England's strength and conditioning coach. That endorsement landed him a few tryout invitations before the draft.

The Dolphins took the first look, and after he ran a fast 40-yard dash time and showed off his athleticism during NFL Combine based drills, the organization's top brass wouldn't let him leave the facility without signing a contract.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins05sbmay05,0,2697716.story

"Character" is usually a vague, ill-defined term thats thrown around a lot in the NFL.. every team values character, the Bengals and Raiders immediately come to mind :lol:

But in a serious note, Ireland and co. weren't lieing really... I said it before, I am very impressed with the level of intelligence (law school!?) and character on this O-Line. With proper coaching and experience, I'm telling you, we might have something special here.

Joey Thomas

The Miami Dolphins announced today that they signed cornerback Joey Thomas. The 6-1, 190-pounder originally was a third-round draft choice of Green Bay in 2004. He spent his entire rookie season with the Packers, while splitting the 2005 campaign between Green Bay and New Orleans.

In those two seasons, he played in 25 games, including one start, and totaled 31 tackles on defense and seven stops on special teams. He was released by the Saints prior to the 2006 regular season, while he was also in camp with Dallas in 2007.

Thomas played four years at Montana State (2000-03) where he recorded 11 career interceptions and was a two-time first-team All-Big Sky Conference performer. Born August 29, 1980, he attended John F. Kennedy High School in Burien, Wash

Good to hear thanks for the updates. I hope Langford will be a steal of the Draft. Sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom