Article on Marino, Young, Montana and Elway | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on Marino, Young, Montana and Elway

simbaboxer

Postive Realist
Reaction score
I am not a big Skip Bayless fan, but he does makes some good points in this article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/050808

Steve Young was not a first ballot guy in my opinion, and Elway doesn't compare to Marino either, but.....

.....Looking back at the days of Marino over the past few years, I began to think that Marino became his own worst enemy. He wanted the ball all the time, cause he knew he could be successful. I do agree that was his downfall. He was too good to trust others. He was the MAN. :hail:

That being said, I would still rather have had Marino that Montana, and his trophies. Winning isn't everything. Knowing the Dolphins had a chance to win, everytime Marino had the ball, was the the most exciting thing about Dan Marino. Guess that makes me a homer huh? :rofl3:

I hate Bayless but I have to admit that for once, I agree with everything he said in that article.

winning isnt everything? then what is? the point of playing games is to win....would i take montana over marino? no but thats because marino's success, or lack there of, had to do with the running game...but montana knew how to win when it counted.

here he says it right here

"Montana was the greatest quarterback ever. No quarterback has ever had a better understanding of how to win while being able to execute under the greatest pressure."

i loathe skip bayless....but i will give him credit, its a great article

OK, who has more comeback wins? Montana or Marino. That is exedcuting under pressure. Marino had to overcome on average the largest margin of points than Montana or Elway.
Who has more victories in his career?Keep in mind Elway and Montana had future Hall of Famers all over the Field, more so Montana. Elway had pro-bowl rbs', wrs' and many other positions than Marino ever did! Football is the ultimate team game!!!! Montana and Elway had 4&5 Super Bowl caliber "TEAMS"
Victoiers:
Elway, Marino and then Montana. Point is Elway had many more opportunities for comebacks than the other 2. Read the thread: The greatest of all time "let the facts speak for themselves". Elway had in just a 10 year span 40 more opps' than Montana and More than Marino by far.

Look at the big picture and throw out how Marino rubbed you the wrong way "SKIPPY"

I agree with that article.

I think it's pretty known Montana is #1 and you can argue where Dan sits as long as it's somewhere in the top 5. I think if you just give Dan ONE ring though he is argueably #1. I really don't have to go into why the ring thing is so important when comparing ONE guy and not a TEAM.

Only thing I would add to that article is..instead of saying give me Montana over Elway, Marino, Young. I think he should of said give me Montana's teams over any of the other players. Just curious..how many HOF players did Montana play with on those teams?

simbaboxer said:
I am not a big Skip Bayless fan, but he does makes some good points in this article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/050808

Steve Young was not a first ballot guy in my opinion, and Elway doesn't compare to Marino either, but.....

.....Looking back at the days of Marino over the past few years, I began to think that Marino became his own worst enemy. He wanted the ball all the time, cause he knew he could be successful. I do agree that was his downfall. He was too good to trust others. He was the MAN. :hail:

That being said, I would still rather have had Marino that Montana, and his trophies. Winning isn't everything. Knowing the Dolphins had a chance to win, everytime Marino had the ball, was the the most exciting thing about Dan Marino. Guess that makes me a homer huh? :rofl3:

I don't agree with the whole article, much of it is accurate but if Marino had been the quarterback of San Fran from 1983 to 1999 he would have won 5 or more Superbowls.

Also, this notion that Shula didn't try to find a back is ridiculous, he drafted David Overstreet in the first round 1982 but he died, he drafted Lorenzo Hampton number one in 1985 and he was basically a bust, he drafted Sammie Smith number one in 1989 and he busted as well. There were other backs drafted as well in other rounds, none of them had the goods of say a Rodger Craig drafted in round 2 by San Fran. Even Jimmy Johnson couldn't find an impact back except Cecil Collins and he went to jail.

The real truth is that Miami just didn't draft well during the prime of Marino's career. These writers like Bayless weren't closely following the Dolphins during those years nor do they remember the horrid drafts that occured between 1984 - 1995.

Its easy to make this claim that Marino was selfish now after the fact, but the truth is the only way Miami was gonna win games during those years was on the golden arm of Dan Marino, what other impact players did Miami possess?

Was it Marino's fault they didn't draft well? Is the writer insinuating that Marino's selfishness kept Don Shula and company from drafting well?

Ridiculous!

Back
Top Bottom