As a GM... how do you decide | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As a GM... how do you decide

mwestberry

Club Member
Reaction score
I realize many will say just draft Tua .... but for the sake of conversation .....

Decisions are about to be made without the usual fanfare of workouts and interviews ... as a GM (or FO) what changes or more specifically how do you draft or trade with confidence without being able to put a FINAL due diligence report together?

I know every year blah blah blah and coaches and GM's career's are on the line ... but this year things could go south quickly for some ....

how much will the quarantine affect draft decisions and is accountability still held to the same standard?

I think it is. A GM is no different than you, I or anyone except for the fact that his livelihood depends upon who he drafts and how well the team performs. The GM does have contacts, scouts, networking etc to assist but in reality he picks a college player who he feels will perform like a pro bowler... it’s hot or miss

these times are certainly extraordinarily unusual and makes things more difficult but a pick is a pick ultimately

I can't remember a draft that I've looked forward to more than this one. Sure, the virus has a lot to do with things, but Grier and Co are still accountable for the decisions they're about to make. They literally can turn this team into contenders immediately, if they make the right picks.

Last edited:
I realize many will say just draft Tua .... but for the sake of conversation .....

Decisions are about to be made without the usual fanfare of workouts and interviews ... as a GM (or FO) what changes or more specifically how do you draft or trade with confidence without being able to put a FINAL due diligence report together?

I know every year blah blah blah and coaches and GM's career's are on the line ... but this year things could go south quickly for some ....

how much will the quarantine affect draft decisions and is accountability still held to the same standard?

The bad news is covid WILL hurt evaluations and investigations the good news is it will affect all 32 teams

I have always thought the time between the end of the season and the Draft was too long.

Teams talk themselves in to and out of and back in to players.

I firmly believe if you held a Draft March 1, April 1 and May 1 they would all go very differently.

I know they want all the information they can get but too much information will paralyze you.

IF I really liked a prospect's film I would not let a workout or an interview talk me out of him. and vice versa as well.

Why scout the games and look at tape if you are going to overrule your scouts because of 40 times, interviews and IQ tests?

The teams with good scouts who actually trust them will do well.

The teams that throw away hours of tape study because a guy is 5-11 and not 6-1 will struggle.

They’ve got plenty of resources there is no excuses

There should be no excuses. You will always miss on players but it should never be for things you can control....from a lack of effort, film study, attendance at postseason events, background checks, interviews, etc.

In an interview with Urban Meyer, he specifically says certain NFL teams do not reach out to staff for input on players.....strength coaches, staff, etc. He said those teams are easy to pick out because they don't win, unlike a guy like Belichick who reached out to everyone, but that could be lip service. Then again, some guys are lazy or just feel like the information will be bias anyway and don't waste the time. It's not about the specific answers. It's about how those answers are framed, knowing what you can and cannot trust and just building relationships with the guys who interact with these players on a daily basis.

I bet the Jaquars wish they would have done due diligence on Justin Blackmon before drafting a guy with a serious alcohol problem.

There may be no excuses because of resources (film study etc.) available .... and yes "the good news is" it affects all 32 teams ... but you can't tell me this quarantine will not affect decisions somehow ...

It affects all teams but Tua has and is the Wildcard in this draft. This is the one injured player we are specifically looking over that could make or break our draft. This is the reason I would not risk more capital to move up. Take him at 5, no problem but with no last minute medical? No

Back
Top Bottom