Article on Harrington's ineffectiveness | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on Harrington's ineffectiveness

BeatCrazy2

FanFromBirth
Reaction score
I live in Toledo, Oh which is about 45 minutes from Detroit. I thought you might wanna read the article in our local newspaper about wonderful Joey Harrington. I for one think he is the worst quarterback to ever finish a season as a starter and even though I've heard some very boneheaded things on this site..........I am completely dumbfounded that there are actually people on here coveting his services. Here are a few quotes from the article.

Harrington, who self-
destructs in the heat of battle, earned the kind of money normally reserved for Super Bowl quarterbacks: $25 million over four years.

Rarely has a highly touted quarterback done so little while earning so much.

Only in America.

How in the name of Greg Landry did Harrington wind up as starting quarterback of the Lions?

How did it all go so wrong, so quickly?

However, his happy feet in the pocket, lack of leadership skills and 17-35 career record make you question the sanity of the Lions taking him third overall in the 2002 draft.

Harrington needed to have some success last season. He wasn't a rookie. He was sold to fans as a franchise quarterback.

Instead, he sold out Lions fans with another poor campaign

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060327/COLUMNIST09/603270385/-1/SPORTS

the difference is we are not wanting him to be our starting qb. We only need him as a backup. Just because he was a first round bust doesn't mean having less pressure on him, change of scenery, and a very good qb's coach won't change him into a quality backup qb. Remember if we get him were not going to pay top dollar. He will be a bargain, and will proabably have to restructure his deal if he's traded.

DolfanChris06 said:
ya he needs some serious coaching but the talent is there

the guy has failed miserably four years in a row, given every opportunity to succeed with an organization committed to surrounding him with top level talent. what proof do you have that with any kind of coaching he will be a good player? the talent is there - what talent exactly? talent to throw interceptions and lose the faith of your entire team? talent to pout and quit and not act like a man when you dont like your new head coach?

harrington reminds me of vito corleone (the second, definitely not the don) acting soft and betraying his team. marinelli is michael.

"...you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do. I don't want to see you at the hotels, I don't want you near my house. When you see our mother, I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there. You understand?"

Harrington was making good strides through his first three years in the league. Go look at his 2004 stats and tell me you wouldn't want those stats on the Dolphins. Those numbers look as good, if not better, than any produced by a Miami quarterback since Marino. Things fell apart last year. His receivers got hurt and his running game failed on him. I'm not really trying to defend him here, but even in a year as bad as last year he still threw for as many TDs as INTs and actually improved his completion percentage from 2004. Would I want him as the Dolphins starting quarterback? No. But if Miami can get him cheaply as a back-up, I don't think he's that bad of an option.

BeatCrazy2 said:
I live in Toledo, Oh which is about 45 minutes from Detroit. I thought you might wanna read the article in our local newspaper about wonderful Joey Harrington. I for one think he is the worst quarterback to ever finish a season as a starter and even though I've heard some very boneheaded things on this site..........I am completely dumbfounded that there are actually people on here coveting his services. Here are a few quotes from the article.

Harrington, who self-
destructs in the heat of battle, earned the kind of money normally reserved for Super Bowl quarterbacks: $25 million over four years.

Rarely has a highly touted quarterback done so little while earning so much.

Only in America.

How in the name of Greg Landry did Harrington wind up as starting quarterback of the Lions?

How did it all go so wrong, so quickly?

However, his happy feet in the pocket, lack of leadership skills and 17-35 career record make you question the sanity of the Lions taking him third overall in the 2002 draft.

Harrington needed to have some success last season. He wasn't a rookie. He was sold to fans as a franchise quarterback.

Instead, he sold out Lions fans with another poor campaign

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060327/COLUMNIST09/603270385/-1/SPORTS
Well the last time i checked the Detroit lions as an organization sucked as a whole, so to blame all the of the losses on harrington is way off basis. The way I see it, Detroit is using joey as a scapegoat! Its not like all the other offensive players were lighting up the boards either. With all that talent supposedly you would think they still would tear it up on offense.

The whole team underachieved and it starts with the GM then down.

AquaAssasin said:
Well the last time i checked the Detroit lions as an organization sucked as a whole, so to blame all the of the losses on harrington is way off basis. The way I see it, Detroit is using joey as a scapegoat! Its not like all the other offensive players were lighting up the boards either. With all that talent supposedly you would think they still would tear it up on offense.

The whole team underachieved and it starts with the GM then down.

No one is blaming all of their problems on Harrington. We are simply stating he is NOT a good QB. No matter which way you look at it. And Statistics really don't mean much . So what if he had "decent" stats one year. This is the real NFL, not fantasy football. To me, leadership and toughness are the most important. Harrington has neither. And if Culpepper goes down or can't start the season, I sure as hell don't want that panzi behind center. I have trust in Saban though. Harrington will not be in a Miami uniform this season !

hooserdaddy said:
the difference is we are not wanting him to be our starting qb. We only need him as a backup. Just because he was a first round bust doesn't mean having less pressure on him, change of scenery, and a very good qb's coach won't change him into a quality backup qb. Remember if we get him were not going to pay top dollar. He will be a bargain, and will proabably have to restructure his deal if he's traded.

:mrt:

Bargain huh ? Maybe for wandstedt

krazikarl said:
the guy has failed miserably four years in a row, given every opportunity to succeed with an organization committed to surrounding him with top level talent.

charles rogers missed 2 whole seasons because of injuries then came back and got suspended for substance abuse. roy williams and kevin jones are always nursing injuries. mike williams was a rookie with a bad attitude coming off a year layoff. and their o-line sucks. harrington has not had much help.

Harrington is one of those players I could go either way on and hope Saban makes the right decision. Before entirely dismissing him, one should first remember that Plunkett was largely considered washed up with NE before signing on with the Raiders... and subsequently helped them win two SBs.

Back
Top Bottom